Hide
7 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mocking Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Wofford
msg tools
My group has struggled with this Reaction card. It reads "Play when accepting the first invitation to the Arena. Place a Boast token on the gladiator that you commit. You may choose which gladiator the next dominus to accept an invitation commits."

We debate on the first part "Play when accepting the first invitation to the Arena." Dominus A receives the first invitation but chooses not to go into the Arena. Dominus B is subsequently invited and accepts. Is Dominus B able to play the Mocking Challenge card? Dominus B is the second invitation but the first Dominus to accept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A literal reading of the card would indicate "no", but I think the intention of the card is "yes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a literal reading of "the next dominus to accept an invitation" would be a yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I think a literal reading of "the next dominus to accept an invitation" would be a yes.

But the questions was in relation to the the first part of the text:

Quote:
Play when accepting the first invitation to the Arena

A literal reading of that part means that only the player first invited can accept the first invitation and subsequently play the reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Wofford
msg tools
Stephanie Baynes wrote:

Does that mean that if the first invitation to the arena is refused (meaning Not Accepted), then does that mean that the card can no longer be played by the dominus that is the first to accept the invitation even though that Dominus did not receive the first invitation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Wofford
msg tools
If anyone is interested, this is the official response from GF9 for my question - Dominus A receives the first invitation but chooses not to go into the Arena. Dominus B is subsequently invited and accepts. Is Dominus B able to play the Mocking Challenge card? Dominus B is the second invitation but the first Dominus to accept.

"This is meant to be the first accepted invitation to the arena. So in your scenario, Dominus B would indeed be able to play the Mocking Challenge card. We hope that this fully answers your question!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interested in anything concerning Spartacus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.