Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david roseborough
United States
Topanga
california
flag msg tools
mb
Question in the text it says “when you gain this on your turn you may spend 2 aether if you do any ally also gains VG” does that mean you can automatically spend 2 aether even if you don’t have in hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, only the magician can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only spend aether if you have some.
And that is aether that is spent in addition to the card's cost.
You cannot play aether from your hand, you have to generate it first by playing cards or casting spells. Then you substrat the aether from your pool.

In Volcanic Glass's case it gives you a discount on a second copy of the card if you manage to have enough aether. If you don't then the discount is lost, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
You can only spend aether if you have some.
And that is aether that is spent in addition to the card's cost.
You cannot play aether from your hand, you have to generate it first by playing cards or casting spells. Then you substrat the aether from your pool.

In Volcanic Glass's case it gives you a discount on a second copy of the card if you manage to have enough aether. If you don't then the discount is lost, sorry

Plus the second copy goes to an Ally, if I'm reading it correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
Plus the second copy goes to an Ally, if I'm reading it correctly?

Yeah you're spreading the wealth, not scrooging it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Østrem
msg tools
Just to clarify, to take advantage of VG you need to have at least 5 aether on hand? 3 to buy it, then 2 to spend for something else and then gift another VG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameMagus wrote:
Just to clarify, to take advantage of VG you need to have at least 5 aether on hand? 3 to buy it, then 2 to spend for something else and then gift another VG?

Yes. Buy it for 3, spend an extra 2 to give anothe copy to a pal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
then 2 to spend for something else

I don't think that is right, you spend 2 more aether to gift the gem to an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Daddiodaddio wrote:
then 2 to spend for something else

I don't think that is right, you spend 2 more aether to gift the gem to an ally.

No, the ‘gain 2e’ is triggered when it is in your hand. When you BUY the card, it goes into your discard, so you don’t get the aether that turn. You just get to spend another 2, to buy VC at a discount for an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Østrem
msg tools
Thanks for clarifying. Really appreciate the willingness to assist and advice from the community 😊👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And more interestingly, does this card chain? That is, can the ally do the same and pay? They are indeed gaining the card, the ability is not triggered by playing it and they would be allowed to spend the aether in their turn by the rule in the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
And more interestingly, does this card chain? That is, can the ally do the same and pay? They are indeed gaining the card, the ability is not triggered by playing it and they would be allowed to spend the aether in their turn by the rule in the card.

Since it's not your ally's turn, they won't be able to play cards to trigger Volcanic Glass. When it's your ally's turn, Volcanic Glass was gained in a different turn, so it can no longer trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that, but also think this could fit as a "specific beats general", as the card is now allowing you do so (pay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
I can see that, but also think this could fit as a "specific beats general", as the card is now allowing you do so (pay).

There currently isn't any way to gain aether outside of your turn.
If there was though I suppose the special case would allow you to chain the effect?
Reading card is OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volcanic glass specifically says "When you gain this on your turn". Even the specific rule explicitly prevents you from doing so.

(The relevant text is, "When you gain this on your turn, you may spend 2 aether. If you do, any ally also gains a Volcanic Glass and places it on top of their deck.")

Without that phrase, an ally would need to have 2 aether ahead of time, but if they somehow gained 2 aether off-turn, theoretically, it could chain. However, I'm not aware of any current mechanisms for gaining aether off-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah I missed that.
That's what you get from not having the card pictured arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.