5 Posts

Space Hulk» Forums » General

Subject: A Space Hulk tale... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't recall how I first heard about GW but my friend and I bought the first version of Space Hulk when it was released c'89/90. We enjoyed playing it and the Deathwing expansion but then moved onto Space Marine/Titan Legions. Then the rest of life took over and our games gathered dust in my friend's loft until a few years ago when I agreed to pick them up and then sell them on E-bay...

...Except that I didn't, and started playing SH again using the solitaire rules - after many years of playing computer games, its been great going back to a Board Game (also play Carcassonne and Catan with the family). Eventually sold my Space Marine stuff, but an interested buyer in my village asked if I still played, and we now play SH (and he has just bought a copy of Necromunda so we're getting into that as well).

I now use the 2009 rules with my first edition, but similar to other comments elsewhere, have reduced the power of the Librarian (no CP ability and other psychic powers cost 4 psi points) but use Deathwing rules for my Captain (but only 1 extra CP and 8 grenades). Instead of Broodlord have a 'Lesser' Broodlord (appears as 2-Blip, same as normal Stealer but with Mighty Blow and a reduced Hard to Kill which includes area weapons). For solitaire missions I add an extra Blip reinforcement per turn, but blips appear at entry points based on die roll, with higher frequencies for more critical areas and as Marines pass certain points on the board.

Future plans were to acquire Genestealer expansion, but agree with other comments elsewhere that psychic rules may slow game down. However, I have already scanned copies of other room sections to build my own set of the expansion tiles, so I may do this instead to play campaigns using these expanded rooms. My new SH opponent is also getting the Genestealer cultists army, so we can then use them as per the new rules in Dec 2017 White Dwarf.

Great to see so much SH related links and ideas out there, will continue playing SH for many years to come...

Quick question - it seems that GW re-released the 3rd edition of SH c2017, but did the rules change from the 2009 release?

Have also attached a pic of my SH squaddies:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the first edition and Deathwing at the same time as Leading Edge’s Aliens (which actually had the Aliens IP). Both seemed like a similar theme. Aliens played better solo by far but came with poorer components and a limited selection of missions. Space Hulk was a lot more fun with someone to play with, though I’ve never been satisfied with the solo Deathwing rules.

I found a battered copy of Genestealer on eBay last year and had to replace a few of the minis but it was otherwise intact. I also bought the fourth edition and was a bit dissapointed with the minis. They were cool, but functionally, they often refused to remain standing up on the board. And though I hoped for better solo rules, I was dissapointed.

I know this would be heresy (no pun intended), but I almost wish they had been a little more aggressive with a rework of the game for fourth edition including good AI for the Genestealers whose repertoire of action is pretty limited anyway. I mean playing the Genestealers in the old days was more a responsibility than a pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuderia Scalextric wrote:
Quick question - it seems that GW re-released the 3rd edition of SH c2017, but did the rules change from the 2009 release?

The 2009 version was the 3rd Edition. Despite minor changes, GW choose to call the latest edition the 4th. There are not enough changes to justify a buy, unless you just want it. It changed LOS a bit (for the better), changed firing in Overwatch to voluntary (for the worse), and added boarding torpedoes (fun, but not decisive). There's a pdf out there that summarizes the changes.

Lots of folks split the marine squads between two or more players, and AI the Genestealers. GW could do lot's of fun stuff with AI Genestealers.

Hat's off to a couple of buyers of the original game when it was new. I was a bit later to the game (1991-ish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the update on the 4th edition.

Half the fun of SH is being able to adapt the various rules - I have played solitaire against Power Armoured Marines (from my copy of Space Crusade) where they essentially move and shoot towards me(or flamer and missile launchers advance until they can fire). Also take in account saving throws for both types of armour, although does slow the game down a bit...

Having more interesting stealer forces does make for a more satisfying game for the non-marine player, and will be interesting to see how the cultists get on (and I may get the Genestealer expansion hybrids).

Remember seeing Aliens board game around the same time as SH, and I recall nearly buying it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
Some ideas to spice things up a bit for the Tyranid player that I use:

1. Use Hormagaunts and Termagants when you uncover Blips.
2. Consider using Rippers that over turns can develop into Genestealers or other Gaunts.
3. Use Tyranid Warriors and a Broodlord.

We've played games with these and we've also mixed up using Power-Armour Marines too to complement the Terminators but also used exclusively for some missions. I also have a couple of Dreadnoughts and you could use the teleporter to teleport them into key areas of the map. I use the teleporters fromt he Blood-Angels Terminators box and soem from the Deathwatch game.

It was an idea that I had on my mind for a few years to use Chaos Terminators for SH games and having seen the Death-Guard I felt it was time to get some and then have them paitned up and use them. I can't tell you how good this is ideas wise as I've yet to play missions with them but it should 'even things' up a bit as they 'fire back'

I also have Chaos-Cultists but they are a bit too puny to be fun

Hope that gives you some more ideas and I agree with you that SH is very flexible and lends itself very well to long-term and varied gaming as its sophisticated enough yet isn't hampered by its own complexity. I regularly bolt on other miniatures and develop rules for play and it's pretty easy to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.