8 Posts

Quartermaster General» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard Step with no cards in hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Discard Step, you may discard as many cards as you want. If your hand is empty, can you discard from the top of your draw deck?

This is particularly relevant in Alternate Histories, where not discarding during the Discard Step causes a penalty of 1 VP. So, if your hand is empty at the beginning of your discard step, can you discard the top card of your draw deck to avoid losing a point?

Relevant rules:

QMG Rulebook, page 12:
QMG Rulebook, page 12 wrote:
If a card directs you to discard from your hand but your hand is empty, you must discard the top card(s) of your draw deck instead.

AH Rulebook, page 2:
AH Rulebook, page 2 wrote:
During your Discard step, you must discard at least one card from your hand, or your side deducts 1 Victory Point.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmb
I would like to emphasize the condition mentioned in the rulebook for discards from draw deck if hand is empty: "If a card directs you to discard from your hand... "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I didn't think it through, but we'll go with the AH rulebook, and no taking from the draw deck allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! You rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pit
Greece
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have a question about the same subject. Imagine a common situation that a player has both draw deck and his hand empty. During the playstep, he loses 1 VP instead of playing a card, then during the victory step he scores as many points as he can and finally, during the discard step he loses another 1 VP instead of discarding a card. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexPit wrote:
Imagine a common situation that a player has both draw deck and his hand empty. During the playstep, he loses 1 VP instead of playing a card, then during the victory step he scores as many points as he can and finally, during the discard step he loses another 1 VP instead of discarding a card. Am I right?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexPit wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about the same subject. Imagine a common situation that a player has both draw deck and his hand empty. During the playstep, he loses 1 VP instead of playing a card, then during the victory step he scores as many points as he can and finally, during the discard step he loses another 1 VP instead of discarding a card. Am I right?

You don't lose points for being unable to play a card.

However, you do lose 1 VP for not discarding. So in total, 1 VP is lost, not 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
You don't lose points for being unable to play a card.
Right you are. Thanks for correcting my answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.