14 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Robinson Crusoe vs This War Of Mine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What's your favourite and why?

I want to buy one of these games. Not sure I can justify getting both, and they both appear to scratch a similar itch. I'd like to play it co-op with my girlfriend, who isn't much of a board gamer, but enjoys playing when she does.

I only have a few games in my collection:
Great Western Trail
Manhattan Project - Energy Empire
Plague Inc.
One Night Ultimate Werewolf (+ Daybreak)
Bang The Dice Game

Which do you think I would prefer?

Note: I posted this also in the "This War Of Mine" forum here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for This War of Mine but Robinson Crusoe is fairly complex and if she doesn't play games, it might be too much for her. However, since it is co-op if you know the game enough and can walk her through it, she may enjoy it. Do you have examples of other games she has played?

I know you mentioned you wanted to play it with your girlfriend but Robinson Crusoe is also great as a solo game so that is always worth trying if you end up getting it and she doesn't like it as much as you thought she would.

It might be worth asking your girlfriend what she prefers for a theme? From what I hear, This War of Mine can get quite emotional so Robinson Crusoe is a little more lighthearted.

In terms of difficulty, Robinson Crusoe can be rather unforgiving so that might be worth taking into account if you don't mind losing a lot (especially when you first start playing).

I hope that helps. I'm sorry I can't compare it to This War of Mine but hopefully this will give you enough info for Robinson Crusoe, at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both can be fairly brutal at times, can run long, give a feeling of you being trapped and need to cling to life, can have swings in luck, initally seem to overwhelm you with toi many options until you know what you are doing, and have awful rulebooks (even the new edition for Robinson) that I recommend you grok and do a solo playhrough or with another group before playing with any non-hardcore gamers.

Get Robinson if:
thumbsup You want to have a greater sense of contril by having more options to mitigate the luck.
thumbsup You want a less depressing and miserable experience.
thumbsup You want a more strategic experience.
thumbsup You want to feel like you are actually building up to something over the course of the game.
thumbsup You want more unique starts to each game, through the more scenarios.

Get This War of Mine if:
thumbsup You want to feel like you are learning a new perspective on life, even if that perspective makes you feel awful.
thumbsup You want story text and such story text to be at times to thematically be your only clue to drive your decisions.
thumbsup You value theme over mechanics.
thumbsup You want the game that if there is someone to guide the other players is arguably easier for others to not be overwhelmed.
thumbsup You want more divergence and thus uniqueness over the course of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
Both can be fairly brutal at times, can run long, give a feeling of you being trapped and need to cling to life, can have swings in luck, initally seem to overwhelm you with toi many options until you know what you are doing, and have awful rulebooks (even the new edition for Robinson) that I recommend you grok and do a solo playhrough or with another group before playing with any non-hardcore gamers.

Get Robinson if:
thumbsup You want to have a greater sense of contril by having more options to mitigate the luck.
thumbsup You want a less depressing and miserable experience.
thumbsup You want a more strategic experience.
thumbsup You want to feel like you are actually building up to something over the course of the game.
thumbsup You want more unique starts to each game, through the more scenarios.

Get This War of Mine if:
thumbsup You want to feel like you are learning a new perspective on life, even if that perspective makes you feel awful.
thumbsup You want story text and such story text to be at times to thematically be your only clue to drive your decisions.
thumbsup You value theme over mechanics.
thumbsup You want the game that if there is someone to guide the other players is arguably easier for others to not be overwhelmed.
thumbsup You want more divergence and thus uniqueness over the course of a game.

Did you play both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
as3bes4 wrote:
Did you play both?

Yup and own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
as3bes4 wrote:
Did you play both?

Yup and own both.

I own and have played both of these too, and I totally agree with Alan's synopsis. Robinson Crusoe gives you more control, This War of Mine is more thematic, and both can feel brutally punishing. This War of Mine also contains some seriously heavy emotional stuff, so be warned it may affect you strongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
littlechandler wrote:
as3bes4 wrote:
Did you play both?

Yup and own both.

