18 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Death Star Under Construction and Death Star Plans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Cooledge

Texas
msg tools
So in the rules it states that the Death Star Plans can be played against the DSUC, which means you can do the usual roll three dice and see if it blows up routine against it. It also has health and can be destroyed like an ordinary ship, however, since the plans weren't played and the dice weren't rolled by the rules blowing it up with raw firepower won't trigger the reputation.

Since it can't retreat this is fine and all, you just don't assign damage and play the plans infinitely with your fighters. However, if it's guarded since you can't take the kill via damage you have to hope your fighters survive so you can get the reputation points.

Is there any official errata or rule I'm missing that makes sense of this? Why can't I get the reputation for blowing up the DSUC with a mon calamari cruiser, but can with a fighter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dccool wrote:
You just don't assign damage and play the plans infinitely with your fighters.

You must assign all damage if possible. If the DSUC is alone against your rebel ships at the end of the combat round, it is automatically destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Cooledge

Texas
msg tools
That just makes it even more strange to me. It creates a situation where the imperial player wants to keep the rebel's black-die rolling ships alive specifically so their death star can die before the plans can be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The check for automatic destruction happens after your chance to play the plans. If the Rebels have fighters they get one try to score the plans, otherwise the DSUC simply blows up and the Rebels get nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of the Death Star Plans as a daring mission to blow up the DSUC from inside, dealing a mighty blow to the empire, vs. that mission failing and having the empire abort work on the DSUC, evacuate and shut it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The death star plans gets you rep because everyone loves a good David vs Goliath story. But blowing up an incomplete battlestation with capital ships can be a PR nightmare.

A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed--casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. look--you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia. This is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

(Thank you Kevin Smith)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Auchtung
United States
Sierra Vista
AZ
flag msg tools
mb
KoalaXav wrote:
You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

Not to get *too* political on BGG, but the Superior Orders fallacy has been disproved many times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

There is no way to take a politically offered contract, step foot into a politically owned/operated facility, and still claim to be apolitcal.

Any plumbers who willingly and without coercion stepped foot upon a battlestation that named itself the DEATH Star are unfortunately complicit with and consenting to that station's purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
mattauchtung wrote:
Any plumbers who willingly and without coercion stepped foot upon a battlestation that named itself the DEATH Star are unfortunately complicit with and consenting to that station's purposes.

Considering the Top Secret nature of the station, it's entirely possible that a lowly plumber (who may have been coerced at fear of his or his family's life anyway) may not have known the station was called the "Death Star", and it's highly possible he didn't know it's full purpose or that it had planet-destroying capabilities.

It all depends on how much information said plumber would have. From his perspective, it could have literally just been a (albeit really big) battle station, a central rallying point for a fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.

I bet Finn does. They pretty much say so in TFA...

Thing is, if that logic applies to DS1 construction (the Krennic era) those same construction civilians would have been on Death Star 2 when it blew up, so it's still the same PR nightmare.

I think the reality (in our completely made up pretend universe) is that the construction crew are all military, even if pressed into service like Galen Erso. However if the Imperial defence fleet is destroyed, the construction commander (Tarkin or Krennic for DS1, Jerjerrod for DS2) will panic and abandon/scuttle it rather than let it be blown up and used as a propaganda tool. "Rebels torpedo abandoned Imperial base you've never heard of" isn't a propaganda coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattauchtung wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

Not to get *too* political on BGG, but the Superior Orders fallacy has been disproved many times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

There is no way to take a politically offered contract, step foot into a politically owned/operated facility, and still claim to be apolitcal.

And it's a big plot point for Galen Erso in Rogue One. Very few of the Rebels, who are the good guys from our perspective, are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Given that Saw Gerrera was part of the Rebellion when he rescued Jyn, they will have known that Galen was working under duress, and were still willing to kill him without getting all the facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:

You must assign all damage if possible.

Actually, I thought you were not obliged to do this?

RitterFips wrote:

If the DSUC is alone against your rebel ships at the end of the combat round, it is automatically destroyed.

Independently of the previous topic, I agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
RitterFips wrote:

You must assign all damage if possible.

Actually, I thought you were not obliged to do this?

RR p. 05, "Assign Damage" subsection:
"Players must assign all dice that they are able to assign."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:

I bet Finn does. They pretty much say so in TFA...

I know. But this joke long predates Finn. I bet Finn also knows how to mop, because you just know that stormtroopers using the toilet facilities must miss most of the time.

The source of the joke:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools

Lucas himself addressed the "Death Star contractors" issue.

Starting at around 0:47.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I included the joke from Clerks as humor. If I'd known so many would be arguing against it rather than laughing, I wouldn't have bothered. When did Star Wars fans start hating on Clerks? Did I miss a memo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Can't speak for others and their reactions, but my post was merely an interesting trivia, I wasn't arguing for/against anything - and certainly not against Clerks, which I saw at least 3 times in cinema.

I stumbled upon "my" clip when I was searching for that Clerks clip to post it, for those not familiar with the source of the joke, just before you did it yourself - and I thought others might find Lucas response to it interesting as well.

If anything, reaction/s apparently taking Clerks reference at face value prove that there is an interesting question behind the joke. I certainly had at least one real-life situation which instantly made me think of that scene! No casualties, fortunately. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Medley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dccool wrote:
blowing it up with raw firepower won't trigger the reputation.

I agree: this sucks. If you have DSP and you destroy a DSUC through force of arms you should be able to claim the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damedley wrote:
dccool wrote:
blowing it up with raw firepower won't trigger the reputation.

I agree: this sucks. If you have DSP and you destroy a DSUC through force of arms you should be able to claim the objective.

while this makes sense they must have chosen not to include this so that DSUC won't such a big risk for the empire.

If you were going to "house-rule" it, would you then cancel the "self destruction" of the DS after 1 round?
in that case, a lone x-wing (which ofcourse is a squadron) really won't have a very good chance to destroy the DSUC (at least not in the expansion).

Maybe this is a good thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.