Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: A(small) proposal to strengthen Xxcha rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Nilsson
msg tools
So many think xxcha is amazing but I do not really see why.
I have two problems with them. The first is that they are supposed to be defended race that is passive but diplomatic. However, I do not really understand how to earn their abilities because, secondly, they often cost more than you earn from your abilities.

If you want to use quash and instinct training and nullification field.
all costs one cc token and all three cost three tokens every round. You only get two free be rounds!
You need to get back 4 trade goods or something of similar value to use it and nobody seems willing to pay it. The cost to much or are to weak.

Quash, If you do not like an agenda, you can give one player 1 trade goods and get quite a few votes for 2 more and 3 even more. So why pay 4 and get it veto. A few agendas you can use but it's specific, like destroy all ship in wormhole. These are really special occasions with special races. Just random and the next agenda can by worse.

Their start is nothing to brag about and the home system is quite weak.
One solution is to give them a better home system or change the influenza values to only one planet in the home system. From 2/3, 1/1 to
3/1, 0/4.
It would make it possible to use it to buy new cc token and make their abilities less costly.

Or make their abilities a bit better. Nullification field is ok.
But Quash could by buff by vetoing an agenda give the opportunity to choose the new agenda. By getting two cards and then choosing which one will be the new agenda. A bit less chance and a little stronger ability.

Instinct training, Everyone says this race tech is super strong but I never see it used. It is of course possible that I am stupid, But I suggest it's not really value to tech or use. Therefore, I would add that after using the ability they can then give the played action card to any player(but not yourself.
Probably it would give them the opportunity to get something to use it.

Thoughts, they (Xxcha) are currently the second worst race in the statistics now and soon it's up to 500 cases/games.

I really think they need something for now, they only have their flagship and peace accords that they may use once or twice.
Remaining abilities cost a cc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Bennett
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If's interesting because in two of my games the Xxcha moved to a planet next to MR, built 4 space cannons and their flagship and then forced people to pay them trade goods to come anywhere close to them. The threat of 8 dice coming at you that can't be soaked up by fighters allowed them to extort a bunch of trade goods.

They, like many races, can be good - you just have to play them a few times and see how other people play the game to get the most out of them.

Call me crazy, but 500 games is too few to decide that a race needs to be changed... especially if the people playing only have a hand full of games under their belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, short OT question - can anyone provide a link to these statistics?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nilsson
msg tools
GrumblingGamer wrote:
Also, short OT question - can anyone provide a link to these statistics?

Thanks!

Here you go: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1908461/races-tier-list-ran...

Well i am now expert i have only play ti4 13 times and I can by wrong.

I whant to ad that cancel a AC is inportant in late game and i think that dont think this is going to get you to the 8 point in the late game.

Edit: do you think FFG playtest it 500 times?
But yes 500 is not alot.

My question would the by op with either better home system or above changes?

Edit2: the problem is that i would not rec any player to go for there race tech. Plasma, gravity or sarwen is why bettet and so on. You dont have to pay for them then pay to use them.
And that is just boring. I whant good race tech when i play a race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Harmon
United States
La Salle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I feel the same way about the Xxcha. I think their faction techs would be fine if they were just exhausted and didn't have any other cost associated with them. Perhaps, if that makes them too strong, change the requirements to 2 green and 3 yellow appropriately.

The Xxcha are even more difficult in a 4 player game, where command counters tend to be scarcer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin LaFleur
Canada
flag msg tools
I find it crazy that the Xxcha are supposed to be the Politics/Diplomacy race and they don't have the highest influence value in their starting home system. As a race with a lot of extra, interesting ways to spend counter counters, they don't really have any ways to actually generate more of them.

I think change their home system to a 2/3, 1/3 (total 3/6) is a simple, light-handed change that is thematically fitting, mechanically synergistic and careful small enough in scope that it couldn't overpower them, even if they don't need a buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nilsson
msg tools
aegiscruiser wrote:
I find it crazy that the Xxcha are supposed to be the Politics/Diplomacy race and they don't have the highest influence value in their starting home system. As a race with a lot of extra, interesting ways to spend counter counters, they don't really have any ways to actually generate more of them.

I think change their home system to a 2/3, 1/3 (total 3/6) is a simple, light-handed change that is thematically fitting, mechanically synergistic and careful small enough in scope that it couldn't overpower them, even if they don't need a buff.

Yes. I am also angry that jol-nar get 5 influence and xxcha only 4. Why should they have more? They already is the tech races! Why should they also be the politic races?
Ad to that they also have 4 tg. And 2 pds from start with plasma and can tech avd. pds first round! Better starting units. Start with 4 tech. Better races tech for playing turtel. Have a bonus to the tech strategy card that is pick every round.
Diplomacy is in my group at best pick every second turn. And soom times it have 3 TG on it. And one one pick it! Ad to that one infanter stop you from using your ability.

Why would you play xxcha when you can play jol-nar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.