Alex Langston
msg tools
Interesting "order of ops." question and unsure how to interpret:
-Brute has Warding Strength (lvl1 bottom side) active
-Enemy Crits me for 8 damage (i have a total of 4 health)
-I will have to lose card(s) to negate damage no matter what

Question:
If i discard to negate damage, does that get applied BEFORE or AFTER Warding Strength charge gets applied?

Can i save a consumption for later? Or does it reduce the damage by one, consume one of the charges, and THEN i Lose Card to negate the remaining damage (7)?

Based on the rules, it sounds like i would choose the "Lose Card" pathway, which would not even go through the "suffer damage (and comsume shield charge)" pathway - so i could save the charge to use on a later monster attack

Honestly just really interested in the inner workings of this AMAZING game and your thoughts!
(moreso than a true scenario-changing question meeple)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discard would come first, allowing you to avoid the use of charges on armor or charges on abilities that reduce damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
You can apply the effects in either order. If you lose a card (note: not discard) to negate the damage first, Warding Strength doesn’t trigger because it is no longer a source of damage. However, you can choose to trigger Warding Strength first (if it’s late in the scenario and you want the XP from that slot) and then lose a card to negate the remaining damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From FAQ:

Quote:
Can you lose cards to resolve damage prior to using defense abilities or items?
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Langston
msg tools
Thanks for the responses!! Makes more sense now with these extra explanations, plus the FAQ entry noted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.