Grimslingers: The Northern Territory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Losing Items between Game Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Reed
msg tools
mbmb
Hello Grimslingers.

This question is mostly directed at Stephen Gibson as I've noticed he browses these forums, but if anyone else has an idea, feel free to chime in.

As a disclaimer, I have not played the solo/co-op mode yet and have just finished reading the rules for it in preparation for a game I will be hosting with some friends soon. This could be the cause of my misunderstanding, but I don't want to start the story without knowing the answer.

My question is about reshuffling all item cards including legendary items into the deck in between game sessions. Is there a reason for doing this other than to make clean-up easier? I thought that maybe the reason would be that keeping the items would make the characters too powerful in the long run, but if that were the case, it seems somewhat arbitrary to lose all of the items when a session ends rather than between each chapter.

Granted, the rule book states that usually a session should comprise a single chapter, but goes on to say specifically that you do keep your items between chapters as long as you don't end the session.

At the end of the day, I suppose I am asking whether or not keeping items between sessions/chapters would detrimentally affect balance by either making the grimslingers too overpowered or increasing the chances of finding more rare item cards.

Thanks for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
berzerk73 wrote:
Hello Grimslingers.

This question is mostly directed at Stephen Gibson as I've noticed he browses these forums, but if anyone else has an idea, feel free to chime in.

As a disclaimer, I have not played the solo/co-op mode yet and have just finished reading the rules for it in preparation for a game I will be hosting with some friends soon. This could be the cause of my misunderstanding, but I don't want to start the story without knowing the answer.

My question is about reshuffling all item cards including legendary items into the deck in between game sessions. Is there a reason for doing this other than to make clean-up easier? I thought that maybe the reason would be that keeping the items would make the characters too powerful in the long run, but if that were the case, it seems somewhat arbitrary to lose all of the items when a session ends rather than between each chapter.

Granted, the rule book states that usually a session should comprise a single chapter, but goes on to say specifically that you do keep your items between chapters as long as you don't end the session.

At the end of the day, I suppose I am asking whether or not keeping items between sessions/chapters would detrimentally affect balance by either making the grimslingers too overpowered or increasing the chances of finding more rare item cards.

Thanks for any input.

The rule partially exists to make clean up easier, partially because keeping track of ALL the items you acquire between sessions is tedious.

It also helps encourage you to explore for chests and visit landmarks each session for items.

Having said all that, it does not break the game at all if you keep your items between sessions. You'll be fairly hampered by your stash/hand limit for awhile anyway, so you really won't be keeping that many items.

Thematically speaking, you should be keeping your items between sessions. There is no thematic reason for ditching them in the story, as the story is one continous flowing event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazio Bettin
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm benefitting from this answer too, but it brings up another question.
Where do all cards go when they are over your hand/stash/passive space limit?
I'm assuming that items go in their discard pile, and spells and skills go back to the box. Do you choose which ones? And when do you choose? At the start of each session? Or during cleanup? Am I required to increase my hand/stash/passive before I buy, say, new spells with my progress points? Or can I just buy and choose what to keep in my hand and stash from all my available cards at the beginning of a session?
Maybe this question is a bit moot or it's explained in a section of the rulebook I missed but... well I hope I'm not annoying with the flurry of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Suna wrote:
I'm benefitting from this answer too, but it brings up another question.
Where do all cards go when they are over your hand/stash/passive space limit?
I'm assuming that items go in their discard pile, and spells and skills go back to the box. Do you choose which ones? And when do you choose? At the start of each session? Or during cleanup? Am I required to increase my hand/stash/passive before I buy, say, new spells with my progress points? Or can I just buy and choose what to keep in my hand and stash from all my available cards at the beginning of a session?
Maybe this question is a bit moot or it's explained in a section of the rulebook I missed but... well I hope I'm not annoying with the flurry of questions.

1. Where do all cards go when they are over your hand/stash/passive space limit?

Answer: Depends on the card. If you acquire new items and you are out of space, you can get rid of an item you already own, discarding it and acquiring the new item. Basically you can organize your hand/stash and figure out what items to keep and which to get rid of, whenever you draw new items over your limits.

For spells and skills you newly acquire (which would be while you're on a landmark), if you don't have room in your stash/passive space/hand, they will go directly to your deactivate pile.

2. Am I required to increase my hand/stash/passive before I buy, say, new spells with my progress points? Or can I just buy and choose what to keep in my hand and stash from all my available cards at the beginning of a session?

Answer: At the start of a session, you will choose where the cards you own go (stash, passive space, hand, or deactivate pile). Like I said earlier, if you acquire new spells/skills during a session and you're over your hand limit, you can put it directly into your deactivate pile. But generally, when you're on a landmark you have a rest phase and can freely organize your hand/stash as you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazio Bettin
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:

1. Where do all cards go when they are over your hand/stash/passive space limit?

Answer: Depends on the card. If you acquire new items and you are out of space, you can get rid of an item you already own, discarding it and acquiring the new item. Basically you can organize your hand/stash and figure out what items to keep and which to get rid of, whenever you draw new items over your limits.

