Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this afternoon I had some thoughts on the classification of Deckbuilders.

To me, it seems one can distinguish common pool Deckbuilders (CPD), where cards are bought from a reserve common to all players (e.g. Dominion, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game) and private pool Deckbuilders (PPD), where each player has their own special reserve of cards they can buy (e.g. Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set, maybe Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, if you're willing to overlook the dice both players can buy). And there are mixed pool Deckbuilders (MPD), that have both a public and a private reserve (e.g. Nightfall and the Dice Masters series, really).

Also, there's the distinction between fixed market Deckbuilders (Dominion) and variable market Deckbuilders (Ascension, Star Realms Valley of the Kings).

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a MPD that uses both variable and fixed markets for the common and the private pool, respectively (or the other way round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can think of any MPD that has mixed markets for both the private and common pools all the time.

The closest I can think of, off the top of my head, is the co-op MPD Bulwark. Every game of bulwark has each player playing a specific character, with it's own starting deck and private pool of draftable/purchasable cards. Every game also has a town/location which provides 6 more stacks of cards that are draftable/purchasable by all players. Certain locations, such as the Bulwark: Calendar of the Ancients, have one of those stacks be a randomized stack, such that only the top card of that stack available for purchase. Additionally, one character, Bulwark: Jakab Startouched, has a similar randomized stack that only he can purchase from; these cards are banished (returned to the stack from which it was purchased even if that stack is now empty) upon use, so the player controlling Jakab will be constantly buying them throughout the game. (note: there are special rules for Jakab such that these cards are returned to the bottom of this stack, where as usually purchased cards that are banished are returned to the top of their stack - but wounds and enemies are also bottom for banishment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age had a central public market with gold, neutral mercs/spells and neutral cities.
Each player also had faction cards in a barrack area personal to them.

Old game now but with Rune Age: Oath and Anvil still a very good classic card building fantasy romp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Rune Age had a central public market with gold, neutral mercs/spells and neutral cities.
Each player also had faction cards in a barrack area personal to them.

Old game now but with Rune Age: Oath and Anvil still a very good classic card building fantasy romp.
Rune Age is a Mixed Pool Deckbuilder (MPD), but I think both the common and private markets in Rune Age are fixed markets (Dominion-style). The neutral cities available are variable, but only in that they are randomly determined at the start of the game and then all of them are available (IIRC - though this may change in some scenarios); however the neutral cities are never added to decks anyways.

It should be noted that most variable market deck builders (Ascension, Star Realms, etc.) have at least 1 or 2 fixed market style stacks - though they tend to be the same stacks available every game (like silver and gold in Dominion), but I suppose the question should be posited: how many fixed stacks before a variable market becomes a mixed market?
Additionally, Tanto Cuore is basically a Dominion variant, but one of the tweaks is Private Maid variable market of 2 cards, is this enough to consider Tanto Cuore a mixed market? What about Dominion if Ruins or Knights are in play?
Also I realize that part of an attempt at classification might include which sets of cards are in play/set up for every given game, but such a classification would have to account for deck builders like Barbarossa/El Alamein and Dynamite Nurse, where the rules have all stacks of cards in play every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings Gone Wild - This has fixed markets for the buildings and attack/defence cards (or others based on expansions). But also has a variable 'row' style market of random cards.

It also has a small random market of awesome cards which you get for hitting certain point thresholds.

Arctic Scavengers - Has the normal fixed market. But it also has a scrap heap which you can search which is essential a random blind market which is the size of how deep you dig. It also has a deck of 'better' cards which only the first player knows what it is in advance and you fight over at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.