Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Whats the point in linked scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederik Hede
msg tools
I have thought about this quite a lot. What is the point in not going back to gloomhaven between linked scenarios?
I get that you wont get a road event, which might give you a disadvantage in the next scenario. But you cant donate to the church, wont get city and road events(which might unlock more stuff). So why use the linked scenario function at all? Am i missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Taylor
msg tools
mb
You might not want your character to retire just yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid a road event at the cost of missing city stuff. Just like you said. AND if a scenario is linked to Gloomhaven, you don't get a road event at all.

This would probably work better / make more sense if linked scenarios were obviously more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
In my opinion, there is really no benefit in using linked scenarios.

That being said, I think it is more of a thematic thing. Story-wise, you are probably going from one linked scenario to the other, it would be weird if there was a road event in the middle. For some people this is important, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Linked scenarios are thematically onesthat happen in the same place (Kill everything in Session A, walk out the door into Session B).

This means:
- Your character shouldn't level and gain a new skill, gain more items, or be blessed while walking through a door.
- You don't get the positives or negatives of city and road events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely seems like it much more of a thematic thing than a mechanical thing. My group stayed from Black Barrow to Barrow Lair, but we haven't NOT gone back to Gloomhaven after a scenario since then. There's too much benefit to going back to worry about the possibility of a negative road event. To the OP: no, I don't think you're missing anything. There really isn't much point in linked scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Hede
msg tools
Thanks, that was all i wanted to know
There are so many road events and possible outcomes that we always go back to gloomhaven between scenarios, we havent filled the church coffers yet so there is still much to see and do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if you really want to add to the thematic/roleplaying flavor, you could create a variant where you CAN'T return to Gloomhaven between linked scenarios, and that the same characters that did scenario 1 (for example) would have to do scenario 2, since they are linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.