Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gf and I have been playing this (and the expansion creation and control) but despite playing about 10 times still have a few lingering questions:

1. Does the corp draw a card as the first turn of the game (meaning 6 cards when it starts)

2. Cards that are */named say Director Haas, if she is trashed/captured can I play another one of her?

3. Crypsis: when you power it up, is it JUST for the single ice, or the whole run?

Strategy:
1. I dont get exploratory romp at all, why would you make it to the access stage and not just steal an agenda instead of removing advancement tokens?

2. Is there a limit to 'bonus action points' you can get? Look at 3 for what I mean.

3. As Haas, I found a really effective strategy of dumping almost all my cards, going heavy economy cards, just a few cheap ices, and a bunch of the action point boosters (the archology, bioroid labor, director haas), one turn I was able to play a 5 pt agenda from hand to score it because of 6 action points. This seemed pretty insane honestly.

4. My gf brought up 'as the runner is doesnt seem I have as much strategy as the corp' and the more I thought about this, the truer it seemed. There is clearly better breakers, and it is simply a matter of just putting those in the deck, whereas the corp has a LOT of options for what to go. What are things the runner needs to consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
My gf and I have been playing this (and the expansion creation and control) but despite playing about 10 times still have a few lingering questions:

1. Does the corp draw a card as the first turn of the game (meaning 6 cards when it starts)

Yes.

Quote:
2. Cards that are */named say Director Haas, if she is trashed/captured can I play another one of her?

Yes. Unique is specifically "only one copy of this card may be active at any one time". You could even have two copies of Director Haas installed at the same time (in different servers) so long as no more than one is rezzed.

This has the side effect that if the runner runs your rezzed copy, you can rez the second copy before access, and the uniqueness rules mean any older copy gets trashed - so the runner doesn't trash the first copy and doesn't get the agenda points!

Quote:
3. Crypsis: when you power it up, is it JUST for the single ice, or the whole run?

Powering up as in boosting strength: just for the single ICE, which is true of all Icebreakers unless they say otherwise (e.g. Gordian Blade).

Powering up as in gaining Virus Counters - the counters stay there until removed either by spending them to prevent Crypsis trashing after using it, or until the Corp purges.

Crypsis is very expensive in both time and credits. That's the trade-off for being able to break any ICE.

Quote:
Strategy:
1. I dont get exploratory romp at all, why would you make it to the access stage and not just steal an agenda instead of removing advancement tokens?

Maybe you're unsure if the card sitting there with three advancement counters on it is an agenda or a Project Junebug. You don't want to leave it and let the Corp score an agenda, but you don't want to run it and take 6 net damage if it's a Junebug. You could run it with Exploratory Romp to remove the counters, then run again and either steal the agenda or trash the now harmless trap.

...not that anyone ever actually does that. Exploratory Romp just doesn't get played and runners just eat the 6 net damage in the above scenario. But there are some coming cards that may make this just a little less bad!

Quote:
2. Is there a limit to 'bonus action points' you can get? Look at 3 for what I mean.

Nope. Gain clicks to your heart's content!

Quote:
3. As Haas, I found a really effective strategy of dumping almost all my cards, going heavy economy cards, just a few cheap ices, and a bunch of the action point boosters (the archology, bioroid labor, director haas), one turn I was able to play a 5 pt agenda from hand to score it because of 6 action points. This seemed pretty insane honestly.

Welcome to Fast Advance, one of HB's specialities! That's a great turn if you can pull it off, but look how much you needed to get there. Assuming one each of Arcology, Director Haas and Biotic Labor...

- You had installed Director Haas (prior cost: 1 click, 3 credits), a card that gave you an extra click every turn. That's really powerful and the runner should be aiming to trash it as soon as possible. As if denying you the extra click weren't enough, the runner gets 2 points for trashing her! The runner needs to be accessing and trashing her absolutely the first opportunity they get.

- You had installed and advanced at least once a Haas Arcology AI. That's cost you at least 2 clicks and 3 credits, and if you've put no more advancement on it, it's now blank since you can't derez it without a card effect and you can't advance it while rezzed. If you have put more advancements on it up front, that's more clicks and credits, and it's now a priority target for the runner, especially as it only costs 1 to trash.

- You played Biotic Labor. That's 4 credits and a 1 use card.

- You advanced 5 times. That's 5 credits.

So as a total you've spent 15 credits, 3 clicks on prior turns, and left yourself with a 3 point agenda and nothing else except a rezzed Director Haas (which is quite possibly going to vanish soon, and give the runner 2 points in exchange). That's pretty costly and going to be hard to pull off multiple times!

Quote:
4. My gf brought up 'as the runner is doesnt seem I have as much strategy as the corp' and the more I thought about this, the truer it seemed. There is clearly better breakers, and it is simply a matter of just putting those in the deck, whereas the corp has a LOT of options for what to go. What are things the runner needs to consider?

Are you talking about deckbuilding options/design, or strategy in game? If deckbuilding options, it's definitely true that the runner needs to be prepared to answer a set of potential Corp threats - primarily breaking ICE and avoiding being killed - and that can cause deckbuilding to be more focused in a way.

