Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: core edition 2017 price = 450 eu? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi

i watched the unboxing of the KDM 1.5 (2017) core box. It has the components of a stanard Games Workshop board game / starter box. (Games Workshop is also the most expensive company on the miniatures market so lets assume KDM should be cheaper than the said GW boxed game or at least as expensive).

Than i saw the prices on the geek market - 450 euro.
What is included in this total amount of 450 eu? All the KS SGs? Do not tell me its the 1 starter box for 450 eu.

And the most important question: can this game be ordered from any European retailer shop? Is there an EU retailer who will proved the local shops with the copy of KDM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Warhammer player, but I know this isn't Warhammer. So trying to compare them and equate prices will lead you nowhere. KDM has a really impressive monster AI system so you can play solo. I don't know if you're a solo player, but that would be one huge difference right there.

There really weren't stretch goals like you normally see in a KS. The core box was defined by the first KS. The 1.5 KS has a changelog graphic showing the new items included this time. The bonus content that was revealed like typical stretch goals are all included in something called the Gambler's Chest. It is a separate item from the core box. It was $100 during the KS (or $50 if you snagged one of the limited pledge tiers), but I believe the price was raised to $150 the last time the pledge manager was opened. Some people think it will climb even higher as the contents get finalized. If you are into minis, the chest contains quite a few. Plus a lot of game content.

AFAIK KDM is purely direct sales only. The USD price for the 1.5 core is $400 at the Kingdom Death Shop and includes shipping (the box is enormous and heavy). I believe that is the price you would pay in Europe as well. Again, the Gambler's Chest--and any other expansions for that matter--would be a separate purchase. If you did see this in a shop, I would expect the price to be much higher (unless that retailer snagged one of the deeply discounted Satan-level pledges during the campaign).

Yes, it is expensive. But it is also a quality product and a unique experience. No, it is not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
400 euros is the going rate I thought? But if it's out of stock that could explain the bump. You might click on the link though and see if the seller is throwing in sleeves or something (lots of good deals in those high dollar listings some times!).

As for getting it retail, nope. KDM is sold by one guy with warehouses across the world. No online discounter for you!

But... he does have sales every Black Friday I think. Usually 50% off (so only €200).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grégory Baczynski
France
Nancy
Lorraine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

You can buy the core box at https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/in-stock for 400$, so less than 400€ I guess.

The closest shop is in UK if I remember well for European people.

And for 400$, you get one of the best "boardgame" ever made, with enough stuff for years of playing. And if it is not enough, then you can buy expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I am (or at least I was cry ) a Warhammer player, but Warhammer and Kingdom Death: Monster are very different games, apart from the hobby aspect where they are quite similar.

In Warhammer you cited the starter box that may be enough to learn the basics, but you (and a friend of yours) will need to spend more money to upgrade and expand your army, then you will need a table, some scenary, and so on.

In Kingdom Death: Monster for 400$ on its website you can buy the core game (not starter, core) and with it alone you and up to three other friends of yours can play the complete game: everything you need is in there and the expansions will only add some variaty, but are not required to play the game.

And lastly, since we are comparing the prices, a complete Warhammer army costs waaaaay more than KD:M with some expansions, if not all of them.

This reminds me that I have to dust all my High Elves, or they'll get angry (my Vampire Counts, instead, don't mind it zombie).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it direct from the maker, that's the cheapest price. Anyone selling for 450 Euro is just a scalper trying to take advantage of marketplace-confusion. It's entirely possible they'll even just place the order on the KDM website to get it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorelas wrote:
It has the components of a stanard Games Workshop board game / starter box.

Patently false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
dorelas wrote:
Hi

i watched the unboxing of the KDM 1.5 (2017) core box. It has the components of a stanard Games Workshop board game / starter box. (Games Workshop is also the most expensive company on the miniatures market so lets assume KDM should be cheaper than the said GW boxed game or at least as expensive).

Than i saw the prices on the geek market - 450 euro.
What is included in this total amount of 450 eu? All the KS SGs? Do not tell me its the 1 starter box for 450 eu.

And the most important question: can this game be ordered from any European retailer shop? Is there an EU retailer who will proved the local shops with the copy of KDM?

320 euros (400$) shipping included (i guess) you can buy it from official shop... it has the UK warehouse so no taxes either.

It has about 50 high quality miniatures of wich 13 enemies 8 non customizable survivors and 30 fully customizable survivors with different armors heads weapons poses etc (those lasts are worse quality compared to the rest).

It also has lot of quality components like a huge book with hard covers, lot of cards etc etc .

To play you need just 6 characters at most other are just for customization (you can build them as the items you get in the game but unless you magnetize that and its a looong work, you will be able to build 28 extra at most).

Quality is comparable to best WH silver tower (that imho are the best GW minis) minis some more some less detailed but all way harder to assemble but moreover due to the assembling (often exhaggerated imho) you get more tridimensional effect on each mini compared to GW that are limited to sprues + easy assembly.

Except the customizable that are somehow worse. (i only built 2 customizable and the 8 non customizable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for example:

KM core comes with this phoenix.

You pay 50€ for this Warhammer phoenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
Just for example:

KM core comes with this phoenix.

You pay 50€ for this Warhammer phoenix.

LOL

Comparing KDM Miniatures with Warhammer Minis is like stating a 1€ red wine tastes the same has a Douro (10\12€ (not even going for more expensive) red wine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks a lot for the links and info about EU friendly warehouses. As i am in no hurry (hundred of piled games begging me to play them) i have a question: does Black Friday really have such a huge discount? If yes is it severly limited and all gone in a few seconds? i would gladly take KDM on Black Friday.
I also see my mistakes, thx for explaining me the core box is practically the whole game (no SGs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Black Friday discount tends to be 50%. As for how fast things will sell....? Some people will very confidently tell you that Poots (the creator) will print up much more product and try to keep it in stock longer. They base this on the latest Kickstarter, which posted huge numbers. My opinion, however, is that he might not be interested in expanding his warehouse operations because (theoretically) most interested buyers will have already purchased the game and expansions via the KS. And he has so many new expansions being designed and produced, I don't think he wants product sitting on his shelves.

I'm not even sure there is any guarantee that core sets will still be in stock in 9 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chinh Tran
msg tools
mbmbmb
dorelas wrote:

i watched the unboxing of the KDM 1.5 (2017) core box. It has the components of a stanard Games Workshop board game / starter box.

I just wanted to point out, the KDM 1.5 core box weighs 19 pounds! I have a long history with Games Workshop, and nothing they produce has come close to this in terms of content, and in my opinion, value for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:

Comparing KDM Miniatures with Warhammer Minis is like stating a 1€ red wine tastes the same has a Douro (10\12€ (not even going for more expensive) red wine

I'll just ignore that comparison with wines

About BF discounts, except the very first black friday (in which you could enter at revised kickstarter prices), the discount for core game has always been 25%.

For expansions and the rest of stuff on sale, though, yes, discounts have been ranging in 30-50% brackets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is it known when these sales happen? Is a Black Friday a surprise or is it happening in the foreseeable time ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Cobeña
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorelas wrote:
Is it known when these sales happen? Is a Black Friday a surprise or is it happening in the foreseeable time ?

Black friday should be a safe bet but not a guaranteed one. Last year, as a black friday offer, Poots reopened the pledge manager while the store only offered discounts on pinups and other non-gamplay related items.

The KDM shop usually waits for major USA holidays to put things on sale so I'd keep an eye on it during all major holidays if you don't want to miss out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gvt2000 wrote:
dorelas wrote:

Black friday should be a safe bet but not a guaranteed one. Last year, as a black friday offer, Poots reopened the pledge manager while the store only offered discounts on pinups and other non-gamplay related items.

The KDM shop usually waits for major USA holidays to put things on sale so I'd keep an eye on it during all major holidays if you don't want to miss out

I'm hoping that there'll be a big sale on Black Friday 2019, so I can dive in and pick up things I haven't been able to afford until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorelas wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
dorelas wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Oh, the knowledge we take for granted.

If you want to follow/buy KDM, it's best to know the US holidays. For example, limited edition dice in special colors have been released on holidays like Easter and Christmas. They tend to sell out in days and have not been repeated (to the best of my knowledge).

There is a link in the top right on the KDM shop page that says "get updates". Sign up for that and you will be notified of sales. I'm not a fan of Twitter, but following KDM on Twitter will get you even more info. (For example, due to a tweet we know we will get a production update tomorrow, on Valentine's Day. We don't know if any new product, such as dice, will be simultaneously released.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thank you ! Thanks to your support i start to get acquainted with this project. Somehow i was always panic stricken when it comes to this game. The worst thing about the very 1st kickstarter was, it not being EU friendly (shipping and taxes are nightmare in EU).

So the idea of the 1.5 core box is that it is not only simply a "core box" but a "core box + expansions" , right?

Which of the expansions not included in 1.5 would you describe as absolutely indispensable for this game? Or maybe there are none and all the best stuff is already included in 1.5 box?

PS - funny thing about taxes. Somebody told me that taxes are only for the products which are also available on the other continent. He was very suprised when i told him that board games are always being held by customs. According to him if a company is in USA and no same product is in EU , it can not be charged by customs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expensive game is expensive. The $12 million the kickstarter raised says there's an audience for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
dorelas wrote:
thank you ! Thanks to your support i start to get acquainted with this project. Somehow i was always panic stricken when it comes to this game. The worst thing about the very 1st kickstarter was, it not being EU friendly (shipping and taxes are nightmare in EU).

So the idea of the 1.5 core box is that it is not only simply a "core box" but a "core box + expansions" , right?

Which of the expansions not included in 1.5 would you describe as absolutely indispensable for this game? Or maybe there are none and all the best stuff is already included in 1.5 box?

PS - funny thing about taxes. Somebody told me that taxes are only for the products which are also available on the other continent. He was very suprised when i told him that board games are always being held by customs. According to him if a company is in USA and no same product is in EU , it can not be charged by customs.

You're sort of right with 1.5 core box having some "expansions" compared to version 1.3 (the first kickstarter) -- it has an additional boss, more fleshed out endgame, and a lot of gear and rules have been tweaked/updated. But that's just considered the new Core, none of those upgrades are really an "expansion".

For real expansions, the ones that people call out a lot are Gorm (for the early game), Dragon King and Sunstalker (for their alternate campaign formats), Dung Beetle Knight (for mid to late game), and Manhunter and Slenderman (for nemesis fights).

If you want spoilers but in-depth reviews check out this guide, it's extremely in-depth. If you just want a quick overview without spoilers it gives each expansion a star rating that you can just glance at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorelas wrote:

Not really. The 1.5 Core is a full game extended to a "25-year" campaign. The scope compares favorably with board game campaigns that are typically less than half as long.

One can buy expansions that add or swap with the Core game content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorelas wrote:

That probably depends on the tax law of the specific country. It's certainly not true in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
dorelas wrote:

That probably depends on the tax law of the specific country. It's certainly not true in Germany.

Yeah, he should contact his Customs house to see how much tax / duty / VAT he would owe if he were to import the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.