For spells and skills you newly acquire (which would be while you're on a landmark), if you don't have room in your stash/passive space/hand, they will go directly to your deactivate pile.

2. Am I required to increase my hand/stash/passive before I buy, say, new spells with my progress points? Or can I just buy and choose what to keep in my hand and stash from all my available cards at the beginning of a session?

Answer: At the start of a session, you will choose where the cards you own go (stash, passive space, hand, or deactivate pile). Like I said earlier, if you acquire new spells/skills during a session and you're over your hand limit, you can put it directly into your deactivate pile. But generally, when you're on a landmark you have a rest phase and can freely organize your hand/stash as you see fit.

Thank you so much!! That clarifies a lot! Also thank you for being so fast (and patient!) with your explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is great help for me too.

I remember reading about losing items between sessions and having it feel weird and "clunky" and even stupid. However, having played through Chapter 1 now and clearing the table to play something with my gf, it dawned on me how much upkeep and setting up it is to actually keep your items and I totally understand the idea better. Having said that, I did keep my items for now, but it no longer feels like it's the obvious thing to do. Also cleanup between sessions has a lot of moving parts to track if kept, so having a "fresh start" (except for your achievements/progress ofc) makes total sense to me now

I've played hundreds of board games but still it took me until the 3rd day of owning to game to actually start understanding some of it and actually play a turn! And this isn't really your fault Stephen as you just explained, so don't take this personally. You've designed a lovely game and it's obvious that you love it yourself from all the hard work you do here patching the bad rulebook!

And finally Stephen, I just have to respect you a lot!
You're here answering all our questions and clearing things up, making it possible to enjoy this cool world.
It's just so awesome! I am sure to look at everything that you design in the future, since your passion for this is clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TimoNator85 wrote:
This thread is great help for me too.

I remember reading about losing items between sessions and having it feel weird and "clunky" and even stupid. However, having played through Chapter 1 now and clearing the table to play something with my gf, it dawned on me how much upkeep and setting up it is to actually keep your items and I totally understand the idea better. Having said that, I did keep my items for now, but it no longer feels like it's the obvious thing to do. Also cleanup between sessions has a lot of moving parts to track if kept, so having a "fresh start" (except for your achievements/progress ofc) makes total sense to me now

I've played hundreds of board games but still it took me until the 3rd day of owning to game to actually start understanding some of it and actually play a turn! And this isn't really your fault Stephen as you just explained, so don't take this personally. You've designed a lovely game and it's obvious that you love it yourself from all the hard work you do here patching the bad rulebook!

And finally Stephen, I just have to respect you a lot!
You're here answering all our questions and clearing things up, making it possible to enjoy this cool world.
It's just so awesome! I am sure to look at everything that you design in the future, since your passion for this is clear to me.

Well thank you, I really appreciate your understanding and kind words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Reed
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Stephen,
Thanks a ton for your quick response. This will help my session run a lot smoother.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Dean
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just replayed the Valley of Death campaign and at the end of the first chapter when I ended the session I was a bit bummed about dropping the items I had picked up. However, before starting Chapter 2, I did an epic free roam in the Valley and ended up with several legendary items that, had I kept them, would have left the rest of the game as very little of a challenge (it turns out La Fleur Noir with the vampyre passives, rejuvenate, fete, a vampiric greatsword, and a llama hat is just about immortal...). I found that playing through multiple sessions really highlighted the growth of your character through PP acquisition, and let each one start off feeling fresh and focused, rather than going through the game relying on a few items you got lucky to get early.

That being said, if you're up for the extra bookkeeping, houseruling to allow a character to keep n number of items between sessions wouldn't be too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thantastic wrote:
I just replayed the Valley of Death campaign and at the end of the first chapter when I ended the session I was a bit bummed about dropping the items I had picked up. However, before starting Chapter 2, I did an epic free roam in the Valley and ended up with several legendary items that, had I kept them, would have left the rest of the game as very little of a challenge (it turns out La Fleur Noir with the vampyre passives, rejuvenate, fete, a vampiric greatsword, and a llama hat is just about immortal...). I found that playing through multiple sessions really highlighted the growth of your character through PP acquisition, and let each one start off feeling fresh and focused, rather than going through the game relying on a few items you got lucky to get early.

That being said, if you're up for the extra bookkeeping, houseruling to allow a character to keep n number of items between sessions wouldn't be too hard.

Hey, great to hear! Glad you feel the progress/achievement tracker system feels rewarding.

Thematically, it IS frustrating to give up your items. It definitely helps the gameplay loop each session though, as you've mentioned.

I think in order to accommodate keeping items, other aspects of the game would need to be altered/improved. I just feel like you'd run out of desirable rewards/incentives for activities too quickly. Your desire to explore for chests would be diminished/non-existent.

I know you had suggested only keeping *some* items, but I feel it won't feel right thematically until you have persistent loot session-to-session that you only get rid of if you want to make room for something else.

I've actually been working on a spin-off/sequel to Grimslingers for over a year now that has far more character progression and an inventory system that is persistent. I hate "bookkeeping", I find it tedious and unfun, so I'm utilizing an app to manage your character and loot.

Anyway, that's my ramble for today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.