Subject: The Fates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Crowd Goes Wild!: Presumably 'in their wake' means in the space directly behind them. Are there any consequences if this space is occupied by a chariot?

Crowd Has Bloodlust: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities? Or to 'Mars Inspires' Whip attacks?

Diana's Hunt: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities?

Jupiter Lends His Bolts: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities? How is 'intervening' determined?

Mars Inspires: Should Charioteer Special Abilities be ignored when resolving the extra Whip attacks?

Minerva's Wisdom: Does Vitellius get to roll twice to recover his Tactic?

Mors Takes a Holiday: There could be a chain of events ending in the death of somebody. Are we saying that the initial Ram Attack or Swerve or whatever doesn't occur, or are we saying that the chariot survives with at least 1 Endurance and a maximum of 1 Wound and 5 Rattled?

Neptune Is Vexed: This is a conventional Swerve that costs no movement points, right?

Saturn's Intrigue: If two Fate cards are drawn, some of these are contradictory (e.g. Lose Endurance, No Endurance loss); how is this resolved? Should the 'Saturn's Intrigue' card be withheld from any reshuffle occurring during the draw in case it becomes one of the two cards drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Young
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here we go! laugh (now where did I put all that stuff...)

beresford wrote:
And the Crowd Goes Wild!: Presumably 'in their wake' means in the space directly behind them. Are there any consequences if this space is occupied by a chariot?

The card reads "This round, during their respective Driving steps, the first three chariots each leave one Debris obstacle token in their wake at their move's start space as they drive away" So, it is placed in the space you started after you move off it. They don't have to worry about it, but those behind you do.

beresford wrote:
Crowd Has Bloodlust: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities? Or to 'Mars Inspires' Whip attacks?

"This round, treat all Action card results of No Effect as Rattled."

Acacius: His counterattack with his whip uses 2 Action Cards, so yes!

Terrorux: No, his out of the gate intimidation only grants those poor victims 1-3 Rattled. And his Terror Attack does not use the Action Cards, so no.

"Mars Inspires" is a different Fate event altogether, so they work differently, and you will only have one event in play. However, in the very rare event you have two Fate cards in play, (In case I forgot any cards that make you play more than one Event, or a future expansion), it sez "During an attack, after revealing each No Effect result, the other chariot involved must immediately draw 1 Action card and suffer its Whip result." I'd rule in this case that Since all the NE results are now Rattled, that this would not apply. Good question though, had to think hard on that one!

beresford wrote:
Diana's Hunt: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities?

Diana's Hunt "This round, all Whip Attacks cause the target chariot to draw 1 additional Action card."

Acacius: Yes, his counterattack with his whip gets 3 Action cards, instead of two then.

Terrorux: He can do a Whip attack with the bonus like everyone else, but his Terror Attack does not draw Action cards, so again, no.

beresford wrote:
Jupiter Lends His Bolts: Does this apply to the Acacius or Terrorux abilities? How is 'intervening' determined?

Jupe's card reads "This round, Whip Attacks may be made up to 2 spaces away on either side of that chariot, but not through an intervening obstacle."

Acacius: Yes, as his counterattack needs to be in Whip Attack zone, but since they are all now Range 2, sure.

Terrorux: The Terror Attack is not really a Whip attack, even though it uses the Whip Attack zone for targeting, so no, he doesn't get a Range 2 Terror Attack.

beresford wrote:
Mars Inspires: Should Charioteer Special Abilities be ignored when resolving the extra Whip attacks?

Card reads "This round, all Attacks are free (i.e., cost 0 Tactics). During an attack, after revealing each No Effect result, the other chariot involved must immediately draw 1 Action card and suffer its Whip result.".
So the initial attack is free. The other counter attack from a NE is just a single Action Card, but if your Charioteer has some ability that either affects whip attacks or something, like Argutus, sure.

beresford wrote:
Minerva's Wisdom: Does Vitellius get to roll twice to recover his Tactic?

Yes, but only for the first AP he spends during that turn. He would roll for his skill first, and then the Event if he blows his roll.

beresford wrote:
Mors Takes a Holiday: There could be a chain of events ending in the death of somebody. Are we saying that the initial Ram Attack or Swerve or whatever doesn't occur, or are we saying that the chariot survives with at least 1 Endurance and a maximum of 1 Wound and 5 Rattled?

Card reads: "This round, anything that would otherwise eliminate a charioteer does not occur. Treat any such morbid events as No Effect."

Yes, some clarification is in order. I'm thinking all the bad stuff happens, like a ram or crash or swerve, only any Action card result that would cause you to lose your last Endurance, Wound, or a 6th Rattled is simply a No Effect. Death his throwing you a bone this turn. Smile back at him.

beresford wrote:
Neptune Is Vexed: This is a conventional Swerve that costs no movement points, right?

Yes, the swerve is just a free swerve, then you can start your movement as normal. Just don't be up against the wall when this event happens!

beresford wrote:
Saturn's Intrigue: If two Fate cards are drawn, some of these are contradictory (e.g. Lose Endurance, No Endurance loss); how is this resolved? Should the 'Saturn's Intrigue' card be withheld from any reshuffle occurring during the draw in case it becomes one of the two cards drawn?

Card Sez: "The first player immediately makes two more Fate rolls and applies either."

The First player may only apply one of the Fate cards.

I say if in that rare, rare occasion, add it back for the reshuffle, it might just be resources in the two rerolls anyway.

Wow! Thanks for the insightful questions, and I hope you enjoy Chariots of Rome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Sellmer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Sean3Dguy wrote:

beresford wrote:

Card Sez: "The first player immediately makes two more Fate rolls and applies either."

I say if in that rare, rare occasion, add it back for the reshuffle, it might just be resources in the two rerolls anyway.

Saturn's Intrigue says to make two more Fate rolls and apply each, not either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sean for taking the time to go over these.

If I might just take you back to 'Jupiter Lends His Bolts', you haven't defined what 'intervening' is. For example two chariots are neck and neck on the straight with one inbetween lagging slightly behind. Is the center chariot 'intervening'?

Regarding Curt's comment, if the card differs from your notes this would be unfortunate, as correcting yellow text on a purple background is tricky.

May I also point out that I added a reply to the 'Wreckage' thread as your answer didn't really say what a chariot hit by wreckage should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Young
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sellmerfud wrote:
Sean3Dguy wrote:

beresford wrote:

Saturn's Intrigue says to make two more Fate rolls and apply each, not either.

It DOES say each on the card, huh? I was looking at an older database, apparently not updated. In light of this new info I would say withhold it from a shuffle if needed. Both new Fate cards would take effect, so they could have contradictory info like "All attacks +1" and "No Attacks this round", which would override the bonus, since no attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.