Subject: Building Trans Mississippi Forts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kolenda
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I am new to the game, and am playing solo on Vassal to learn the rules. In my game, the South is using Trans-Mississippi cards to build forts on the west side of the Mississippi. Now that the North is able to invade in the West, taking or surrounding the forts is taking quite a bit of Northern resources. Anyone else run into this strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren’t that many total forts for the south, so if they stack in the TM it’ll certainly leave them short elsewhere, and more so the forts above +2.

Deciding where to place the CSA forts requires a total theatre strategy. Generally speaking it’s often better to attack where the CSA doesn’t want you to, rather than trying to match them wherever they lay their best defence. The Union is stronger but not enough to just smash its way through any obstacles.

The number of attack lines in the TM is somewhat limited so it can be quite easy to lay a roadblock of a fort in the way. Some disadvantages to this is...it’s not so easy to reinforce manpower in the TM due to rail network and lack of sps that are given to the TM. So taking initial losses to attrite a fort (and yes that’s not a given), can work in terms of lack of CSA reinforcement. I have played games where the TM ends up a war zone out of all proportion to its general worth, it can be easy to just end up throwing more and more into the area, buts it’s always mostly piecemeal. 6sp in the TM is a reasonable force, above that takes real commitment to generate and sustain.

Try not to be a totally reactive player to a certain strategy, attack where unexpected, make the other side react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if the forts are on the west bank, they aren't defending the important cities on the east bank. You might make navigation more difficult, but I'm not sure that's as good as protecting objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kolenda
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I was thinking that opening up the Mississippi would provide the Union an unassailable supply line. The Union brain of my solo game is concerned that the rail lines and depots going north would be harder to guard, than having Union ports on the Mississippi. Also, what else should the CSA do with Trans Mississippi cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, use the Trans-Miss cards to move forces out of the theater and into one where they're more useful springs to mind. It's a tertiary theater and even were you to lose it, it's not as important as holding other areas.

Interrupting the supply line isn't the worst idea, but it'd be better to do that while you're using the fort counters to defend something with greater inherent value is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
Try shifting the Union's attention East of the river. Nashville/Chattanooga/Knoxville are all valid targets. While doing this, always have a 3SP stack ready to hit a river fort (ideally with a card). Once the Confederates move their forces East to match your aggression, wait for an opportunity to strike a fort at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.