10 Posts

Trajan» Forums » Rules

Subject: About the Extra action wild card: can we use a +2 tile with it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
It seems to me that the manual is not quite clear about this and we made a house rule to allow it (as it makes more sense than the alternative).

But some argued this would make this tile too strong (which I kinda get, but, that seems to be the point of wildcard tiles), hence the question.

I still think it makes sense, as it seems to me that this is:
1) a good way to get rid of a poorly placed +2 tile (if you ever done this goof);
2) give you a flexible action you need;
3) still apply the same rule the manual has (it is still an extra action, it is still allocated, it is just a wildcar and it just lacks a +2 under it).

Any thoughts or considerations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VeteranVandal wrote:
It seems to me that the manual is not quite clear about this and we made a house rule to allow it (as it makes more sense than the alternative).

But some argued this would make this tile too strong (which I kinda get, but, that seems to be the point of wildcard tiles), hence the question.

I still think it makes sense, as it seems to me that this is:
1) a good way to get rid of a poorly placed +2 tile (if you ever done this goof);
2) give you a flexible action you need;
3) still apply the same rule the manual has (it is still an extra action, it is still allocated, it is just a wildcar and it just lacks a +2 under it).

The rules state:

Extra action wild card: This wild card is a substitute for any extra action tile and is removed from the game subsequently.

They also state that if you have a +2 marker you can do an extra action twice when you turn in an extra action tile.

I don't see the confusion. You can use the Extra action wild card to do any action, and do it twice if there's a +2 marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VeteranVandal wrote:
You don't ever get rid of the +2 tiles you have placed, if that's what you're saying here.

Rules state:
When used, the (extra action) tile is removed from the game, but the players keeps their [+2] markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
Well, what you said is what I told my group.

Maybe they just didn't want to allow me to take 3*9 point Trajan tiles... In the end I did the action because this is not that absurd of an amount of points.

Also, you misunderstood it the "get rid of the +2 tile" deal. Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
When you complete a Trajan tile that gives you a +2 token, you take a +2 token and place it on one of the 6 spaces on your player board and it stays there the rest of the game. As an example, let's pretend you put it on the space corresponding to shipping actions.

Then, whenever you use a shipping extra action tile, it gives you 2 extra shipping actions instead of just the one.

In our example, if you play a wild extra action tile to take an extra shipping action, it will give you two extra shipping actions. If instead you use it for a different type of action, it will only give you one extra of whatever type you are using it for.

Also note that extra action tiles can only be used to take an extra action of the same type that you just took normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
VeteranVandal wrote:
Maybe they just didn't want to allow me to take 3*9 point Trajan tiles... In the end I did the action because this is not that absurd of an amount of points.

It seems like there might be a more fundamental misunderstanding here. Scoring a Trajan tile happens when you end your movement of colored markers on a bowl with a Trajan tile on it, and you have the right colored markers in that bowl. Then you remove that Trajan tile from that space on your player board and take the bonus associated with it.

Scoring Trajan tiles are not subject to being doubled (or tripled) the way actions can be through the use of extra action tiles. So, for example, if you score a 9-VP Trajan tile, there is no way to double or triple doing that.

You could double the Trajan action if you had an extra Trajan action tile, or triple it if you had an extra Trajan action tile with a +2 marker under it. But, that would mean you are taking two (or three) Trajan tiles from the supply and putting them on spaces on your player board. If you want those two (or three) all to be 9-VP Trajan tiles, that is also fine. But, you won't actually get the 9 VP until you (later) score those Trajan tiles as described above (which will take multiple subsequent turns to achieve).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VeteranVandal wrote:
Your interpretation is correct. You may use the +2 bonus tile with a wild extra action chit (assuming you use the wild as the action where you've placed the +2 tile).

There is nothing in the rules to suggest that a wild extra action chit would not be used this way. This is also the way it is implemented at boiteajeux.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Whoa! I thought the +2 was removed after used once. Just checked the rules and yup, it stays for the rest of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
DominionFamily wrote:
But, that would mean you are taking two (or three) Trajan tiles from the supply and putting them on spaces on your player board. If you want those two (or three) all to be 9-VP Trajan tiles, that is also fine. But, you won't actually get the 9 VP until you (later) score those Trajan tiles as described above (which will take multiple subsequent turns to achieve).

Which is exactly what I did in that game. It is not really that hard if you are doing this before the 3rd period of the game (doing that later might screw your mancala, tho, and the last 9 point Trajan tile in that game wasn't my best action, but then, again, I think I should have done it earlier). I think I lost by a 20 point margin - at least in that game I learned a bit more about the Trajan track which I used poorly in the previous 7 games.

What I did could force you into a not-so-good action or into wasting a Trajan tile if too late, but +9 points seem to be a good payoff, as far as the threads here suggest (with some people arguing that the 9 point tile is not the best Trajan tile, but I think game context and timing matters more than the threads seem to emphasize, so... I'd rather take a 9 point tile in the mid game if I'm not chasing any other tracks too much - which was the case - than, say, a 2 worker in construction or 1 worker in construction in a 4p game that had a lot of dispute in there).

I liked that play, but I still wonder if I could do something better with a 3 action Trajan in the midgame (between late 2nd period and early 3rd). I know I'd do that again in the 3rd period of the game if that happened to be the case, and I know I'd not do it in the first period of the game (I'd rather have again a [+2], 2/1 constuction worker, and the 1 point tile - if of a different type - earlier, if I had to take that action in or before the early 2nd period).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
There is nothing in the rules to suggest that a wild extra action chit would not be used this way. This is also the way it is implemented at boiteajeux.net.

I guess I can consider my question as answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.