Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Yaglowski
United States
Auburn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a basic search here on BGG and also through the rulebook, but can't find a good answer...

My tail gunner fires at a German fighter that originated at the 1:30 High position as it passed my bomber. I scored a HIT, that resulted in a FBOA.

Since we are still in the initial attack (the German already fired, but is still in the initial attack phase), does the German fighter immediately break off, or does it come around for a successive attack with the -2 modifier?

I'm playing it that since the damage occurred in the initial attack phase, the German is driven off. Just looking for either verification or correction!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it just breaks off. At least that's how I've been playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Yaglowski
United States
Auburn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Yes, that's the way I play it too. But what gets me thinking (always a dodgy thing), FBOA stands for Fighter Breaks Off after Attack. So will that German fighter get another chance, but with the -2 modifier? It hasn't had a chance to attack since acquiring that status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dirk wrote:
I think it just breaks off. At least that's how I've been playing it.

This is also how I have played it.

I imagine that the damage inflicted is severe enough that the pilot is more concerned about finding a friendly airfield before his engine seizes than in lining up another attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaks off is the way I play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Plunk
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kptom wrote:
I did a basic search here on BGG and also through the rulebook, but can't find a good answer...

My tail gunner fires at a German fighter that originated at the 1:30 High position as it passed my bomber. I scored a HIT, that resulted in a FBOA.

Since we are still in the initial attack (the German already fired, but is still in the initial attack phase), does the German fighter immediately break off, or does it come around for a successive attack with the -2 modifier?

I'm playing it that since the damage occurred in the initial attack phase, the German is driven off. Just looking for either verification or correction!

Thanks!

Remember, successive attacks only occur IF the GAF fighter hits on its attack. So, if in the scenario you have described, there is the presumption that the GAF fighter missed your B-17 on its attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Yaglowski
United States
Auburn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I seem to have left that part out in my initial post. Indeed, the German fighter did score a hit on my bomber before the tailgunner took his shot.

Sorry for that confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
AMOS is correct, the passing shot is still part of the initial attack and the fighter would head for a friendly base to get repairs like Lou stated. ie break off his attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
kptom wrote:

Thanks!

I think your answer is in the runs, sample play turn 6 9.19. A 109 is hit by the tail gunner causing a FBOA and he breaks off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.