J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was making cards for the Upgrade Bonus Rolls of all classes, because our Outlaw always forgets to pin his Wanted Posters in Other Worlds.

I'm playing a Preacher. I don't think i will ever waste a level up bonus to get rid of any Injury/Madness/Mutation unless it is permanent and can't be removed by anything else. I also have that derelict ship tool too, that can instantly remove one. I would rather go to the doc/church to get rid of it. But that isn't my problem. I just wonder if anyone is willing to spend a level up bonus to get rid of one of his Injury/Madness/Mutation.

I just got an Child of the Void Mutation which i don't want to remove. I was wondering how to act, if i roll a 12 for a level up.
The text sounds like I can only chose to get +1 Faith if i have no muatation/injury/madness at all. I wonder why it is written in that way?
If i got the Upgrade Bonus of 12 before I got that mutation i would get +1 Faith and after the mutation i would get nothing at all on the level up.

Do i miss something? Should the time line really have such a harsh impact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, it sounds correct that a preacher has to remain pure to receive a stronger faith.
Corruption and keeping should indeed affect the strength of one's faith.

Since you can choose when to perform your levelup you can do whats needed to be pure and avoid losing the possible roll of 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't be intended that you might get nothing at all for rolling a 12 because you want to keep your luckily rolled injury/sanity/mutation
I'm not sure how the injury is called where you get +permanent health (Impressive Scar?). The same problem here.
You have the choice to remove the scar and get -health or get nothing. The same with sanity (not sure if it is +permanent sanity, but i guess it is).

If you first roll the 12 and later get any injury/sanity/mutation it's not a problem. You don't have to remove your +1 faith then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im afraid that that is exactly the intent.
The levelup upgrade roll signifies that you never know what you get and if it happens at the wrong moment that is just bad luck, but is part of the roleplaying side of the game.

How your character evolves is never predetermined and the game is construed such that at times you may want to retire an existing hero to start over if its too far gone/you feel you no longer can maximize its potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trikels wrote:
I was making cards for the Upgrade Bonus Rolls of all classes, because our Outlaw always forgets to pin his Wanted Posters in Other Worlds.

Could I get a copy of those to add to my collection of cards? I've already made cards for the class skill trees, so these would be a natural complement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Preacher's upgrade chart. Is that the only benefit provided from the '12' result or is there some other benefit like bonus wounds, sanity, or Grit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can chose to remove a injury, madness or mutation or gain +1 faith if you have none. Nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it to be intentional. I have some issues with the 2/12 rolls on all of the core set classes but this is one of the least offensive (if a bit feast/famine). +Faith is way, way too good to be given out randomly for no cost. While I don't necessarily agree with the method by which that trade is made in this case, the intent is clearly "if you want a chance at this bonus, don't level up unless your Preacher is free of Mutations/Madnesses/Injuries."

Out of curiosity, why do you want to keep Child of the Void? You can't use the Void Child Pistol, cause Preacher's can't use Guns (that aren't 2-Handed). Is it just that it's cool, or that you want to keep the stat bonuses?

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply missed the fact, that i can't use the Void Child Pistol (which i do at the moment). Then it makes no sense to keep the mutation and my problem is solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.