Subject: "Nobody reads footnotes"* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb

*actually, I do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's epic, right there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I don't know...I love footnotes. Rading the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles right now, and they are a footnote extravaganza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
My absolute favourite author was noted for his footnote fever. I'll never even try to read his books in electronic form because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
My absolute favourite author was noted for his footnote fever. I'll never even try to read his books in electronic form because of it.

Mark Z. Danielewski?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read every tiny font word Phil Eklund writes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Galstaff wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Mark Z. Danielewski?

Terry Pratchett.

Never head of Danielewski. A quick search reveals... ummm... very, very much not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Galstaff wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Mark Z. Danielewski?

Terry Pratchett.

Never head of Danielewski. A quick search reveals... ummm... very, very much not for me.

Pratchett often had footnotes to his footnotes.

footnotes are one reason why I don't like reading non-fiction (and Pratchett) in electronic format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
More of an endnote guy, m’self
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to add something like that to one of the ton of OCBOA cash basis non-profit financial statements I do. I know none of them are actually reading the disclosures. I don't, because well... I need a job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read footnotes, afraid of missing a tidbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read footnotes, except when they're just references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I read footnotes. Where did you find that, Wif?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to read footnotes*.

NOTES:

*That's because I read History at University, up to Master's level. It allows you to check sources, and, y'know, I'm an easily distracted History Geek. References only in my Masters footnotes(1). I like my footnotes at the bottom of the page, not at the back of the book, and certainly flipping not at the end of chapters(2). Textual footnotes are cool, but some people tend to do bloody huge ones that are often pages long(3). Of course, over use of footnotes can be - at best - a distraction(4), and - at worst - a sign of a pretentious, empty kind of Sixth Form post-modernism(5). Anyway, back to Snow and Steel: The Battle Of The Bulge, 1944-45, by Peter Caddick-Adams (London, 2014). Now there's a man who knows how to give good footnote(6).

(1)Postgraduate Research Footnotes Guidelines (University of Lancaster History Department, Lancaster, 1995), p.1.

(2)I'm looking at you, Palgrave Press.

(3)Nineteenth century European writers were a bunch of self-regarding, right up themselves tossers on this score. Marx and Kropotkin conducted whole debates in footnotes (Peter Marshall, Debates In The First International, London (2001), pp 45-8, note 3)(a).

(4)If it's worth saying, say it in the main text, you pontificating muppet.

(5)OOHH, look at me, can type in different fonts, cross some shit out and everything! I'm so Transgressive and Radical, and it'll pad out any tired, thin old shit. And maybe make French Goth undergrad chicks pay attention to me (Ed Sexby, Why The Guy That Wrote House Of Leaves Is Full Of Shit, in Collected Essays, pp. 23-48, London (forthcoming)).

(6) 146 pages of them, no less!

(a) I might have made some of these references up. Me and Jorge Luis Borges, we're tight like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Galstaff wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Mark Z. Danielewski?

Terry Pratchett.

Pratchett often had footnotes to his footnotes.

footnotes are one reason why I don't like reading non-fiction (and Pratchett) in electronic format.

I've got several Discworld on Kindle - the earlier versions needed some manipulation to get to the footnotes and back to the main page you were on, but they must have changed something, because now I can just blip over to the footnote to chuckle over it (which, of course,I have memorized as I've read these about 40 times each already) and then blip right back to the main page.

...of course, if you've got a different electronic version, may be more of a pain for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footnotes are crucial to understanding what on Earth is going on in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. There are subplots buried in epic, half-page footnotes.*

* Those footnotes are so long that when listening to the audio book, by the time the narrator has concluded with a footnote, you've no clue at all what was happening in the main action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFaust wrote:
Footnotes are crucial to understanding what on Earth is going on in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. There are subplots buried in epic, half-page footnotes.*

* Those footnotes are so long that when listening to the audio book, by the time the narrator has concluded with a footnote, you've no clue at all what was happening in the main action.

I was about to mention this book, and you beat me there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
I read footnotes. Where did you find that, Wif?

Somebody retweeted it from Atlas Obscura, which is a cool account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George MacDonald Fraser also uses footnotes and endnotes in the Flashman books, both translating foreign terms and giving more background on the real historical actors and situations Flashy is involved with.

The Flashman books are that rare breed - books with foot/endnotes that make me laugh out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.