Subject: few issue with the gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I love the game and can’t stop thinking about it, but had a few issue, I look for tips or even house rules, maybe those not even global problems but comes from out metagame.
The game runs very smooth and tense from 39 to 41 and my main problem comes with Barbarossa, but the still happens when the Russian attacks back.
Its very hard to attack and break through, if u don’t have the Barbarossa card there is only 1 territory where u can attack with 3 units, Lvov. In Brest u have 2 units against 3, the other u can only have 1. And by that time the Russians have every factory and every units build up, so its easily 3 units in every border territory. With the border limit and stacking limits there is no way to concentrate forces, and don’t have enough combat round to have an advantage on the better units, even if Russian units mostly miss, still need luck to clear the area and able to blitz on.
Either would need less Russian units, wilder front, bigger border limit for Vilna and Bessarabia, or enable the attackers to outnumber the defenders with bigger stack limit only for the combat rounds.
My other concerns are lot smaller and don’t affect gameplay.
First the command points system, its very good way to select the battles, but some actions are just never as effective as others, for the same 1 command I can move 12 health of units with a leader and a plane or send 1 medium bomber for a bombing round, a few subs or a 2 pimp DAK unit over a border limit 1 against a bigger unit. This leads to that I never go to bombing never use my subs and never use all those cool but ineffective units like the DAK or the Australians.
Maybe if strategic warfare wouldn’t need command points, or command points would have needed to move armies (more then 1 block) then the other theaters of the war would see more action.
My last point is the allies has too much money too soon after the US joins the war, they build every block, but cant use them, sometimes I have problem where to park all those planes there is 12 planes where most round only able to use 1 or 2. Its leads to I don’t care with my losses anymore because I cant spend on anything anyway, maybe less production would lead more decision and exciting battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post and continued interest in the game. I agree with your observations and also feel the U-boat and strat bombing campaigns tend to see little action.

You could try a house rule that each command allows the movement of four blocks in any combination you like. For example you could use one command to send a bomber on a raid, move a naval unit, and make a land attack with two ground units. This would replace unlimited movement and allow as many battles as you wish only limited by the number of units you can move. A three command card would allow 12 units to move. A unit that does not move to combat can be moved strategically. I would allow Leaders to move for free and can only engage in combat if accompanying regular land units.

As to the production issue with the West, I don't have an easy answer. Perhaps allowing one fighter and one bomber class air unit per space would get more air in the fight, and it would help the Germans break up the Soviet upfront defense. And using the above change in commands might get more Allied units into the fight, burning up their production.

Of course these changes may make the Germans more brittle and harder to play and then require an adjustment to their production. I think they already need a little help there. You could make infantry class units cost -1 pp if steps are built in home areas. This would mean the 1 pp units are free. If you made this adjustment though, I think the Soviets should get the same bonus.

Anyway, feel free to play around with adjustments and let me know how they work.

Thanks again for playing.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this modification with the commands, will try out next time. I also wants to limit the Russian factory production only 1/year and 1/year in the ural too, until they are in war, then they can reach the same force as you made them in the Barbarossa scenario you published in 2016.
Have u ever thinked about make the same speed units roll at once on both side? Its only problem with the small units like DAK, but sometimes they die before even roll a single die on attacking, the defenders has a first strike to make the game faster and simpler, or its really needed for balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thommo wrote:
First of all I love the game and can’t stop thinking about it, but had a few issue, I look for tips or even house rules, maybe those not even global problems but comes from out metagame.
The game runs very smooth and tense from 39 to 41 and my main problem comes with Barbarossa, but the still happens when the Russian attacks back.
Its very hard to attack and break through, if u don’t have the Barbarossa card there is only 1 territory where u can attack with 3 units, Lvov. In Brest u have 2 units against 3, the other u can only have 1. And by that time the Russians have every factory and every units build up, so its easily 3 units in every border territory. With the border limit and stacking limits there is no way to concentrate forces, and don’t have enough combat round to have an advantage on the better units, even if Russian units mostly miss, still need luck to clear the area and able to blitz on.
Either would need less Russian units, wilder front, bigger border limit for Vilna and Bessarabia, or enable the attackers to outnumber the defenders with bigger stack limit only for the combat rounds.
My other concerns are lot smaller and don’t affect gameplay.
First the command points system, its very good way to select the battles, but some actions are just never as effective as others, for the same 1 command I can move 12 health of units with a leader and a plane or send 1 medium bomber for a bombing round, a few subs or a 2 pimp DAK unit over a border limit 1 against a bigger unit. This leads to that I never go to bombing never use my subs and never use all those cool but ineffective units like the DAK or the Australians.
Maybe if strategic warfare wouldn’t need command points, or command points would have needed to move armies (more then 1 block) then the other theaters of the war would see more action.
My last point is the allies has too much money too soon after the US joins the war, they build every block, but cant use them, sometimes I have problem where to park all those planes there is 12 planes where most round only able to use 1 or 2. Its leads to I don’t care with my losses anymore because I cant spend on anything anyway, maybe less production would lead more decision and exciting battles.

Agree with most observations, but I do believe Besarrabia can be attacked by more units; t is bordered by several Romanian territories, ne Hungarian etc. Even without the Barbarossa card you can move in one unit from each of the aforementioned territories into Besarrabia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bessarabia is part of Romania, only attack-able from Bukarest
We actually removed the forest between East-Prussia and Brest, so at least always 2 territory you can attack even without the barbarossa card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thommo wrote:
Bessarabia is part of Romania, only attack-able from Bukarest
We actually removed the forest between East-Prussia and Brest, so at least always 2 territory you can attack even without the barbarossa card.

Also after a successful attack against Lvov and then blitzing into Besarrabia (in fact, reinforcing the pending battle there)after already having moved in one or two land units from Bucharest (depending on whether or not you [can] use the +1 border/retreat that the Barbarossa card offers along with an air unit). I've actually managed to take Besarrabia like that.

Having said that, I was initially getting Lvov confused with Besarrabia. Lvov is attackable from many more areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.