18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Painting miniatures starters advice needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I got a lot of miniatures in games and some I'd like to give it a go to paint some.

Since I've never done it before can someone tell me how to start or where to go to get lessons or info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Youtube has LOADS of people trying to teach you how to paint

Also checkout the mini-painting guild here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Thanks, I need to know what base set of paints I can buy also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. Includes instructions, miniatures, and a good starter set of paints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
Start with the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. Includes instructions, miniatures, and a good starter set of paints.

Trying to find in in MM. Do any other OLGS stock them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can order them directly from the reaper miniatures site if you are looking to buy the reaper kits. Many OLGS will carry other brands as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I got a lot of miniatures in games and some I'd like to give it a go to paint some.

Since I've never done it before can someone tell me how to start or where to go to get lessons or info?

Which games and or models are you looking at painting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

Trying to find in in MM. Do any other OLGS stock them?

I've often bought my paint and supplies from The War Store, and they have a Reaper starter set:
- Reaper Master Paint Starter Set $27.99

Additionally, I'd pick up Citadel Nuln Oil.
- Nuln Oil
It's kind of the new painter's secret weapon. Even with minimal painting and a quick wash of Nuln, the details will pop. The Citadel shades are one of the few situations where I'll pay the extra cost for Citadel paints.

The War Store has a pretty good flat shipping price, but if you buy enough I think you can hit free shipping.

Other things you might want to look into...
- Hobby knife to clean up mold lines. Some people prefer files for this, but I feel the hobby knife is quicker and easier.
- Green stuff to fill in gaps. (I'd just buy the smallest amount they sell.)
- A thinner. Water generally works pretty well, but this stuff tends to work a bit better for making a wash.
- Drying retardant. Depending on how dry where you live is and whether you get a wet palette.
- For sealing the models, I like Testor's Dullcote.
- For priming the models, I use Duplicolor Sandable primer. You can find it at auto-parts stores, but make sure it's not the filler and primer. Use multiple light coats. You can usually find it for a price much cheaper than miniature primers.

Primer comparison (which also shows you what the can of Duplicolor you're looking for):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget some of the free tutorial PDFs at https://www.thearmypainter.com/documents.php?folderid=1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

This. The reaper learn to paint kits are fantastic. Once you follow the instructions and see how good they turn out, it gives you all the confidence you need to start experimenting on your own games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Practice on figures you don't really care about. Zombie 15' has a LOT of zombie figures, which makes them great for painting, and I'm sure there are other games or ways to get cheap figures.

If you start painting on the figures you like the best, you'll probably get disappointed. It takes a lot of practice and patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

This. The reaper learn to paint kits are fantastic. Once you follow the instructions and see how good they turn out, it gives you all the confidence you need to start experimenting on your own games.

The best part of this, is your working on the actual mini used in the guides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

QFT

I'm personally impressed by this guy's solid fundamentals series:
It is exhaustive (to say the least!), but not too 'insert miracle here'-ish
(that is: not the kind of tutorial where three circles and a line suddenly becomes the Mona Lisa w/o any intervening interactions, IYKWIM)

(EDIT
( hmmmm... that link doesn't work: I was trying to get the Series Playlist...
Ok, so { link redacted }
Apparently our esteemed BGG doesn't handle 'Playlist' links,
only single video links.. "The More You Know"...)

Let's try this link instead ( the second Video in the series )

If for some reason that also that doesn't work, search for the Playlist:

Miniature Painting 101 by Miniwargamer Jay

Another great thing about his approach:
You can skip around and find what either interests you or something that applies to a specific situation,
rather than having to approach a whole lotta Lessons in strict sequential order.
There may be better 'beginner' videos, but I haven't seen'ed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Quite nervous about this. I will try with minis I don't care about. There is a local store that teaches for $25 but I want to do myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am a super amateur when it comes to painting miniatures. But here are my suggestions for what I do:

These steps are for the fastest way to paint miniatures. I use this method because usually board games come with dozens of miniatures, and painting each one with highlights and tones would consume way to much time, so I keep it simple (as in I skip all the spots where it says advanced):

1: Buy white primer. Step: Spray Miniatures.
1a: Advanced: Prime using base colors of the pattern you'll use. You also want to wash your miniatures, sand off any flash from the mold, use a metal pick to possibly add definition to minor details.
2: Buy generic acrylic paint and fine brushes. Step: Mix small amounts of acrylic paint with water until consistency feels like milk.
2a: Advanced: Use paint thinner instead, and purchase proper paints that will be thinner and have more vibrant colors.
3: Step: Paint your miniatures. Do multiple coats.
3a: Advanced: This is where you can use multiple techniques, the most common one is highlighting, for this you'll have to start mixing paints to get slightly different shades than what you have. You can slowly change the color so the highlight is more gradual. This step is where most of the action happens, and if you want to really get good at it, youtube tutorials on different techniques and practice.
4: Buy shades (paint that's really thin). Step: You can apply this to the whole miniature as a coat to give it a more dirty realistic feel, but it's really used to highlight the details on the miniature since the paint will go into the small sections of the miniature, so try applying it to those spots first.
5a: Advanced: Get a proper base, and decorate/paint to fit the miniature. You can buy some pre-made, or make wooden one and add things to it, like fake grass, etc.

Let it dry... and that's it for really fast basic painting. I personally don't do crazy techniques (just once in a while), because I like painting, but I also don't have the time to put much work into a single miniature. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Milnes
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above really. The only thing I can add is drybrushing. Load a flat brush with some paint, wipe almost all of it off on a paper towel, then brush across the miniature. Paint will "stick" on the raised portions giving a quick highlight.

There are better descriptions.

My process (following cleaning up the figure):

1. Block paint a base colour.
Often in a production line of many figures using one colour at a time
2. Use a coloured wash over the figure (as described in the previous posts)
Often different colours rather than one overall, eg, a flesh wash for skin, a brown wash for clothes, etc.
3. Dry brush a slightly lighter colour than the base colour to give a highlight.

This has given me satisfactory results over many armies.
Wash and drybrushing. Saving mediocre painters (me!) for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
There is a local store that teaches for $25 but I want to do myself.

Amazon is good for a discount on the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. Reaper has some promotional miniatures they're giving away each month, with additional promotions in October and December.

For classes, I never got around to them. Mebbe go through the kits so you have something of a start, then go to the classes for whatever you can't learn on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Depending on exactly where you live, be careful about ordering paints if there if a likelihood of them sitting outside for extended periods in extreme cold on delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.