John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixie is the game that got me back into face to face gaming. I had been an ASL addict and burn out and switched to PC games for my war gaming fix with the Close Combat series of games. I accidently saw Dixie Bull Run in a game store and bought a deck...and then two more and so on. It was about this time I hooked up with a gaming club in my new city. Before long several players were collecting and swapping. The board gamers and the miniature guys were playing. In essence, a player deals himself a force from his own deck and deploys the cards face down in three positions. Cards are revealed when they fire, take a hit or the enemy moves across the center line. One player wins when he occupies or can enfilade two enemy starting positions. At first glance it appears to be a die fest but those who play that way against someone who understands the nuances usually gets a bloody nose, in a figurative sense. The Bull edition and the Napoleonic version Eagles are my favorites but I can carry all four complete games in one old brief case plus a combined partial set of duplicates we referred to as The Bull-shi-ttysburg deck for creating random battles. Another partial set of dups is used to generate a semi-random OOB for our Battle Cry games.

Dixie: Gettysburg has a couple issues for me, though. It is a 1 card = a brigade level game like Eagles (instead of a regiment/battery) but uses a slightly modified version of the Bull Run and Shiloh rules. As a consequence, it doesn't look or feel like a large battle is evolving. My small group that still plays this occasionally, merged the Eagles card stacking and target selection system into it and now it feels right as the the US and CS armies meet and the battle grows into the proper proportions. I collected complete sets the hard way by buying single decks and swapping cards all over the country because at that time complete sets were not being offered by Columbia. Since there are less players now, I'd buy a complete set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
You say cards are revealed when they take a hit; do they have to be revealed before you can target them for artillery fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are revealed after they are hit. This means you choose one of the face down cards (or the face up ones) and it is revealed when it takes a hit.

In this game, hits must be divided up evenly, so if you take 3 hits and have 3 face down units without hits (and no other units without hits), then all of those units take a hit and are all revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.