Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mb
I am excited to announce that 12th annual Golden Geek nominations for the Best Games of 2017 are now open!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Board Game of The Year
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Thematic Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-Player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play (See Rules Below)
- Most Innovative
- Best Solo Game
- Best Podcast
- Best Board Game App/Videogame
- Best Cooperative Game (New Category)

For RPGs
--------
- RPG Game of the Year
- Best Artwork & Presentation
- Best Supplement
- Best Podcast

For Video Games
---------------
- Video Game of the Year
- Best Visuals/Artwork
- Best Indie Game
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game
- Most Innovative Game
- Best PC Game
- Best Xbox One Game
- Best PS4 Game
- Best Wii U Game
- Best Nintendo Switch Game
- Best 3DS Game

The current rule for the Print & Play category is that the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

Games or Podcasts that have won the Golden Geek Award in the past are not eligible to be nominated.

Here are more specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient), voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended permanently from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

The board game nomination page is here.
The RPG nomination page is here.
The video game nomination page is here.


The final voting will be resolved using a Condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 12 am-midnight CST Thursday, February 22, 2018, and the final voting for 2 more weeks after that. - March 8th, 2018. The winners will be announced shortly afterward.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!

Please share this post and spread the word that the nominations are starting!
62 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Aldie, it seems not yet possible to nominate an entry for „Best Boardgame App“ (it does not show up in the Selection column).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
Thanks!
Aldie, it seems not yet possible to nominate an entry for „Best Boardgame App“ (it does not show up in the Selection column).

go to you app page on bgg and add it to your collection, than on the vote entry filter for "own"

probably that the app is not listed in 2017? tell us the name
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MY bad, the Apps are in the Video games award group. Found it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
There's no submit button to hit, right? This is an AJAX form, so just adding the games to the categories is enough?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
One who fully grasps Bayes' Theorem, yet remains in our universe to aid others, is known as a Bayesattva.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb podcasts that are unfortunately missing from the given selection:

Drawn to the Flame
Mythos Busters
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never lobbied for a game before, but I'm tired of seeing games that aren't all that innovative win the innovative category.

DropMix for innovative!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh best co-op. Cool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I'm going to directly contradict Chaddyboy (always risky) and put in a hearty plug for Black Sonata, with its soloable, replayable hidden movement mechanic, as most innovative!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wii U should really be switched out (no pun intended) with the Switch. It came out in March of 2017, and the Wii U was pretty much dead in 2017.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my nominations! Noticed that a game on my list (Brew Crafters) was a 2013 release, but still showed up. Perhaps an error - just a note.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I've never lobbied for a game before, but I'm tired of seeing games that aren't all that innovative win the innovative category.

DropMix for innovative!


It's got my vote, it's super fun.

If anyone is unfamiliar with how it works, there are a few of us challenging each other to make new mixes every week and tracking via geeklist
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Was hoping for the return of abstract and children’s categories.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
The Wii U should really be switched out (no pun intended) with the Switch. It came out in March of 2017, and the Wii U was pretty much dead in 2017.


Agreed. Wii u is last generation. The switch has almost been out a year. That should be changed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mb
chrisoc13 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
The Wii U should really be switched out (no pun intended) with the Switch. It came out in March of 2017, and the Wii U was pretty much dead in 2017.


Agreed. Wii u is last generation. The switch has almost been out a year. That should be changed.


Aye - I overlooked the Switch. I will get that updated ASAP.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:
Was hoping for the return of abstract and children’s categories.

FWIW if you are interested in "abstracts" in the strict sense of no randomness and no hidden info (combinatorial games) like Chess, Go, Hive, GIPF, etc, then there is this:
BEST COMBINATORIAL 2-PLAYER GAME OF 2017 - NOMINATIONS
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
There's no submit button to hit, right? This is an AJAX form, so just adding the games to the categories is enough?


I just had the same question I assumed the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

On the nomination screen, there's a yellow box with instructions in the center of the screen. Among other things, it states:

Quote:
Your changes are saved immediately.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:

On the nomination screen, there's a yellow box with instructions in the center of the screen. Among other things, it states:

Quote:
Your changes are saved immediately.


FWIW this made me remember an interesting article on this common problem in UI design:
The plain fact is users will not read anything you put on the screen.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cbs42 wrote:

On the nomination screen, there's a yellow box with instructions in the center of the screen. Among other things, it states:

Quote:
Your changes are saved immediately.


FWIW this made me remember an interesting article on this common problem in UI design:
The plain fact is users will not read anything you put on the screen.



I see how I missed it now. The second you click anything that box disappears
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Gribbon wrote:
russ wrote:
cbs42 wrote:

On the nomination screen, there's a yellow box with instructions in the center of the screen. Among other things, it states:

Quote:
Your changes are saved immediately.


FWIW this made me remember an interesting article on this common problem in UI design:
The plain fact is users will not read anything you put on the screen.



I see how I missed it now. The second you click anything that box disappears


I'm a UI designer and I missed that! blush
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about best Nintendo Switch game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient), voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.
Emphasis mine. As far as I can tell, buying a geek badge isn't sufficient. My wife had bought a geekbadge, but not an avatar. She wasn't able to vote. I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the standard an avatar only, but you might want to edit the post...

Aldie wrote:
Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended permanently from the site.

Aldie wrote:
You are welcome to campaign.
If a genuine human fan of a game wants to vote but doesn't have GG, is it acceptable for the designer/publisher of the game to give them GG so they can vote? I don't want to break the letter or the spirit of the rules, but it's honestly not clear to me what the intent is:
a) Stop vote-bots and spam accounts. Real humans new to BGG are welcome to vote, regardless of how they get their GG.
b) Only humans who have been on BGG long enough to have GG on their own should vote. Publishers can campaign via sending messages to fans, but shouldn't give GG directly.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea Swallow
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
chrisoc13 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
The Wii U should really be switched out (no pun intended) with the Switch. It came out in March of 2017, and the Wii U was pretty much dead in 2017.


Agreed. Wii u is last generation. The switch has almost been out a year. That should be changed.


Aye - I overlooked the Switch. I will get that updated ASAP.


It might be worthwhile to drop all platform specific awards and replace them with ones that focus on the qualities of a video game instead - best story/narrative, best gameplay, best music/soundtrack, etc.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.