Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Leibig
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I must be dense. I can't figure out who goes first in a the scenarios in this expansion. I am sure I am missing something obvious, but I just don't see it. Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldman20 wrote:
I must be dense. I can't figure out who goes first in a the scenarios in this expansion. I am sure I am missing something obvious, but I just don't see it. Any help would be appreciated.

The rules on p2 say:

The squamata player’s turn will alternate with that
of their opponent (demonic or human, depending on
the situation). This turn has two distinct phases: the
instinct phase (corresponding to the human player’s
initiative phase, or the demon player’s threat phase)
and the action phase (similar to the phase of the
same name of the opponents).

In the base game humans go first, so I read the above as meaning against a demon, Kartikeya goes first, and against humans, they go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Oldman20 wrote:

The rules on p2 say:

The squamata player’s turn will alternate with that
of their opponent (demonic or human, depending on
the situation). This turn has two distinct phases: the
instinct phase (corresponding to the human player’s
initiative phase, or the demon player’s threat phase)
and the action phase (similar to the phase of the
same name of the opponents).

In the base game humans go first, so I read the above as meaning against a demon, Kartikeya goes first, and against humans, they go first.

I'd have cited the same rule in abbreviated form:

"The squamata player’s turn will alternate with that of their opponent (demonic or human, depending on the situation)."

That bit implies the turn order all by itself. The remainder describes how the turn is executed when taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leibig
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greetings,

I can see that seems to contain the answer, but that is a bit on the indirect side for a statement in a rule book. Not the most clear way to write it. Given the nature of the rule booklet, however, it is clear that they were trying to economize on the number of words.

After getting Sphere's answer, I went to look at the Cooperation scenario which supports three factions. On page 10, the turn order for that game is:

Kartikeya
Human
Demon

This would imply a different order than Chrysm, but, I think, in line with the answer from Sphere.

(Begin irrelevant_linguistic_discussion{I think that in these two sequences:

ABABAB
BABABA

That A will alternate with B, but A doesn't necessarily go first.}End irrelevant_linguistic_discussion)

At this point, I think I will use the base order from the three player game and just use the two factions that are playing in a particular two player scenario.

Thanks for taking the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
Shared Destinies, Survival Instinct and Cooperation specifically say that Kartikeya plays first.

In most of the scenarios it's just the squamata taking the place of the humans from the base game (or alongside some humans), so I have always followed the turn order from that: demon plays last. (But I agree that it does not seem to be explicitly stated.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now taken time to review the rules, and I stand by my previous answer: the base game sequence remains in effect - Humans first, Demons second. Kartikeya's opponent in the current scenario will determine whether Kartikeya moves in the Human or Demonic player turn. (The game overview sequence mentioned on page 10 of the rules applies to the Cooperation scenario only, as is always the case with scenario-specific rules.)

I was premature in posting here the first time, paraphrasing someone else's answer in an attempt to add clarity without due diligence to be certain it was correct. Luckily it was, but I really should have reviewed the rules before weighing in. I will certainly do so in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.