Subject: Mechanical Failure question.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Dunn
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm flying a B-24D and I rolled a mechanical failure which turned out to be #31 which is Turbo-supercharger. I was then referred to note "C" which tells you to roll 1D 10. I rolled a "10" which states: "All turbo-superchargers out". The notes then state that: "For any turbo-supercharger out, treat as one engine out". Since all my turbo-superchargers are out do I lose 4 engines? I played it as if I lost only 1 engine. I was given the option of aborting the mission & since I was only in zone #2(outbound, I decided to do just that. Did I play this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mechanical Failure question
My opinion - not official: The engine isn't out, but it cannot operate at full power above 10,000 feet. So it is considered "out" per Rule 5.10. If all Turbochargers fail you have to descend immediately and jettison bombs because you are dropping like a rock, because all your engines are only running at 25% capacity and cannot get enough oxygen until you can get enough oxygen. This is how I play it. (I guess there are possible Turbocharger failures that will eventually cause overheating.)

I would leave the formation and return home. (The last time I suffered a Turbosupercharger failure I was 40 miles from Munich. Since I couldn't make it back up and over the Alps I made a run for Switzerland.)

This video is a training film from the war on the Turbosupercharger: Master of the Skies 1943 General Electric USAAF Training Film
https://youtu.be/PKTSCXRjcmQ

Here are some quotes:

From Mission 11 of the 303rd BG (http://www.303rdbg.com/missions.html) :"#41-24561 The Duchess, 359BS-T (Savage), could not keep up with formation when the No. 1 prop ran away, the No. 1 supercharger was out and the Nos. 2 and 3 superchargers malfunctioned."

From Mission 164 of the 303rd BG : "Coming off the target, we headed due north for 25 minutes, while letting down to 14,000 feet from our bombing altitude of 22,000 feet. This was done to conserve fuel, as this was a critical problem on such a long mission. At the lower altitude, the turbosuperchargers could be turned off, and the engines leaned out for better fuel efficiency."

From Mission 248 of the 303rd BG : "The lead ship, piloted by 1Lt. Bernard C. Fontana, was hit in the No. 3 supercharger and was unable to maintain altitude and air speed."

From the diary of SGT Campbell (http://www.450thbg.com/real/biographies/campbell/campbell.sh...): "We blew a supercharger on take-off and by all rules shouldn't have left the ground but with a full bomb load, crew, and gas tanks filled we somehow made it. We could only draw 29 inches of mercury from No. 4 supercharger so we were way behind the formation and in doubt if we would be able to catch it."

From Mission 208 of the 450th BG: "Two aircraft returning early jettisoned two full loads totaling 4 tons of bombs in the Adriatic Sea. One of these because of inability to keep altitude with two superchargers inoperative..."
Finally...

30 March 44 - 723rd BOMB (H) SQ: "The 2 superchargers being out caused this aircraft to lose altitude and lag behind formation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sonson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these examples.
I played this result literally on the one occasion this has occurred with me - i.e. all 4 engines shut down - and had to crash land.
I'll write a home rule pending any response from the design team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dunn
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ola bergh
Sweden
Jordbro / Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yes thanks for this thread. I had exactly the same result but with an B17. I treated it like 1 engine out, but from now on, any turmochargers out is a 25% engine power so descending to 10k, jettison bombs, and return with 2 turns per zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawnpatrols wrote:
Yes thanks for this thread. I had exactly the same result but with an B17. I treated it like 1 engine out, but from now on, any turmochargers out is a 25% engine power so descending to 10k, jettison bombs, and return with 2 turns per zone.
In my semi-educated opinion, once you have descended to 10K, the engine will run closer to 100%. Just as there is enough oxygen to breathe without masks, there is also enough oxygen for the engines to run closer to normal without the Turbosuperchargers. Therefore, with no bombs onboard, I would play only 1 turn per zone... As long as the only problem with my engines were the 4 supercharges out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

This question has just come up in Steve Dixon's 900th BG (H) campaign and they are trying to get an official answer to this.If you read Note "C" slowly you will see that the single engine shuts down ONLY refers to a die roll of 1-8 and not a die roll of 9-10. So the "ALL" engines out, means ALL Engines out. But will they restart at 10K? I hope they rule that the engines will restart. As Lou point out, that would be the historical answer.

Till I get an answer...

Jim cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that the engine may still be running, but at 25% or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.