Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About the item counting in each room:

While i find the whole design of the game fantastic, the item counting in each room seems to be unnecessary clunky :
1/ you need to rotate the tile and so needs to raise all the minis that were laid on it before. That is useless handling.
2/ the nice drawings of the tiles are masked with unneccessary icons for the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4

My solution ?

The cheapest one: When the exploration token is revealed, just lay as much as small wooden cubes as needed, each wooden cube being a potential item. Then no more need to handle the tile, no more numbered icons and so a purer graphic on the tile. This will also enhance lightly the pace of the game.

My not so cheap solution: replace the wooden cubes with some plastic minis looking like crates

I just hope the game designers will look at my proposal, and that isn't too late to change this.

About the alternate objectives:

Some playtesters complain about the fact players having too difficult objectives can swap their objectives for alternate ones for only one action. A quick fix, that thematically appeal to me, is to have the obligation to be alone in the Communications Room tile to be able swap their initial objective for their new alternate one. In that case, the alternate objective "Send the signal and Escape using an escape pod" is simply not used in the game. And yes in a 5 players, someone won't be able to change his mind
Thematically the change of objective comes down to go to the Communications Room to ask for new orders... While the obligation to be alone for that means you shouldn't share you little secrets with everybody...
If this rule tweak appears to be too harsh, may be the swapping could be allowed in a second room like the Lab or the command room...

If the ideas are retained, just quote me in the rulebook as game design helper

Bernard Gourion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernard,
These are actually pretty good ideas, IMHO...

Rotating the tiles was innovative, but cubes would work just as well and would not require adjustments...
To stay on the cheap side (if you go the homemade route)...you can still use wooden cubes, and you could paint them to look like crates.

RE the switching of objectives:
1.Your idea has merit, and does make some thematic sense. Perhaps a player could be allowed to switch objectives "if alone in any room tile with a working computer." I'd tend to keep all secondaries in play, and if you happen to use the Com Room, then you are simply much more efficient in your tasks, but need to take a second signal action to confirm that you are doing what they want...

2. Another thematic way of looking at switching objectives, though, is that the character decides on his(her) own self that conditions have changed and they decide on-the-fly that something else needs to be done to satisfy their employer. If viewed that way, they would not necessarily need to ask permission.

3. I am not completely convinced the secondary objectives are significantly easier than primaries, but I understand the concerns. In a way, when you switch objectives later in the game, you are potentially making it harder on yourself in that you now have less time to accomplish something different that you were initially planning to do; of course, the longer you wait, the more difficult the secondary would become. If, indeed, secondaries ARE significantly easier to accomplish, I've often suggested that once you switch objectives that player must play with 1 less action card, simulating the uncertainty of what their decision was and if their employer would accept the change... (If there is a case for secondaries being easier, having less cards to play would be a mitigating factor.)

Just some stray thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for this idea.
In fact, if AR dont go down this route, I might actually purchase some 3D crates. Of course, you may need quite a lot of them..

Something like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122729638520?chn=ps&adgroupid=13585...

Are futuristic crates, or...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162886832967?chn=ps&adgroupid=13585...

For less futuristic ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one could purchase square wooden dowels of 1x1 inch by 36 inches (2.5x91 cm) and section them off at about 1 to 1.5 inches in length. After sanding and painting, you'd have around 24 to 36 nice big, chunky crates for the (US) price of $1.00 to $3.50...minus any fingers sawed off...

If you have a router, you could really go to work!

(Personally, crates of that size would be way too large for Nemesis...4 of those would take up most of the tile..., but you could probably find square dowels at a quarter that diameter...and end up with 100 of them for the same price...or just buy game cubes and bling them up...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you leave the minis on the tile when you rotate it? I personally would prefer not to clutter the board with additional pieces. If they did go this route, I'd be more inclined to use a D6 rather than individual tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
1/ you need to rotate the tile and so needs to raise all the minis that were laid on it before. That is useless handling.

Uh, what? Have you ever tried to rotate a tile WITHOUT raising anything? Yup, it works.

bengougou75 wrote:
2/the nice drawings of the tiles are masked with unneccessary icons for the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4

How many times will you admire beautiful tiles? Once? Twice? I think you should just get that pretty artbook and your problem will be solved.

bengougou75 wrote:
token is revealed, just lay as much as small wooden cubes as needed, each wooden cube being a potential item.

Cubes take space too. They will randomly cover illustrations. Most important - additional components cost additional money. We don't really need more cubes, we already have shitload of tokens and markers. Don.t make complex something that works and should stay simple as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does AR have a section where you can e-mail feedback and ideas? Perhaps if they get a lot of people asking for the same idea they'll consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Does AR have a section where you can e-mail feedback and ideas? Perhaps if they get a lot of people asking for the same idea they'll consider it.

On KS, they have a FAQ with a title something like "How can I send you suggestions?" or something like that...then you get a screen that says "Tell us your ideas..."
I think it was mostly for when they were creating Aftermath with backers, but I assume it is still being viewed??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab C
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first moment I read your idea I thought it was cool, but the more I think about it and the more I think it's unnecessary and not practical.

We don't need more pieces on this board, it's not terraforming mars. There's already very few space for a character+an adult intruder on a room tile. Now imagine that with more characters, a bigger alien, the room token, the damages cubes and the fire/repair token. It will be a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the search mechanic, cubes just would make it far too fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.