7 Posts

Dungeon Alliance» Forums » General

Subject: How is the player to player interaction in this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Palma
United States
flag msg tools
Greetings all! I was wondering how the player interactions are in this game to anyone who has played it. I was hoping to find a video on a four player game but unfortunately it seems only solo playthrus are being played. I know everyone starts on opposite ends of the board so I'd assume there is very little interaction till the end? Im just worried about the feeling of my friends and i playing separate games. I know there is the traderow aspect already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the answer for player interaction but I fear the downtime in a 4 player game will be big.

This game is compared to Mage Knight in its brain usage complexity which does not bode well for higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Orpen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Winston Churchill portrait by Sir William Orpen
mbmbmbmbmb
You will always be interacting in a way since the other players will be moving the monsters around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bulletdan wrote:
Greetings all! I was wondering how the player interactions are in this game to anyone who has played it. I was hoping to find a video on a four player game but unfortunately it seems only solo playthrus are being played. I know everyone starts on opposite ends of the board so I'd assume there is very little interaction till the end? Im just worried about the feeling of my friends and i playing separate games. I know there is the traderow aspect already.

Greetings!

This game is (in large part, thanks to Kickstarter backer suggestions) very customizeable.

In basic competitive mode, in addition to the competition for upgrades that you mentioned, you also compete for tiles, trying to get the rooms full of monsters and challenges that your alliance can most effectively deal with. In addition, there are opportunities to hurt your enemy alliance(s) by attacking them with unexhausted monsters at the end of every cycle.

In cooperative mode, you do the same, but now you do so in a way designed to cause the least possible damage to your fellow alliance(s) while maximizing their efficiency.

Competitive-with-PVP is like competitive but with the added joy(?) of directly damaging your opponents, just as all of your characters are getting really dangerous. devil

If you add quests, you are also either competing to trigger and resolve them, or cooperating to figure out how best to do so.

Is there downtime in this game? Yes, but you will spend the vast majority of it strategizeing and adjusting those strategies:

1) Whom do I attack, and with what monster, at the end of the cycle?

2) Which hero should I activate next? Do I want to use this card for its ability, or face down as half of a burst of strength?

3) Should I go for this new tile, or that one, or try to wipe out the enemies already present on my side of the board before they get used by my opponents (or the AI) to attack me?

4) And much more, depending on how you customize.

As you learn your way around the game, you'll find that the more planning you do when it's not your turn, the faster your actual turn will go, and soon, the whole thing speeds up.

I've played many 4-player games of Dungeon Alliance (as a playtester for this game), and even when it's not my turn, you'd best believe I'm still playing.

Hope this helps you decide to try the game and find out whether it's right for you, but I would suggest that you try it, competitive without PVP or quests, at a lower player count to start, until you can wrap your head around the order of play and basic strategy. (In fact, Andrew Parks has a post about starting with the basic game here on BGG, and I second that suggestion.) Once you've gotten around that learning curve, the game speeds up quite a bit.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palma
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for that post ! I actualy already decided to get the game myself and should be coming in soon so i can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gel
msg tools
Not sure how is relating this to mage knight complexity... I have taught the game to two different groups of people with only a quick read through.

I find it a much faster pace, not as fiddly. Not as many moving components. But very satisfying and enjoyable.

Plus there is more depth you can add in quests, etc, it is way more varied because you are playing with drafting for heroes out of 21! That's alot of different combinations...

We played pvp both ways... And it works. There was no hard feelings. The exp gain was pretty comparable. (between choosing to PvP or PvE.) it also was not too big a setback to have a hero defeated.

This adds alot to the game.

Great Job from everyone involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Richard. I am not normally a PvP kind of guy myself, but I also am usually the one requesting it for Dungeon Alliance because it can be quite fun casting spells and sending pets to snap at the other players. Getting beat up can sometimes be just as fun, if you get slammed hard enough and then send in an ally to do the same. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.