Hide
22 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conditions Length Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom K
msg tools
There is a debate going on on a Reddit post I created this morning.
Here is the situation:

Start of my turn, I go BEFORE the monster
I stun monster.
My turn is done.

Stun states that it gets removed at the end of your NEXT turn

Monster goes...it's stunned
Round Ends

I go...do whatever...normal attack, no conditions added (do not kill monster).

Monster goes...STILL STUNNED

End of monsters turn...Stun gets removed.

Correct?

Also..lets say the monster goes FIRST, then my turn, I stun monster. Next round monster is stunned, at end of ITs turn stun gets removed.

So if I go before the monster it is stunned for effectively two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stun gets removed at the end of the STUNNED CREATURE'S next turn, not at the end of your next turn.

You stunned the monster on your turn, so the monster does nothing on its next turn.

Then the monster removes the stun counter after its turn and acts normally on its turn the following round ... unless you stun it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From what I understand, that's not correct. When it says "stunned until the end of your next turn," that's referring to the individual being stunned. In other words, the enemy is stunned until the end of its next turn.

So, you go and stun the enemy. Then it goes. It's stunned. Its turn ends, and the stun status is removed.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No. When a figure is stunned, it gets removed at the end of ITS next turn, not yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think you're confusing ROUND with TURN. Every hero and monster gets a TURN during a single ROUND.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Example: Brute is Initiative 10, Archer Init 40.

Brute stuns Archer on his turn, and does something else. Turn over.

Archer is stunned, cannot perform any actions. STUN REMOVED at end of TURN.

Next round starts. Archer can act normally this round.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Only time that conditions (that last until end of next turn) do NOT get removed at the end of any figure's TURN is if it was applied at some point DURING that exact turn.

Edit: mostly ninja'ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SovietVVinter
msg tools
The monster's next turn is the one it takes after you in your example. Next turn just means next FULL turn.

The only time a status effect would apply for two turns is if it's applied to itself during its turn, like if the monster walks over a stun trap during its own turn, in which case it would immediately be stunned as well as during its next turn.

Conversely, if you strengthen/invis yourself during your turn, you get the current turn plus your next full turn with the effect. If someone else strengthens/invis you on their turn, it would only apply for your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh and I would suggest referring to the rule book on the status effects until you really get a firm understanding of them and NOT the little cards that are for handy reference. I got a rule wrong in the past because it was over-simplified on that card. From the rule book:

Quote:
STUN – If a figure is stunned, it cannot perform any abilities or use items on its turn except to perform a long rest (in the case of characters). At the end of its next turn, the STUN token is removed. Players must still play two cards or rest on their turn, and if a player plays two cards while stunned, the actions played are not used, and the cards are simply discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hurst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The effect will only last for one of the target's turns.

Scenario 1:
Round 1-
M: Acts
C: Stuns
Round 2-
M: Stunned, remove stun

Scenario 2:
Round 1-

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
So this is confirming what I wrote, no?

If I go before the monsters turn and stun it, then end my turn.
Monster goes...it's Stunned, no turn.
Round over.

My next trun...I do whatever
Monsters next turn. STILL stunned...end Monsters turn...remove token.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Stalvin wrote:
The effect will only last for one of the target's turns.

Scenario 1:
Round 1-
M: Acts
Round 2-

Scenario 2:
Round 1-

Hope this helps!

This hurts my brain. The card says at the end of the NEXT turn (so the end of the monsters turn in this case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

No. The monster is only stunned for its next full turn, which in your example is the turn after it was stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

No, every single person who posted contradicted you.

This is the sequence:

You stun the monster. Your turn ends.
On the monster's turn, it's stunned and does nothing. It ends its turn and loses the stunned condition.

This is what everyone means when they say "end of next turn" refers to the monster's next turn, not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

No. The monster is only stunned for its next full turn, which in your example is the turn after it was stunned.

You seem to be under the impression that the monster's first turn after being stunned is skipped entirely. That's not the case. They get a turn but just can't do anything with it, then the stun is removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

This is the sequence:

On the monster's turn, it's stunned and does nothing. It ends its turn and loses the stunned condition.

This is what everyone means when they say "end of next turn" refers to the monster's next turn, not yours.

I admit defeat. It still does not make total sense to me (I am thick sometimes...all the time). I just see it as the monster gets IT's turn, and at the END of IT's next turn it will lose the token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:
I admit defeat. It still does not make total sense to me (I am thick sometimes...all the time). I just see it as the monster gets IT's turn, and at the END of IT's next turn it will lose the token.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you are getting that, but you can just take our word for it if your brain won't cooperate.

Stun is removed after the figure's next turn, not its second turn after being stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need to think of is this:

When a character is stunned ... the next time it has a chance to act, it can't because it was stunned.

Remove the stun counter.

Keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
I should have looked at the official FAQ:

If a condition lasts until the end of my next turn, what exactly does "next turn" mean?

"Next turn" means your next full turn. So if you start a turn with the condition in effect, then at the end of that turn, it is removed. If a monster stuns you on its turn, then your next turn (whether that happens in the current round or the following round) you would be under the effect of stun, and then it would go away at the end of that turn. If you manage to get stunned on your own turn, you would immediately suffer the effects, then you would also suffer from the effects on your following turn in the following round before the effect wore off at the end of that turn. This also applies to conditions on monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Alex
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rafens wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

This is the sequence:

Just replace 'IT's next turn' with 'it's first full turn' and you'll get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

This is the sequence:

Think of it chronologically from the monster's POV. You stun the monster. At that moment, when is the monster's next turn? Right after yours. That is its "next turn".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hagood
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
Oh... I made myself sad...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you worked it out, but basically the guideline is that a stun removes a single turn from a monster. If you've found yourself in a situation where a monster seems to lose 2 turns from a single stun... you've done something wrong. You'd have to stun it again AFTER it loses the stun to accomplish that. Same with immobilized. They're immobilized for just one turn as well.

Also of note: Stuns and conditions don't stack with themselves. If you stun it twice before it's turn, the new one overwrites the old one so he still only misses 1 turn.

Rafens wrote:

The only possible help I have here is clarifying the usage of the word Next. In Gloomhaven (And most boardgames) it means "The soonest turn after the current turn, where the stun was applied", not the usage that would be similar to "next Tuesday" which means "The Tuesday after this week's tuesday".

tolhs wrote:

Just replace 'IT's next turn' with 'it's first full turn' and you'll get it.

Or, "It loses it's upcoming turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
If it’s any consolation, the first time I read the rules I came away with the same interpretation as you, OP. I interpreted ‘The end of its next turn’ as NOT the end of its current turn, but the end of its next turn (e.g. 2 turns if stunned before its initiative order). The FAQ cleared this up and confirms what everyone is saying in this thread. I think I only played one scenario incorrectly. But I totally understand how it can be read the other way.

Edited as my memory of early play came back to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:
Rafens wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
Rafens wrote:

Round over.

Correct?

This is the sequence:

Think of it chronologically from the monster's POV. You stun the monster. At that moment, when is the monster's next turn? Right after yours. That is its "next turn".

Yes, that makes total sense. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.