Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Caldwell

White Salmon
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 3 weeks I'll be playing this for the first time, and I have a few questions:
Will I ruin anything by opening it and looking over the comoonents/rules before playing it?

What should I NOT do prior to playing it?

What should I know before playing?

First legacy game for me because I don't like the idea of games losing replayability.

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Open the box and read the front page of the rule book which tells you exactly what to review to prepare for your first game. Don’t open anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Denga wrote:
Open the box and read the front page of the rule book which tells you exactly what to review to prepare for your first game. Don’t open anything else.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olm tt
msg tools
b0rb0rigmus wrote:
In 3 weeks I'll be playing this for the first time, and I have a few questions:
Will I ruin anything by opening it and looking over the comoonents/rules before playing it?

Reading the rules that are already printed in the rulebook is fine and recommended (on the front page of the rulebook). I'd recommend to do this in advance. Consult the FAQ on the Charterstone website. Also remember to do this from time to time during the campaign.

b0rb0rigmus wrote:
What should I NOT do prior to playing it?

Open any box in the package ...

b0rb0rigmus wrote:
What should I know before playing?

Try to follow the rules exactly as written, in correct order, even if this can appear unnecessary at first. There is a tendency of players to jump to conclusions. Be prepared to pause the game to read and fully understand a new rule when it appears at any time during the game.

Without spoiling anything, hopefully: don't be afraid of quickly building up your charter. Initially, it may appear to some players as if it was a good idea to wait.

b0rb0rigmus wrote:

First legacy game for me because I don't like the idea of games losing replayability.

I'm not yet through the campaign, but I got the impression that this game doesn't lose but gains replayability during the campaign. It's an unfolding game, quite opposite to some other legacy games out there which modify a complete, working game.

b0rb0rigmus wrote:

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Also check the specific FAQs on the Stonemaier Games site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Readthe setup rules before every game as they may change. read the end game rules at the end of every game as they may change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say look inside each of the Charter chests. Technically you're not meant to, but there's no spoilers in there and when I checked mine I was missing a component. Stonemaier, of course, were very quick on the ball with a replacement but it was nice to discover the missing piece before we sat down for the first game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denga wrote:

As another option, you can simply look over the rules online to familiarize yourself with them, and then open the box for the first time at the first game day.

Watching the "How to Play" video is not a bad idea, so long as you don't mind some extremely light first game spoilers. (I would say it would be a good idea for all players to watch this video, despite the (very light) spoilers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Caldwell

White Salmon
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that trips some people up:

When you're setting up for the first game, you'll draw a card from the index that tells you to set it aside until something specific happens for the first time. DO NOT FORGET THIS CARD! In fact, I'd suggest putting it somewhere prominent on the board so everyone knows it's there. Without applying that card (and the ones it leads to) you'll have trouble with the end-of-game stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest mistake I made (twice) was also embarrassingly easy to avoid. When you are told to put a sticker in the rulebook, carefully read where it will go and don't assume it is next in line from whatever rule sticker you just put in the book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, a few more:
Have some fine point permanent markets around. The Sharpie extra fine point are nice and quick dry. I found Pigma Microns to be a bit smudgier. I've enjoyed using different colors for each player.

After carefully coaching your kid on getting an early sticker placed on the board, don't put yours upside down a minute later.

And read the whole card before acting on it. Some instructions on what to do next are on the peeled off portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.