Ben Axelson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Haven't gotten a satisfactory response on this from any of my friends who play, so I thought I'd ask here. They're all pretty casual about it so they just say "yeah, let it fizzle." I'm casual too, but I still like to get the rules right if there's a chance I have them wrong.

Spreading Nanovirus says "you may have the player on your left gain this wound" as a method to get rid of it.

Unbreakable Cage lets you reveal it whenever a player would gain a wound and "Investigate for any card instead".

I was in solo mode, so here's how I played the hand: I pass Spreading Nanovirus to the player to my left, which is me. As I gain the wound from myself, I reveal Unbreakable Cage and this causes the wound to get KO'ed, since the initiating player completed getting rid of it and the receiving player blocked it via the word "instead."

Did I do this right? It occurs to me that the alternative would be the wound just sits in my hand, because for example, if the wound gain I was blocking came out of the wound stack instead of another player, it would just go back to the wound stack. So in this case, would the wound have just "gone back to me"?

The problem I guess boils down to LCN not specifying what happens to the wound that would be gained. In most cases it wouldn't matter because it would just go back to the pile, but since it comes from a player I want to be sure of the correct way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting pair.

I'd be tempted to say it stays in your hand. If you were gaining a wound from the wound pile, you wouldn't KO it, it would just stay in the pile. So in this case, it would also stay in the source which is your hand instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m with Jason on this one. The Wound is not gained, but that doesn’t mean it’s KOed. Keep it in your hand.

The question then becomes: how many times can you attempt to give the Wound away and reveal Unbreakable Cage? Once? Infinite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about "instead." The wound stays in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
I’m with Jason on this one. The Wound is not gained, but that doesn’t mean it’s KOed. Keep it in your hand.

The question then becomes: how many times can you attempt to give the Wound away and reveal Unbreakable Cage? Once? Infinite?

Once, because the card says you can only do it once.

Devin Low has already confirmed previously that if playing solo and something tells you to do it to the player on your left or right, you do it to yourself, so it seems certain you can pass the wound to yourself.

Unbreakable Cage states: "Once per turn, if a player would gain a Wound you may reveal this card and Investigate for any card instead."

As pointed out, if the Wound came from the Wound stack and you used this card, it would just stay in the Wound stack, not get KO'd or anything like that. By this same reason, the Nanovirus wound would just stay where it is, your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Captain America's Diving Block?

Quote:
If you would gain a Wound, you may reveal this card and draw a card instead.

Can I just keep passing the Wound to myself and drawing cards until my deck runs out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Once, because the card says you can only do it once.

Oh. Poop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Quote:

Can I just keep passing the Wound to myself and drawing cards until my deck runs out?

I don't see why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Quote:

Seems legit thanks to the wording. I'd say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's back up a second... I'm not sure you can pass a card to yourself. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, even if you are the player on your left and the player on your right in solo. Passing a card implies a giving and a taking. Can you take something from yourself? Surely, this must have come up in context with Gambit's Deadpool's rare and Diving Block previously. Do we have a clarification from Devin Low on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Let's back up a second... I'm not sure you can pass a card to yourself. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, even if you are the player on your left and the player on your right in solo. Passing a card implies a giving and a taking. Can you take something from yourself? Surely, this must have come up in context with Gambit's rare and Diving Block previously. Do we have a clarification from Devin Low on that?

Do you mean Deadpool's rare?

Spreading Nanovirus isn't worded as passing the card it says:
You may have the player on your left gain this Wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Do you mean Deadpool's rare?
Yes. Too much Legendary DXP lately, not enough Marvel Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And technically I believe the Solo player rules say that "other player" is what happens to you. It does not address a passing mechanism with a right or left pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Let's back up a second... I'm not sure you can pass a card to yourself. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, even if you are the player on your left and the player on your right in solo. Passing a card implies a giving and a taking. Can you take something from yourself? Surely, this must have come up in context with Gambit's rare and Diving Block previously. Do we have a clarification from Devin Low on that?

I don't know if this specific situation with the Nanovirus has been addressed yet. Devin Low has confirmed for Blackheart that Ambush, Fight and Escape effect all effect the Solo player.

Blackheart Comment

I know this isn't exactly the same thing, however I don't believe that it's giving a card that's important in the context of Spreading Nanovirus. What is important is when you are playing Solo, are you the player to your left and right? The answer is yes.

In the Nanovirus card text is says "You may have the player on your left gain this Wound." When relating this back to Blackheart situation, that player on the left is yourself. If it said something like "choose another player to gain this Wound" I would see a more legitimate argument regarding the fact that you cannot give it to yourself.

I'm not sure how Gambit's rare works in this context, but if you are referring to Deadpool's rare ("Random Acts of Unkindness") it states: "You may gain a Wound to your hand. Then each player passes a card from their hand to the player on the left." You can certainly gain that Wound, then prevent it with "Diving Block" to draw a card. Then you pass a card from your hand to yourself, which really doesn't amount to anything.

There's also a difference between "passing" a card, and "gaining" a card. So if you used RAoU to "pass" a wound, you cannot trigger diving block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
I don't know if this specific situation with the Nanovirus has been addressed yet. Devin Low has confirmed for Blackheart that Ambush, Fight and Escape effect all effect the Solo player.

Blackheart Comment

I know this isn't exactly the same thing, however I don't believe that it's giving a card that's important in the context of Spreading Nanovirus. What is important is when you are playing Solo, are you the player to your left and right? The answer is yes.
I think we already knew that, but thanks for posting that link. I was just about to do that myself. I agree that it's not the same thing, but it appears to be the closest ruling we have.

Quote:
In the Nanovirus card text is says "You may have the player on your left gain this Wound." When relating this back to Blackheart situation, that player on the left is yourself. If it said something like "choose another player to gain this Wound" I would see a more legitimate argument regarding the fact that you cannot give it to yourself.
My only argument is semantic: "To gain something" requires, by definition, that you didn't already have that something to begin with. I could see Devin ruling that you can't gain something you already have.

Quote:
I'm not sure how Gambit's rare works in this context, but if you are referring to Deadpool's rare ("Random Acts of Unkindness") it states: "You may gain a Wound to your hand. Then each player passes a card from their hand to the player on the left." You can certainly gain that Wound, then prevent it with "Diving Block" to draw a card. Then you pass a card from your hand to yourself, which really doesn't amount to anything.
I agree with all of that except for the last sentence. I'm not convinced you can pass a card to yourself. The end result is the same, of course.

Sorry I brought up "passing" and Gambit! Clearly, I shouldn't respond to Rules threads unless I'm at a computer where I can more easily look things up instead of relying on my poor, middle-aged memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Quote:

I don't see why not.

I would not allow it. Rules As Written, sure you could do it. But it seems that this ruling would grossly violate the Rules As Intended. I would instead say that when you try to pass the Wound, but the pass fails that the wound would go to an inbetween state that would then return the card to your hand just before your Discard Phase begins (Step 4 in the Turn Order reference on the board).

This would be similar to how Sidekicks are usually resolved for card effects that count the number of Sidekicks played, we always stack them in a pile off to the side for reference and they return to the bottom of the Sidekick stack during Step 4: "Place all heroes played this turn and all remaining cards in your hand into your discard pile."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls