Kevin Hickey
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
or is that still an issue? If not, how big of an issue is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
they printed replacement components for shades, which took about 3 months to show up after I requested them. It's basically a non-issue in my opinion though, the cards and tokens are different but only if you look really closely. The difference in LL is even smaller. I have never felt that it made any difference whatsoever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy for you, but the color difference is definitely not a "non-issue". It is frankly extreme for board game standards.
You can't tell me that you wouldn't see the difference of those tokens from a miles distance:

i recently watched this playthrough. And in the setup he claims he's going to shuffle the landscape tiles. If you look at the timeframe of this video (at 9m10s), I can definitely tell you when he is going to draw an expansion tile and when not:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are 3 types of color mismatches between latest version base box and LL box. Color mismatch in board hex tiles, mismatch in enemy tokens, and mismatch in cards.

(1) Mismatch in hex tiles. This is my opinion is the most annoying of all. It is pretty obvious if the top tile of the stack is an "advanced" LL tile or an original base game tile. The mismatch is evident on both green and brown tiles. And don't let Wizkids claim that this is in order to be able to easily separate them. You are not supposed to, and even if you wanted to, the LL tile numbers have a * identifier I think, which suffices.

I have come to the following workaround: Suppose I want to draw a new tile from the green (or brown) stack. I draw the third in the stack, putting the first and second at the bottom of the stack.

I shouldn't have to do this, but I guess I'll have to live with it. I wish Wizkids fixes the issue and offers to replace components at some point (I give this less than zero probability, but who knows? maybe this is possible in the MK universe).

The mismatch is unfortunately present also in the front of the tiles, making for a largely mismatched game map, which is a pity, yet less disruptive from a game-play perspective.

Another less reported issue with the tiles is that some of them may come slightly warped to the point where they don't nicely lock with their neighbors when you lay them on the map....you can always apply some force to try to bend them the other way, kind of straighten them out, but after a while they will come back to their original deformed state anyways. I also suspect I may end up breaking them or destroy the linen printing if I apply too much force.

(2) Mismatch in enemy tokens. This is most visible with green and red tokens (see OP photo), moderately visible with grey and brown, less so visible with purple. The only tokens that match decently are the white ones (surprise!).

The SoT enemy tokens also have their own slightly different color hues, but they are very close to the base game ones (not LL), so that is not bothersome. Also, many players do not mix SoT and non-SoT tokens anyways. Original token "size" differences seem to have been resolved in the current print of SoT boxes.

As a remedy, I apply the same procedure as above. Draw the third from the respective stack, moving the first two at the bottom. This is still a bit disruptive, since many tokens have to live on the board face down, and you may have a chance to really notice and expect the revelation of an advance LL monster versus an original one. If you really want to keep things fair, use the first token from the pile as the placeholder face down token, and when the token is to be flipped face up, replace it with the third in the stack.

For a game that goes close to $150 (expansions and sleeves), this is unacceptable, but we have to again live with it.

(3) Mismatch in back of cards. If you are super picky, and under the right light, you may sense that LL cards come in a more vivid/hot hue of the back art. I cannot see it very well, so it doesn't bother me. And inside the sleeves it is even less so obvious. This is not a main issue for me, but it may be for you.

The funny thing about cards is the Krang character card that came in a completely wrong back (not gameplay killing). Although the Krang box went through a reprint already, the card back was never fixed, as if noone from Wizkids cared to fix the issue. Or maybe they left it unfixed thinking that people will buy SoT where a correct Krang card is offered (which is also annoying for people not having Krang box to have to keep a Krang card around).

Hope this report of my personal experience helps potential buyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.