9 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: New Clock Time Request for Juho rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mune
msg tools
Hi Juho (and everyone)!

I was hoping we could add some additional clock options for recreational games to better mimic real time play. Specifically, a 1 hour chess clock option with no additions for someone who wants to start a game in "real time" and a lower grace period option for people who want to squeeze in a game in the last week or so of league downtime (e.g. 2 day clock, 4 hours grace).

Please and thank you?? Would anyone else use this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
I could be wrong about this, but I suspect with a little programming savvy (which, IIRC, you have previously stated you possess), you can probably already do this. Note, for example, that the tourney games have a clock increment (1.5 days per round) that doesn't appear on the game-creation form. So I think the limited time options is merely a UI restriction and not a back-end limitation.

So - with the caveat that I haven't tested this - I suspect you could just look at the RPC that the create-game page makes, swap out the numbers with whatever ones you want, and then send off that RPC to create games with whatever settings you want.

A somewhat related thing that would be nice is a way to cancel a public game before it fills. That is: if I started a hypothetical 1h-per-player game at 6pm, and it didn't fill up by 9pm, it'd be nice if I could cancel it rather than risk it starting in the middle of the night when I can no longer play. AFAIK, there isn't a way to do this at current (although if I'm wrong about that, please let me know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe you can still abort a not started game on the admin page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhrun
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never had to abort a game myself, but this should be true - ?

In any case I'd love to see Resnick's request supported in the New Game GUI and see the concerns with the unknown starting time.

Therefore how about these extras:

Chess clock initial time:
- 30min
- 45min
- 1h
- 1.5h
- 1d

AND an option to schedule the game, in case it takes several hours (or days) to fill up:
- Starting date and time
- Backup starting date and time (triggers if original date passes before registration ends)
- Starting time (start up whenever that time arrives after the last participant registers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mune
msg tools
ps. congrats on the win Dhrun. I'm jelly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
There won't be any semi real-time chess clock settings. There's a couple of reasons for that. One is that the time accounting is not exact, there's an approximation involved that basically rounds it down to the next 10 minutes. That doesn't matter for games that take a couple of weeks to finish, but it would be noticeable for people who think their settings guarantee a game that finishes in three hours.

The second reason is that I just don't believe technical solutions will work for forcing games to be played to a conclusion quickly by all players. E.g. games with a 24h move deadline (not even a chess clock) had absurdly high drop rates, IIRC something like 20%. Too tight time controls will just lead to a ton of games being ruined by people dropping out.

To me semi-realtime games are a social issue, not a technical one. Public matchmaking just isn't going to work well when the basic design is so strongly geared toward async play. Instead you need to "just" find a group of people with compatible playing times and a desire for a very fast game, and arrange for a private game.

Quote:
So I think the limited time options is merely a UI restriction and not a back-end limitation.

Not quite. The values in the UI are lower/upper bounds for what will be accepted. But it can be any amount of hours in that range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the interface is so geared towards async play that real time doesn't make much sense for the platform.

Fortunately BoardGameArena just announced that they have Terra Mystica in beta and in a few weeks will hopefully available to all. It's a free site useful for playing many board games in either real time or async. They have plenty of useful tools that help reduce drop rates in real time games and have the right user base and interface to make real time gaming a pleasure. I'd encourage anyone who is looking for real time Terra Mystica games to head on over there.

And for those concerned they will get put in games with a bunch of noobs, BGA also has a nice rating system such that you can set up matches to exclude players rated too high or too low for your liking. Yes, people will have to play through several games before their rating starts to reflect their skill, but really it should be a pretty slick option for real time games of Terra Mystica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have posted an official poll to adjust the times on the DIGIDICED Terra Mystica app for live/fast games. We have been discussing changing it for awhile anyway.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1941329/official-poll-fast-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mune
msg tools
jsnell wrote:
There won't be any semi real-time chess clock settings. There's a couple of reasons for that. One is that the time accounting is not exact, there's an approximation involved that basically rounds it down to the next 10 minutes. That doesn't matter for games that take a couple of weeks to finish, but it would be noticeable for people who think their settings guarantee a game that finishes in three hours.

The second reason is that I just don't believe technical solutions will work for forcing games to be played to a conclusion quickly by all players. E.g. games with a 24h move deadline (not even a chess clock) had absurdly high drop rates, IIRC something like 20%. Too tight time controls will just lead to a ton of games being ruined by people dropping out.

To me semi-realtime games are a social issue, not a technical one. Public matchmaking just isn't going to work well when the basic design is so strongly geared toward async play. Instead you need to "just" find a group of people with compatible playing times and a desire for a very fast game, and arrange for a private game.

Quote:
So I think the limited time options is merely a UI restriction and not a back-end limitation.

Not quite. The values in the UI are lower/upper bounds for what will be accepted. But it can be any amount of hours in that range.

Thanks for the explanation Juho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.