Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My younger brother recently learned about Lovecraftian horrors and asked me if I was aware of an illustrated compendium with descriptions of the mythos.

I wondered if anyone in this community had a good suggestion or two.

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Lucchi
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S. Petersen's Field Guide to Lovecraftian Horrors might be a good start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Petersens-Field-Guide-Lovecraftian-Ho...

That said, much of the charm of Lovecraft's world comes in experiencing them indirectly in his prose.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both, that is exactly what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the book contain Lovecraft's own creations only or also contributions to the Mythos from other authors? If the latter, does it identify the creators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Lucchi
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly his own creations with a few exceptions (only Ithaqua comes to mind, but there are a few more). It doesn't identify creators as far as I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Petersen's has a bibliography or suggested reading section, though (don't have it near me at the moment)?

A more hardcore reference work is this (not exactly what you want, but a lot of fun for the obsessed - and great for finding the origins of different beasties):

https://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Mythos-Encyclopedia-Daniel-Ha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
It includes the most popular or mostly used creations in the Cthulhu RPG. This means, it also includes quite a few creatures that are NOT Lovecraft's own creations. Most prominent among these is probably the Dark Young, Sandy Petersen's own creation. Also the Hounds of Tindalos, Hastur and others.

As this is a book meant to provide usefulness in play (i.e. for characters), there is little to no "factual" information - not where the creature is first mentioned, nor the creator of the creature (or its name - cf. Byakhee: vague description by Lovecraft, name and specifics by Derleth and later authors). The book provides atmospheric descriptions and imagery, and therefore is not too helpful if you want to delve deeper into the literature or the literary sources...

...and even the bibliography provided at the end of the book is at least partially (if not mostly) fake...

And as Brother Jim mentioned, Daniel Harms' book is the real guide, here, with reliable information etc.

Edit:
I had to self-correct. The book simply provides a selection of creatures and beings. Some of the most popular ones, yes, but some popular ones are also missing, while others listed in the book are neither well-known nor altogether popular by themselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...if you want a list of creations not by Lovecraft (or not completely, as in "names provided later to unspecified descriptions") that are listed in the book mentioned, here it is:
Byakhee (Name), Cthonians, Dimensional Shambler (not sure, but I think the name is not given by Lovecraft), Dark Young, Formless Spawn (name definitely, creature can be debated), Hounds of Tindalos, Ithaqua, Star Vampire, Tsathoggua; Abhoth, Atlach-Nacha, Basilisks, Blupes, Buopoths, Fireworms of Parg, Gnorri, Great Ones (the name, definitely), Servants of Karakal (not sure, but I think definitely the name), Haemophore, "Lamp-Salamanders" (not sure, have the German translation, so the name in the original book might be different), Larvae of the Outer Gods (possibly the initial idea by Lovecraft, but neither description nor name), Butterfly Dragons, Voonith, Wamps (not sure, but think so), Cloud Beasts.
Hastur is not in the book - I misremembered.

These are 25 of 53 creatures in the book - nearly half of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more or less reliable online source of info? I don't actually want to dig deep into the Mythos. The fact is that I'm thinking of designing a game inspired by Lovecraft's universe and don't want to use non-literary creations, particularly proprietary stuff that appears only in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might sound absurd, but Wikipedia (the English version) is actually a pretty good source. It lists lots of Cthulhu Mythos creatures, deities, etc., and provides lots of bibliographic information for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_the_Cthulhu_Mythos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cthulhu_Mythos_refer...

This is just a starting point. There are lots of pages in Wikipedia going into detail on this or that subject, creature, character, location etc.

Edit:
Be aware that even literary sources might not be completely free of copyright. Writers like Ramsey Campbell or Brian Lumley come to mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
[...] Dimensional Shambler (not sure, but I think the name is not given by Lovecraft) [...]

I think the Dimensional Shamblers were first mentioned in The Horror in the Museum by Hazel Heald.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When Stephen Jones agrees to stay at the museum over night, the museum's owner George Rogers wears a dead Dimensional Shambler's hide as a costume to scare the protagonist. Later on Rogers says something along the lines of "Be thankful that it wasn't a real living Dimensional Shambler, or you'd be insane now", if I remember correctly.
However, that story has been 'revised' (i.e. heavily rewritten, possibly even ghostwritten) by Lovecraft before it was published, so it's not impossible that he himself came up with the name. No one will ever be able to tell for sure though, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.