Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Serrurier
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Morning,
Can you please explain how the monolith moves around the edge when there are missing worlds?
A picture would be great :-)
Thanks
Luke.S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Urbain
msg tools
Hello

The Regression monolith always move clockwise and on the edge of the board. When a tile is discarded from the board, the edge of the board changes.
The hex without a galaxy on it doesn't count in the Monolith movement, it is as if they doesn't exist anymore.

Simon
Morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Serrurier
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Simon, but does it move to the inner tile ot just go around the outside till there are no more on that ring and then moves in?
Could you provide an updated picture, as the rules only shows a fully intact outer ring.
Thanks heaps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Serrurier
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon, I have added an example picture.
Is the movement the orange or the blue?
Thanks heaps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Urbain
msg tools
No the outside Hex with no tiles around doesn’t exist anymore for the regression Monolith. The Monolith just stick to the edge of the board and if a galaxy tile is removed then the edge of the galaxy naturally evolves.

In your pictures the right movement is the Orange one and you need to move the Monolith 5 times for him to end up on the last tile on the right.

Simon
Morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Serrurier
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks heaps Simon :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
This could lead to very strange universe shapes. If the left one was not removed, but instead the one directly left from that space. This would create a peninsula. How should the monolith move in that case. In my opinion this is touched way to briefly in the rules.
Edit: there are even scenario’s possible that there is an lonely galaxy island fully disconnected from the rest of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Serrurier
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon, Just checking that the monolith on the game board moves the same number of spaces as the regression?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
According to the rules the amount the monolith moves is equal to the number of regression symbols visible (only on the mission track I assume). Furthermore it seems to me that visible means: not covered up by pioneers.
I guess the movement of the monolith can vary so that you can't calculate way ahead which tiles will be flipped when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voicesofvictory wrote:
According to the rules the amount the monolith moves is equal to the number of regression symbols visible (only on the mission track I assume). Furthermore it seems to me that visible means: not covered up by pioneers.
I guess the movement of the monolith can vary so that you can't calculate way ahead which tiles will be flipped when.

We read it as being it moves the number of tiles equal to the number of regression symbols visible on the tech board. So if the monolith market moved 4 spaces on the mission track crossing or landing on the regression space, the monolith on the game board would remove the tile it was on and then move 4 spaces forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
interesting haha, thought about that as well, but since we were looking at the mission track and since this track determines whether the monolith moves we assumed that it would be weird if the amount of movement would be determined on a whole different board. Just to be clear we counted the amount of regression symbols between the marker and the pioneers (so the monolith did not move 14 spaces the first time it crossed )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The symbols on th mission track are simply there to state where a galaxy tile is removed.

@Hessel: On page 11 of the rules it states that the tech board is to consider for movement, emphasized by a picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Passamonti
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Bonus Tokens thread this make me more confused than before...
I can’t remember if I read something about that or not but what happens when a space ship it’s on an hex that would be removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadowDast wrote:
I can’t remember if I read something about that or not but what happens when a space ship it’s on an hex that would be removed?

It moves to the Earth tile in the same dimension it was on. (p15, case 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LFITQ wrote:
We read it as being it moves the number of tiles equal to the number of regression symbols visible on the tech board. So if the monolith market moved 4 spaces on the mission track crossing or landing on the regression space, the monolith on the game board would remove the tile it was on and then move 4 spaces forward.

That's what I thought too. But it does potentially lead to weirdly shaped universes, with peninsula, or outright islands...

In his video (although this is quite a while ago, and before the finalization of the rules), Radho uses the tech board to move the marker on the mission track, but then only moves the monolith itself by one space on the main board. To me that made more sense, although this is not what the rules state anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Asmussen
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
Played HOPE for the first time yesterday, and we also found this very confusing. I was originally moving the monolith as described by the orange arrows in the picture in this thread, but a situation arose in which a player was going to be stranded on a two tile island that would no longer be connected to the rest of the universe, which made me think that we must be doing it wrong. However, the post in this thread seems to indicate that we were doing it correctly. I'm not certain how we were supposed to deal with the board being split into two separate sections. And if the monolith movement would have carried it into the segregated section after destroying the only remaining connection to the rest of the board, what would it have done after eating all of the remaining tiles in the island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Urbain
msg tools
asmussen wrote:
Played HOPE for the first time yesterday, and we also found this very confusing. I was originally moving the monolith as described by the orange arrows in the picture in this thread, but a situation arose in which a player was going to be stranded on a two tile island that would no longer be connected to the rest of the universe, which made me think that we must be doing it wrong. However, the post in this thread seems to indicate that we were doing it correctly. I'm not certain how we were supposed to deal with the board being split into two separate sections. And if the monolith movement would have carried it into the segregated section after destroying the only remaining connection to the rest of the board, what would it have done after eating all of the remaining tiles in the island?

Hello if the board is separate in two at some point in the game, you'd have to discard the smallest part of the universe not connected to the Earth tile. If there is pioneers on it their owners take them back, if there is player's spaceship on it they got teleported on the Earth tile.

This were supposed to be include in the rule, but we'll share an online FAQ as soon as we gathered the most asked questions.

Simon
Morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.