I own and have played both of these too, and I totally agree with Alan's synopsis. Robinson Crusoe gives you more control, This War of Mine is more thematic, and both can feel brutally punishing. This War of Mine also contains some seriously heavy emotional stuff, so be warned it may affect you strongly.

I wasn't trying to infer that the opinion was wrong, just trying to figure out if both games had been played to get to them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and played both -and I think both games are either too complex or brutal to be good gateway games. I introduced both games to my gf in the past (who joins me once or twice a month in game sessions), she thought both of the games had interesting ideas. However she was completely unattentive to ‘ This War of Mine’ while she was eager to play the first scenario of Robinson Crusoe. But still, much better games out there to play with signifant other.

If I had to decide between this two, I would easily pick RC. It already has a proper expansion too (and another one coming Q4 2018). Both games are succesful at what they do, but TWoM would not make it even into a comparison, without the Kisckstarter/PC game hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Considering the games you already own, and that you intend to play with your girlfriend who isn't a heavy gamer, I would definitely suggest Robinson Crusoe. IMO it is a much better couple's game. You'll have plenty of moments where you can discuss the way to solve things together and at other times plenty of agency to go on adventures 'on your own' so to speak. It can make for some hilarious and memorable story telling.

This War Of Mine is different. Its more of a dark, gritty cinematic experience whereas Robinson Crusoe is an adventure sandbox.

I love both games for their own reason, but overwhelmingly prefer to play This War of Mine solitaire. I'd only introduce it to my girlfriend if she notices it on my shelf, is interested in wartime stories and happens to like depressing dramas or 'experience' type games. Which will never happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
littlechandler wrote:
and have awful rulebooks (even the new edition for Robinson)

I've only read the new edition rulebook so can't comment on the old one. The new one is pretty clear and good as far as rulebooks go. There are far worse, like Stronghold 2nd Edition for example.

I would've got this game to the table sooner if not for the bad rep that the old rulebook had and all the rules questions being asked here makes it seem like a difficult game to play (ie fiddly/unclear rules)- it really isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition English rulebook was atrocious, filled with poor translations and unclear rules. The second edition (ZMan) was much improved as far as English goes, but still had a lot of rules ambiguity. The latest version is so much better its hard to compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe...
That is my biased opinion . Here's why...
* I play this game with my wife (non-board gamer) and she loves it!
* If you know how to play, and make sure you KNOW how to play, then teaching this game is not too bad. It's co-op after all!
* You are able to run through a few games SOLO to get the "flow" down before dumping it on your girlfriend.
* The theme is awesome and has a HUGE replay ability (i.e. 8 base game scenarios, Voyage of the Beagle, many fan-made scenarios, a few additional official Portal scenarios, the upcoming Mystery Tales expansion, etc.)
* This one is big for me... It is REALISTIC! You will find no fantastical creatures, magical dwarfs, etc. However, you may find a skeleton, a bear, some treasure, some equipment washed up on shore, etc.
* It's HARD!!! Which makes it that much more enjoyable when you finally get Jenny off that rock and paddle her lazy butt back to safety!

I've only played TWOM online on TableTop Simulator and wasn't too fond of it... good game though, theme was not doing it for me. Either way you'll be buying a good game I think. But, IMHO Robinson Crusoe is the better option (keep in mind, it will take some time to master/learn). It may also depend on what THEME you prefer... like suggested, perhaps ask your girlfriend if she'd rather play a game about being stranded on a desert island and surviving OR, a game about being trapped in a war-torn city and having to scrounge around to survive?

Either way... HAVE FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumDuder8 wrote:
Robinson Crusoe...
That is my biased opinion . Here's why...
* I play this game with my wife (non-board gamer) and she loves it!

Exactly the same for me. I can rarely get my wife (who isn't a board gamer) to ever play with me, but she likes Robinson Crusoe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello there
msg tools
mb
imo TWOM is a much easier game to learn the rules for than Robinson but you always feel you are reacting to events rather than in control of your own destiny. It also has a very dark and uncomfortable theme.

Both are great games but if you can guide the new player through the first play, I think Robinson is more accessible because of the lighter theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.