Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling to understand this phrase of the rules. The first part about paying the warbands I understand it correctly, but I don't get the part about the settlements.

From 6.1: "A Foederati Settlement with no corresponding Foederati Warbands at the outset of Annona remains Foederati."

In my case, I have a a region with a Blue Foederati Settlement, a town and two militia, I understand that the town remains Foederati. But from that phrase, if there was a Blue Foederati Warband it would loose the Foederati status? That doesn't make much sense to me.

In the playbook I can't find a more detailed explanation and in the player aid for the Epoch Round there is no mention whatsoever about the Settlements in the Annona phase.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:
I'm struggling to understand this phrase of the rules. The first part about paying the warbands I understand it correctly, but I don't get the part about the settlements.

From 6.1: "A Foederati Settlement with no corresponding Foederati Warbands at the outset of Annona remains Foederati."

In my case, I have a a region with a Blue Foederati Settlement, a town and two militia, I understand that the town remains Foederati.
Note that it is not the Town, but the Settlement, that is and remains Foederati.

jesberpen wrote:
But from that phrase, if there was a Blue Foederati Warband it would loose the Foederati status? That doesn't make much sense to me.

In the playbook I can't find a more detailed explanation and in the player aid for the Epoch Round there is no mention whatsoever about the Settlements in the Annona phase.

Thanks!
You can think of it that way: you have to pay the warriors, not their families. If you don't pay the warriors (and they are not already carrying Plunder, which is like advance pay), wherever they are at the moment of Annona, they revolt (and you can only pay, or not pay, them, as a group, not pay some of them only). If they are with a Settlement of their nation, the Settlement is part of the revolt. But a Settlement without warriors doesn't need to be paid, and never revolts on its own (except by Event). Which means you are stuck with it (and cannot even use it to hire new Foederati warriors) unless someone destroys it for you...
Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:

In my case, I have a a region with a Blue Foederati Settlement, a town and two militia, I understand that the town remains Foederati. But from that phrase, if there was a Blue Foederati Warband it would loose the Foederati status? That doesn't make much sense to me.
In addition to Marc's answer;
I think you are missing the following bolded bit: If there is an unpaid foederati warband in the same region as the settlement it (and the warband) will not remain foederati. I.e. there are three possible cases:
a) a lone foederati settlement. This will always remain foederati
b) a foederati settlement with paid foederati warband(s). All pieces will remain foederati.
c) a foederati settlement with unpaid foederati warband(s). They all lose their foederati markers.

Note that if you have some warbands carrying plunder and others that don't in the same region even the ones carrying plunder will lose the foederati markers. This is only relevant if some warbands are carrying plunder from prior battles.

Also note that foederati of each colour and faction are evaluated separately. I.e. paid blue Saxon foederati will stay foederati even if red Saxon foederati in the same region are unpaid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I think you are missing the following bolded bit: If there is an unpaid foederati warband in the same region as the settlement it (and the warband) will not remain foederati. I.e. there are three possible cases:
b) a foederati settlement with paid foederati warband(s). All pieces will remain foederati.
c) a foederati settlement with unpaid foederati warband(s). They all lose their foederati markers.

Thank you both!

That is what I thought it made sense, but I couldn't discern that from the rulebook.

Great game, just finished my first one playing the 4 factions myself to learn the different actions and feats before trying out the AIs. It feels quite different compared to the other COINs but I like the new sides of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Thank you both!

That is what I thought it made sense, but I couldn't discern that from the rulebook.

Great game, just finished my first one playing the 4 factions myself to learn the different actions and feats before trying out the AIs. It feels quite different compared to the other COINs but I like the new sides of the game
For future reference, the relevant sentence is " Once both Factions are done
with the payments they want or can execute, in every Region with
a Foederati Warband of any given Nation and color left without
carrying Plunder, remove all Foederati markers of that color from
that Nation’s pieces (adjust Control)."
The part you quoted in the first post could almost be removed from where it is and instead become Note 3 as it doesn't actually add any rules, just clarifies them.
Contrary to Note 1, which actually does add rules and should probably not be relegated to italics...
Marc, maybe something worth considering for the second printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko, I'll look into this (though a second printing is rather far off I think... :-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so to make sure I understand...a Foederati settlement has inherent garrison units. So when you say you must "pay" all foederati, we can ignore the garrison unit...that doesn't count?

So if there are 2 warbands plus a settlement, I only have to pay the two warbands. The garrison in the settlement, is assumed to have been paid already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Resource Conversion Is My Trigger Word!
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
so to make sure I understand...a Foederati settlement has inherent garrison units. So when you say you must "pay" all foederati, we can ignore the garrison unit...that doesn't count?

So if there are 2 warbands plus a settlement, I only have to pay the two warbands. The garrison in the settlement, is assumed to have been paid already?

Barbarian settlements, foederati or otherwise, have no inherent garrison. They are just women and children, unable to defend themselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bald Terror wrote:
schmoo34 wrote:

Barbarian settlements, foederati or otherwise, have no inherent garrison. They are just women and children, unable to defend themselves...

In addition, I am pretty sure the garrisons that do exist have no effect on play except during the relevant parts of battle resolution. Unless someone is attacking the settlement right now, you never have to say, "Oh, yeah, there's a garrison in there." (You should of course remember to take the garrison into account when deciding whether to attack a settlement, but you don't have to pay it, it can't pop out of the garrison and cause trouble, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bald Terror wrote:
schmoo34 wrote:

Thank you for pointing out the captain obvious thing for me...you are correct and I completely missed it! HA! Garrison = 0. I never attacked a barbarian settlement yet so I never paid attention to that. I just assumed they all had a garrison. And thank you to the next person who clarified that garrison should be used during attacks but ignored otherwise. (So, for example, I don't count it as "enemy troops" when calculating AI raid priority, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points all!
Indeed, "garrisons" are entirely virtual units with no existence whatsoever except during Assaults, where they also represent the inherent protection offered by fortifications to the defenders, as in taking the first losses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.