Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Campaign Play Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Y
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So one of my favorite parts of this expansion is the campaign play but I have one small confusion. If an investigator gains either their personal reward or consequence, they keep it moving into future games in the campaign. My question is many of the rewards and consequences say “When you gain this card...”

Is starting a game with a card the same as a gaining it? Or do you only gain the ‘gain’ benefit or penalty in the game you earned the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
I go by the wording "when you gain". If you already had it then you don't gain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
msg tools
They mention that in the campaign section of the rulebook:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you gained your Reward or Consequence from your
personal story, you begin the new game with that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Haha, yes I know, I was not asking if you began games with the cards. I am asking if you begin games with the “When you gain this card...” text in cards themselves. Like many of the rewards say when you gain this card improve such and such skills.

The campaign rules state that skill improvements do not carry over between games. So my confusion is over whether when you start a new game with a reward, if you regain those skill improvements. Or in the case of Ursula, her ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
msg tools
Woops, sorry about that.

I would still say that you get those "when you gain this card". You would normally get the personal story card during Step 4 of setup, so instead, since you already finished it last game, you would get this card instead. You're gaining it during Step 4, so I interpret it as gaining the bonus.

So if you have any skills improved/impaired at the end of a game, you have to remove all of it before next game. Then during setup you'd get back that reward/consequence bonus. It does still affect the skills, but it ensures you're not carrying over all the improvements/impairments gained from other sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.