Popular Tags: [View All]
Doc Rissel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few events at a House Con on Saturday, I crashed at my friends place and then before heading home Sunday morning, we got a chance to get a play of this in.

My first impressions are that this is a bit more thinky than I had anticipated (which is fine with me). We did get a few rules incorrect (taking a dice action to gain resources, then completing a settler card, and THEN placing a newly acquired settler as an apprentice. We caught this at the start on round 4, and each of us made that infraction once, so not a big deal). Additionally, we didn't double the rewards for owning a market in a guild as you are supposed to do in a 2- player game.

There is some nice complexity here. I rushed out to improve reputation since I had rolled pretty high on my first turn. My friend rolled low for the first 2 turns or so, so he didn't worry about bumping reputation until mid-game.

I feel as though the game really shifts at rounds 5-6 when you start to transition from exclusively working to complete settler cards into strategizing for the big picture of mid-to-late game: Do you continue to pursue settlers and maximizing their victory points with a few community building? Or do you start bumping up your nobility and satisfy some scoring opportunities at the Stone Council?

We ended up in a really close game. My opponent beat me 116-111. I had one more settler than he did but he completed 2 more Stone Council tiles than I. He finished with a nobility score of 15, while I had 13. I was able to turn in 6 remaining goods for 3 points after the final round while he didn't have any.

It was a great time. A bit long-ish (2 hours) but for a first play, we had a blast. I'm curious about the playtime with three or four (I don't know that I will ever play with five or six)? Will the extra opportunity to play up to 2 dice in the guilds increase the speed of play or will that lead to more AP?

Any thoughts from more experienced players of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also only played once, but I also thought it was way too long. We decided to end at 8 rounds and will play to only 8 rounds in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play today, also a two player game. For some reason it took us a while to work out the workshops and how they operated (embarrassed to say it even took a while to work out what a workshop was). First play for both and we took a while reading the rules, and so the game did take a long time, but it didn't feel long really - each turn was quick enough, and the end of round sequence was clear and also quick. Both rolling dice at the same time and then taking turns meant you could be thinking ahead while the other player was playing. I would think it could move reasonably quickly once you knew what was happening, but if playing with more players you really would want everyone to plan things out and be ready to go when it was their turn.

Keen to play a few more times. While there was a lot to take in going through the rules, the rule book for the most part was good - better than most. At first it seemed complicated, but as I suspected it isn't that complex once you get into it.

I ended up with a lot of money left over at the end, so will need to figure out how to better balance things. My partner built community buildings, but I didn't. I did use the stone council, but she didn't. In the end she won 98 - 96, so it was close.

Will be interesting to try it with more, and see how it feels after a few more plays, but we both enjoyed it and are keen to play again. The linking of the mechanisms (get resources to settle people, buy them a house, use the worker(s) you get from that to get more resources etc) worked well, and is great for planners, and with a partner that is a bit analysis prone, it didn't drag, so that is a good sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Ten wrote:
My first play today, also a two player game. For some reason it took us a while to work out the workshops and how they operated (embarrassed to say it even took a while to work out what a workshop was).

Same as me. Starting reading the set up, and one of the first things it says (don't have the rule book in front of me now) is to place a workshop in the middle section of each guild (1/2 player set up). But no where previous to this does it clarify what a workshop actually is!

I guess if I'd watched a video/read through the entire rules I'd know, but you'd think it would clarify what one was before telling you where to put them! (I think they are listed as buildings in the component section) When I did figure out what workshops were, each of them has different icons on, so I was then worried I needed a specific workshop, but there was no mention in this section of the rule book about any differences. I think the differences in the workshop icons are listed inside the back page of the rules book, so understandly, I didn't read that section first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slumpy wrote:

Same as me. Starting reading the set up, and one of the first things it says (don't have the rule book in front of me now) is to place a workshop in the middle section of each guild (1/2 player set up). But no where previous to this does it clarify what a workshop actually is!

Glad it wasn't just me. I felt really dumb. Found the back page that explained the workshops a little while after we finished playing - I had stopped reading the rule book when I got to the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.