Thumb up
1 Posts

Ticket to Ride: USA 1910» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The train kept a-blocking' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
flag msg tools
The second game I played with my wife this Saturday was Ticket to Ride with the USA 1910 expansion. As I had just gotten butchered in Puerto Rico (see my session report:, which was supposed to be my "strong" game, I expected this one would go even worse. (For some reason she always beats me in TTR.)

I ended up with two crappy opening routes: Chicago - Atlanta (a whopping 5 points) and Sault St. Marie - Nashville (8 points, yeehaa!). I was pretty sure she had gotten better routes (which she had: Seattle - New York for 20 points and Las Vegas - Miami for 21!), but what can you do, sometimes you just have to take a beating. So, off we went. I built both routes of mine ready quite fast and picked up Los Angeles - Oklahoma City (9) as my next one. Luckily I just happened to have 5 blacktrain + 1 wild in my hand, so I could immediately build the 6-train route from LA to El Paso! I had collected black cards just because I had already gotten a couple of them and thought I might as well collect a full 6 and build a pointless 15-point route somewhere. My wife, on the other hand, thought I had done that to screw up her Miami route, although I had no idea she was after it! However, I knew she was on her way to Seattle and decided to block the one-train Portland - Seattle batch. devil And what do you know, next route I pick up is Portland - Vancouver (2), along with finally a goodie: Los Angeles - Miami! Sometimes you just get lucky. I spent the endgame connecting my existing routes to get the LA - Miami one ready and, quite incredibly for such a lousy TTR player as me, even got to block my wife from getting to Miami at all by getting the Charleston - Miami batch!

The end result, to my amazement, was that she had failed both of her routes and I had succeeded in all of my five. I won her by 100 points exactly! So, both of the games we played that night ended exactly in the opposite way as we had expected - the "weaker" player won the "stronger" one, by a long shot! That's the beauty of boardgames for us! laugh
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.