Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Gents,

There is alot of data out there for PL counters up to the early 70's. There is less information about the same units in AIW. is there a general agreed conversion formula to convert PL values to AIW values?

I've tracked down about six scenarios involving the Indo-Pakistani Wars and I'd like to develop the counters properly.

Thanks Much,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For instance a US M3 Stuart is 5-5-5-11 in PL

BUT this tank continued in use with the Pakistanis until 1954. So, what values does it have in AIW? Is there a formula?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, my best recommendation would be to compare it to the Sherman and T-34/85 (okay, not the T-34 as it is artificially lowered). I would take the Panzer Leader values and directly translate to AIW, except for Movement Factor: multiply by .6 and round up to "7".
My observation.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when I have something that has no comparable in the AIW / PL system? The Indians especially have been very good at taking Soviet tanks and up gunning them, bettering their electronics, engines, and even adding armor. There's alot of equipment like that in the Indian Army inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas how large the hexes are in AIW? 250 Yards? More? Less? I've found another game that might provide the means to re-engineer values. Specifically I can get a handle on weapon ranges if I knew the distance of an AIW hex.

With that value I can calculate two things, Range and Movement.

Another question: What might be the attack value difference between AK 47 armed infantry of the 60+s and rifle armed infantry prior to that? For instance the Israeli infantry assumes they are all equipped with Uzis' which explains their short range compared to the Egyptians. However, both sides prior to 1956 or so were armed primarily with the standard British .303 Enfield. There needs to be more than one type of infantry for all sides differentiating between rifle, semi-auto assault rifles, and sub-machineguns.

I very much like AIW but in many ways it is rather rudimentary especially given today's access to greater amounts of data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moberg
msg tools
mb
Late to the party, but incase this is still vexing you. There was a large General Article that is the best place I found to give hints to AIW rating values. Carl Schwamburger showed me it years ago. He's the guy to ask IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I forgot about Carl. Last I heard, he lived only an hour distance to the north of me. Might have to go visit him if he's still to be found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.