Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the playtest PBF game in sessions, Marc said the following:

Marc wrote:
Yes indeed: Foederati Settlements found alone (without another Briton piece) in a space with (independent) warbands of the same nation lose their Foederati markers (i.e. revert to independent).

Is that rule still in existence? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is. I've read the Rule Book multiple times, and I cannot recall seeing anything like this rule mentioned. I have not read the playtest AAR, so I do not know if the situation you ask about was during an Epoch Round or just during a regular "turn", but the only thing that comes close in the Rule Book is in the Annona Phase during an Epoch Round, Rule 6.1, which states: "A Foederati Settlement with no corresponding Foederati Warbands at the onset of Annona remains Foederati."

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
In the playtest PBF game in sessions, Marc said the following:

Marc wrote:
Yes indeed: Foederati Settlements found alone (without another Briton piece) in a space with (independent) warbands of the same nation lose their Foederati markers (i.e. revert to independent).

Is that rule still in existence? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rulebook.
No it isn't... The risks of sneak peeks during development... That specific rule was cut fairly late in development mostly because we felt it was unnecessarily fiddly (and one more rule to memorize) for a situation that was not that common. And we also felt it wasn't a bad thing to force the Saxons (typically) to work a bit harder to get Settlements of their own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could swear in the Annona phase, if you do not have Foederati at a location, the settlement (which is alone) loses its marker. Is that not correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
I could swear in the Annona phase, if you do not have Foederati at a location, the settlement (which is alone) loses its marker. Is that not correct?
It will be correct as soon as you can find a quote from the rules to support it, otherwise it won't be
My recollection is that there is no such rule and the designer (Marc) seems to say the same in his post further up on this page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

This is incorrect. Quite the opposite is true actually. Rule 6.1 includes the line, “A Foederati Settlement with no corresponding Foederati Warbands at the outset of Annona remains Foederati.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

Not correct. The Foed marker stays on any settlements with no Foed warbands present.

The Foed marker DOES get removed from the settlement if there are any Foed warbands present of the same wood color and Foed marker that go unpaid. So in practice, it’s better to move your Foed away from their settlements, especially if you don’t plan to pay them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed this is incorrect. Now, is it a good thing to have Foederati sticking around with no associated Warbands? I tend to think that it is not, as they take up valuable Stronghold sites, where you cannot Invite for instance, while being very soft targets... So really this rule about isolated Foederati Settlements remaining Foederati is really a curse in disguise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification! The settlement only flips if a troop is there without a foederati marker. That was the mistake I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
Thank you for the clarification! The settlement only flips if a troop is there without a foederati marker. That was the mistake I made.
It only flips if there are foederati warbands of the same colour and faction that have not been paid.
E.g. a Saxon red foederati settlement does not lose foederati status if there is a Saxon warband in the region unless that warband was also red foederati and has not been paid. If it was blue foederati or controlled by the Saxon player already the settlement will stay red foederati.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

The struckthrough part is wrong. Non-Foederati Warbands have nothing to do with it. As Niko said, the only factor is unpaid Foederati of the same nation and color. In the words of Metallica:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to sum up the discussion....

1. Foederati Settlements only flip if their are also Foederati Warbands of the same Barbarian Faction and same Briton Color in the Space, and those Warbands are not "paid" during Annona. Meaning that they flip as well.

2. Foederati Settlements without any matching Foederati Warbands at the start of Annona do not flip. Period.

3. The Non-Player Britons will only add 1 Settlement of each Barbarian Faction using Invite. If there is already a Foederati Settlement matching the selected Barbarian Faction and matching the Color of the Briton Faction potentially playing the Invite, then that Faction will not Invite.

Remaining Questions
1. If the Dux, for example, already have a Saxon Foederati Settlement on the board but no Scotti one, and an Invite opportunity arises, will the Bot automatically add the Scotti Foederati Settlement and Warbands, or do we still roll to see which Barbarian Faction would be selected, and act accordingly?

2. There are certain Events that can add Foederati, are they also blocked from placing those Foederati if there is an existing, matching Foederati Settlement in play?

Thanks,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
So, just to sum up the discussion....

1. Foederati Settlements only flip if their are also Foederati Warbands of the same Barbarian Faction and same Briton Color in the Space, and those Warbands are not "paid" during Annona. Meaning that they flip as well.

2. Foederati Settlements without any matching Foederati Warbands at the start of Annona do not flip. Period.

3. The Non-Player Britons will only add 1 Settlement of each Barbarian Faction using Invite. If there is already a Foederati Settlement matching the selected Barbarian Faction and matching the Color of the Briton Faction potentially playing the Invite, then that Faction will not Invite.
3 is incorrect; the bot may use the invite feat to convert foederati from the other Briton faction in that case.

Quote:
Remaining Questions
1. If the Dux, for example, already have a Saxon Foederati Settlement on the board but no Scotti one, and an Invite opportunity arises, will the Bot automatically add the Scotti Foederati Settlement and Warbands, or do we still roll to see which Barbarian Faction would be selected, and act accordingly?

2. There are certain Events that can add Foederati, are they also blocked from placing those Foederati if there is an existing, matching Foederati Settlement in play?

Thanks,

Tony
1. The dice are still rolled to select what faction will attempt to be placed.

2. Events can add more settlements since the restriction on already having a foedarati settlement of that faction/colour combination is only used when deciding whether to use the invite feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
tpholt wrote:

3 is incorrect; the bot may use the invite feat to convert foederati from the other Briton faction in that case.

Of course you are right. Wasn't even thinking about that blush

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.