However, just to look at the factions:

Shapers are in some sense the most basic "I will install the right breaker and pay to break your ICE" and are looking for ways to ensure they can reliably do that as fast and as easily as possible.

Criminals are "I will find ways to dodge the ICE you've put out and get accesses where you can't defend" so want to focus on removing the corp's ability to defend itself and capitalize on attacking where it hasn't.

Anarchs are "we'll do our own thing and check if you can respond" and remove the corp's cards and disrupt their gameplan.

In terms of in-game strategy: the key is making sure you're putting enough pressure on the corp. Run, even without breakers, so the corp has to pay to rez ICE if they want to stop you getting in. Have ways of getting the breakers you need quickly, so the corp can't just sit back and build up. Draw cards as a priority if you don't have what you need. Make the corp feel your presence.

Hope some of that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corp always draws a card at the start of their turn. So, yes.

Unique cards can only have 1 copy in play. So, yes.

One ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up Simon.

To be clear, you are saying I can have a Director Haas unrezzed, and the rezzed one can be trashed if I rez the other one? I get the idea but can you explain why this works in the rules?

Also, what exactly is the downside of this fast advance? I just spammed money cards (adonis/pad), cheap ice, then started slapping agendas right out of hand.

Oh one more thing, how can it be okay for a runner to run naked into an unknown ice - esp if its likely they are going to be taking brain damage or something? Seems like a recipe to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:

To be clear, you are saying I can have a Director Haas unrezzed, and the rezzed one can be trashed if I rez the other one? I get the idea but can you explain why this works in the rules?

Also, what exactly is the downside of this fast advance? I just spammed money cards (adonis/pad), cheap ice, then started slapping agendas right out of hand.

Oh one more thing, how can it be okay for a runner to run naked into an unknown ice - esp if its likely they are going to be taking brain damage or something? Seems like a recipe to lose.

During the early game when you're getting set up, the runner should be running your central servers and trashing your economy cards. Cheap ice is usually cheap to break too.

The runner should also be bringing multi-access, so "makers eye" and HQ interface can cause you lots of problems.

Getting used to running naked into unknown ice is part of the runner experience -- we call it "face checking" as in "I ran into that Ichi with my face." But a little damage isn't that big a deal in comparison to getting those early scores and making you spend your money to rez that early ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:

One of the most important skills that one will develop is weighing the risks and benefits of any given course of action. If the corp installs and advance something behind a piece of ice, you should be able to think "that card could be a 4/2, an Aggressive Secretary, or a Cerebral Overwriter, and the ice could be a Neural Katana, a Rototurret, a Heimdall, or..."

Few of these can kill you, but each can set you back a certain amount. So you just need to ask yourself "what can happen if I'm wrong?"

Facechecking a Neural Katana is an unpleasant experience, but you've just cost the corp 4 credits to make you discard 3 cards. Even brain damage isn't the end of the world (no pun intended), it just constrains your future choices a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:

The rules for Uniqueness say:

Rules wrote:
Some cards have a unique symbol (♦) in front of their title. There can be only one unique card of the same title active at a time. If a card with a unique title becomes active, any other card that shares its title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be prevented.

So the previously rezzed version will get trashed.

Quote:

It is a strong strategy! Beyond a few tech cards in the expansions, a runner facing a Fast Advance corp is looking to steal the agenda before they reach the Corp's hand, or prevent the corp having the money and tools they need to Fast Advance. The key weakness of Fast Advance decks is that they usually can't defend too well - they need to use card slots on generating money and FA tools and use money on performing the Fast Advance, so you don't have great ICE and the runner can access lots of things easily, and has more money for trashing your economy assets.

Quote:

I'll tell you a secret: if the corp's not actively trying to kill you, then a little brain damage is a mild inconvenience, nothing more. Obviously you can't keep on taking brain damage, but one or two is fine!

Program trashing might be more of a big deal, if you need to then dig out a replacement program...except if you don't have any programs installed, program trashing can't do anything. Ichi 1.0 is a great piece of ICE in general, but an absolutely terrible one against a naked runner - since at that point it has only one sub that will do anything, that one sub could be broken by a click, and if unbroken runs a mere 1 strength trace that if it were to land only does a couple of inconveniences to the runner.

Which is one more important thing to check you're aware of, since it's a common new player mistake: if an ICE fires its subroutines, then unless one of those subs says "End the run", the run will continue and the runner can keep going into the server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to add to what people are saying, what you are experiencing (both fast advance and a blandness of runners) are common when you get started

Fast advance is brutal against a runner who is taking their time setting up everything and getting ready.

A runner who isn't taking risks and just putting in the best cards isn't likely to put on much pressure.

The "fun" comes in when as a runner you take suboptimal cards and make them work for you. It is also when it comes to playing against expectations.

I used to love playing a professor deck that people would expect a slow methodical program heavy deck....

And i ran blindly and wildly and used his wide array of programs to bring out wild tricks that were unexpected and played him fast and loose.

It may not have been the best deck, but it usually got some comments about "I didn't expect that!" and it certainly was the most fun deck i ever built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.