16 Posts

Escape the Dark Castle» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas to bling out this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best things about this game is the simplicity and atmosphere, so the next obvious step is to add accessories to make it even cooler! I've already added some spindown d20s from Magic: The Gathering to track life, but what else could we do to it to make it more fun? Obviously sleeves are a must when we have some that fit.

Ideas I currently have:

Playmat: Something with a Dark Castle on it. An official mat would be nice though, maybe a standard size solo/2 player mat with 2 character spaces and a double size multi mat with 4 character spaces. Spaces for the chapter cards and item cards of course, with discard spaces. If I had any design skill I'd be on this already.

Door Marker: A dungeon door marker to give to the player who is opening the door so we don't forget who that is. I plan on using a Zealot Miniatures dungeon door.

Completely superfluous miniatures: These have no purpose in the game but a few old-school 80s minis of village townsfolk all painted up just for fun.

Storage Box: The original box is very nice but something that looks like a medieval strong box would be fun, especially to increase space for eventually sleeved cards and any other bling we've added to the game.

So, any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gotteri
United Kingdom
CHESTERFIELD
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of the "first player" dungeon door card.
Also the playmat. I am trying to design one myself but my art is rubbish.

I think we need a Story End card for once you've defeated the Big Boss. Something to let you actually... escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use miniatures (or different coloured counters) in our my games to represent the first player. The one leading or first to enter combat is always placed in front of the others. The ones behind ignore YOU effects and one has the option to REST during combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking you could even use dungeon tiles or any kind of generic dungeon generator for a more visual game. You could even roll for an encounter for each room, if so draw a chapter card. Not every room needs to be an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they made enough Boss cards (or if you make your own privately) you could do a Boss run mode. Randomly select 5 Bosses for your deck (you don't use chapter cards here). Before facing each Boss, draw 1 Item card per player. Can you survive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game box is great for holding the base game, just not so great when you add the expansion sadly. Normally I am happy to keep all boxes on the shelf, but this games first expansion(Cult of the Death Knight) is really made for combining with the base game so this is a rare, for me, situation that I'd love a box to hold it all. I actually squeezed it all in for now, but will likely take out the very well made storage piece and make an alternate. ... ... unless a deluxe upgrade option comes with a future expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cioffi
msg tools
i created a custom health tracker mimicking the pad the game came with. i used a standard 8mm wooden cube as the basis of my tracker design. added the character names at the top for a little flavor and have the call out for how much health to start with depending on party size.

i used a black cube to keep with the game's black and white aesthetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upload the files for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cioffiar wrote:
i created a custom health tracker mimicking the pad the game came with. i used a standard 8mm wooden cube as the basis of my tracker design. added the character names at the top for a little flavor and have the call out for how much health to start with depending on party size.

i used a black cube to keep with the game's black and white aesthetic.

I quite like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cioffi
msg tools
see attached. happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the work? I appreciate you sharing it.

All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cioffi
msg tools
forgot to attach the Tanner's tracker. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Moore
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought 4

Level Counters from Q-Workshop.
I think they will be awesome with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a level counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clark
United Kingdom
Bath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Love this HP tracker idea!

I did think of another idea, but have been too lazy to make it so far. ha

To keep track of HP, you would have a cardboard dial that would show your current HP in a little window. You just rotate it to increase or decrease the visible number. The internal dial would just need 0 to 18 on it (or maybe a skull instead of a zero!)

I haven't explained myself very well, but I mean something like the image below, but Escape The Dark Castle themed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueCrayon wrote:
Love this HP tracker idea!

I did think of another idea, but have been too lazy to make it so far. ha

To keep track of HP, you would have a cardboard dial that would show your current HP in a little window. You just rotate it to increase or decrease the visible number. The internal dial would just need 0 to 18 on it (or maybe a skull instead of a zero!)

I haven't explained myself very well, but I mean something like the image below, but Escape The Dark Castle themed!

You've explained yourself very well and I love the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.