Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James D
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Monsoon season and the US finds itself in a very perilous situation. To conserve air power only 14 points have been sent north for unrestricted bombing (scoring only 1 hit) and none against the trail. Fortunately, the NVA air defense strength of 3 failed to shoot any down.

Starting air mobile points was at 29. 4 more were brought in, raising that total to 31.
12 new Air were brought in raising that total to 91.

Between commitment to strategic bombing and the monsoon rains the US only had 24 Air-Mobile and 57 Air points. This shortage would prove to handicap US operations for the turn.

Starting Replacements:
NVA: 1
VC: 24
US: 25
ARVN: 50

In the previous interphase the 1st infantry Division landed in Da Nang. However the shortage of Air-Mobile and Air support would mean most of this division did not see any action. It was a wasted commitment by me.

The 1st Cav and 101st Air-Mobile did do a good job of cleaning the VC out of most of IV corps, but the Marines and ground infantry in the rest of the country did not fare as well. The NLF player had a nasty surprise in store for me. At the end of the 1st turn, when the US only had 3 air support left, 3 VC divisions would attack border outposts manned by small ARVN battalions in Chou Doc, Kien Phong and Hau Nghia.

Two provincial capitols would fall in the first attacks and the VC wold destroy 1 ARVN armor battalion and drive 1 infantry battalion out of his position. I decided to stand my ground in Hau Ngia. I ran in one regiment from the Korean capitol division from Saigon as an offensive reserve. Later a brigade and HQ from the 3rd ARVN division would be brought in also. This worked. The vicious attack was successfully blunted but in doing so I had to vacate two other provincial capitols. My logic was that one way or another I was going to lose a provincial capitol, but I decided to fight the VC and destroy his attack on a non-offensive turn. I did bloody the NLF nose but I lacked the support to really stick it to him.

Ending Replacements:
NVA: 1
VC: 7
US: 15
ARVN: 21

After this disastrous turn, the ARVN government fell in a coup. I feel like the US/FWA position is becoming untenable. Its a matter of time when the country will fall tot he communists. The unstable government and ineffective ARVN army is a huge problem for me.

Regardless, I will stay at it. Maybe, just maybe the ARVN will pull their heads out of their butts and fight for their own country so we won't have to.

We know thanks to the "Pentagon Papers", this is exactly how MacNamara and LBJ viewed their position in South Vietnam. Funny how history repeats itself, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.