Hide
4 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Despite The Mentak Genocide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Esben Heick
msg tools
We had the pleasure of having a game of twilight last weekend. I was Mentak, and played against excellent gamers who however was new to ti4. They were Hacan, Letnev and Sol.

I set up shop with a small fleet on MR and decided to be reckless, aggressive and proactive in order to sport the table and goad the new players out of their potential turtling - Not all of those moves were particularly smart or tactical but I started picking fights left and right, plundering their goods and attacking fleets that were unprotected, get in the way and annoy the others and provoke interesting choices. You know, play the game

It was fun, and it stirred lots of trouble.

Mentak, it turns out, is awesome at this. I did not expect it to be profitable on the long run, but I did manage to block Sol into Hacan in stead of me and while Hacan and Letnev had a fine alliance the board grew a lot of entertaining conflict.

Letnev made a huge fleet, but while he did want to fight my small Mentaks on MR he did not want to fight the Sol dreadnoughts who had the same idea. And so they stayed away. And so I stayed on MR. I told them that this would mean I'd get points if I could get a hold of SC8.

Sol and Hacan fought a war and Sol invaded and Hacan threw out Sol with the 'aid' of Letnev who were 'paid' with the spoils of the war. Central planets previously owned by hacan.

Conflict and lots of it. Peace and then war again. I still had 2 cruisers and a GF on MR. I racked up the VP's and suddenly people started eyeing my position. They slowly started to focus more on me. They were behind.

I had Diplomacy and Technology in the previous turn, and had the action card where I could keep my strategy cards. I played it. I needed only 1 point. Had a secret objective demanding my two racial techs, so the point was as good as in the bag if I could get my 2 techs, and we could end the game.

The table looked at my unscored objective and guessed my plan. So well...

They realized they could not stop me simply by grabbing Moll Prime. I would still be able to score my Secret Objective.

Letnev asked about if Elimination was a thing. I looked it up. Its a rather theoretical possibility but its in the rules. If you have 0 planets 0 GF and 0 production, youre eliminated.

The table agreed on mutual peace and commenced Operation Mentak Genocide. I quickly played Tech7 and got my techs I needed to win. Now I just had to survive.

Then I started losing planets. Fast. Really fast.

A huge Sol fleet attacked my now sizable fleet at MR. A huge clash with dreadnoughts and invaders vs my fleet. A few rounds later no fighters had survived. All my ships died then in a huge blast vs the 5 Sol Ships.

But I had the Flagship there, and rolled 9+ on 5 dice on the last attack roll. No fighters had survived so 4 dreads and the Sol Flagship with the invasion force died. Nothing was left. Sols fleet and mine was eradicated. Hacan finished the job with a carrier and a guy.

Letnevs fleet was all over me. It was brutal with Duranium armor and the flag ship was mean. It soaked damage like there was no tomorrow. Hacan sneaked in and attacked through a wormhole.

Sol had Warfare so I used Diplomacy on a system I had far from Sol. He still managed to remove the counter abd attack the system but my soldier defended and booted the invaders alone.

I had a great grand total of 2 planets left with 1 ground force left and a deep space pds. No ships at all, and no production. I was saved by that PDS which tore through loads of invaders in neighboring systems. Had they had 1 more command counter, and a little luck, I'd be out.

I survived to Status Phase with nails firmly clawed into the table an inch from Elimination. So I won. Against new players of course, but they obviously learned how the game works. It was a very peculiar game and great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Very exciting game.
Nail-biting

Just so you know, there is a community effort to collect data.

Races Tier List - Ranking (help collect data!)

Takes 1 minute to file a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
Already did. I record every game, we need good statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome

Fully agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.