Rising Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wily Presence... in any Province? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jo Bloggs
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gaming group is presuming that it is totally OK to place a Fox Clan Bushi in any Province where they have no force... Even if there is no War Province Token on that Province?

We were totally focused on the War Phase and winning battles but that Wily Fox placed Bushi in other Provinces to win uncontested in a Harvest Mandate in the first act of the Final Season.

We agreed that the Clan ability occurred at the start of the War Phase but wasn't otherwise linked to Provinces with numbered War Tokens.

We thought we'd ask what others thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legit wilyness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The wording of the fox ability makes placing bushi in any province acceptable. However, before the revisions were made, it was at the start of each battle, meaning it was limited to contested provinces.

I think CMON needs to add this to the FAQ to clarify. I believe the intention is only to be able to place them where a battle will take place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fox for you, and yes it works.

Be everywhere. You are weak so be in every fight and use Ronin and wear your opponents down, or lose every fight/sep/poets and get your men back to re-use next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bloggs
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

I think our lingering doubt was from the original wording and the link to battles.

I’m glad we played it out.

It seems we were simply outfoxed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:

I think CMON needs to add this to the FAQ to clarify. I believe the intention is only to be able to place them where a battle will take place.

I think the change, and the implications, were quite intentional. Whereas the original version allowed you to seppuku the same bushi over and over again during a single war phase, now they allow you to spread to unforeseen places.

What you suggest would be a simpler adaptation of the original text.
Original:
At the start of each Battle, summon a Bushi to that province if you have no Force there.
Adaptation:
At the start of the War Phase, summon a Bushi to a War Province if you have no Force there.
Current:
At the start of the War Phase, you may place a Bushi in each provice where you have no Force.

Instead of summoning, you now place, not triggering several abilities. Instead of only going into a province where a battle has started, you now have the ability to force a battle. In a 3 player game, the original Fox ability would never trigger, unless the other two players weren't allied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martens
United States
California
flag msg tools
So our question is where do the Bushi come from? The player last night believes you can move Bushi from one Provence to a nother. I beleive they come from the player's figure reserve, ie all Bushi on the board, no Bushi popping up in new Provences. The wording isn't clear and theres no detailed description of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability clearly says place, not move. The bushi come from the reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Sharkey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trence wrote:
The ability clearly says place, not move. The bushi come from the reserve.

This still isn’t quite clear to me as the rule book specifically refers to placing units from your reserve as Summoning. Had the Fox’s ability said “May Summon a Bushi...” it would be totally clear, but by saying “place” it’s open to interpretation as placing a Bushi that is already on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In the new FAQ 2.0 all your questions are answered:

FAQ 2.0 wrote:
Place:
When you “place” a figure, you simply take it from your Reserve and place
it on the board. This does not trigger any Summon effects.

FAQ 2.0 wrote:
FOX CLAN
Q: At the start of the War Phase, can the Fox Clan place a Bushi even in Provinces without a War Number token?
A: Yes, if they have no Force there, the Fox Clan can place a Bushi in the Province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Sharkey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, didn’t catch the “place” FAQ part, thanks for highlighting that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.