Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Grimslingers: The Northern Territory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hand size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What really counts for hand size? I’m just starting my tall tale and immediately got many items and only upgraded my hand size once in the beginning.

Do discarded spells count for hand size?

My current situation is this :

4 spells in hand
3 cards in stash and
2 discarded spells from a duel.

My hand size is 6 and stash size is 3. I an told by a story event that I can pick an item from the item deck. What do I do?

Will I go over hand limit?

And do deactivated cards count for any limit?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand size is literally what is IN your hand.

When you draw an item as a reward, you can organize your hand/stash. So, maybe in your hand or stash you have an item you like less than the one you got, so you can discard that one (to the general item discard deck) and keep the new card.

If you acquire skills/spells via the progress tracker, and you're at your max stash/hand limit already, they will go into your deactivate pile.

Your deactivated card pile has no limit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
To piggyback on this: if i draw 2 items and i really want them in my hand, and my stash is full, where would i put spells in my hand to make room? Discard or deactivate? I know skills are deactivated and items go to item discard.

I also have the hexilion blade in my hand. Can i put that in my deactivate pile to make room since thats where it goes upon use?

Edit: After looking thru rules, are any of these even an option???? Maybe im not allowed to just get rid of cards to make room??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
To piggyback on this: if i draw 2 items and i really want them in my hand, and my stash is full, where would i put spells in my hand to make room? Discard or deactivate? I know skills are deactivated and items go to item discard.

I also have the hexilion blade in my hand. Can i put that in my deactivate pile to make room since thats where it goes upon use?

Edit: After looking thru rules, are any of these even an option???? Maybe im not allowed to just get rid of cards to make room??


If you draw a new item and your hand/stash is already full, you can discard items to make room. You can't deactivate/discard spells to make room.

Just think of it literally, like your bag is full and you're carrying a bunch of stuff in your hands, what do you toss away and pick up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Ya once i started re reading the rules thats what i pretty much thought. Definitely makes sense. Thanks Stephen. Reliable as always
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
What if all I have are skills and spells, and I acquire more items than I can hold? Since I can't discard or deactivate skills and spells, I have nowhere to put the items. For example, at the beginning of the game, you have six elemental spells, a hand size of five and a stash of three. Say I have two signature spells and a skill, so that's nine cards. I guess you will have to put something in the deactivated pile. However, at the beginning of the story you draw two supplies, so where do they go? You then resolve an event node and can draw another item. So you now potentially have twelve cards but only space for eight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
What if all I have are skills and spells, and I acquire more items than I can hold? Since I can't discard or deactivate skills and spells, I have nowhere to put the items. For example, at the beginning of the game, you have six elemental spells, a hand size of five and a stash of three. Say I have two signature spells and a skill, so that's nine cards. I guess you will have to put something in the deactivated pile. However, at the beginning of the story you draw two supplies, so where do they go? You then resolve an event node and can draw another item. So you now potentially have twelve cards but only space for eight.


Right, always good to remember that the original core game's campaign booklet was written for third edition rules. If you decide to fill your hand and stash with spells and skills, you won't be able to acquire new items without deactivating some skills/spells.

I understand it's confusing. To make things easier, I would just house rule that whenever you draw items over your hand/stash limit, you can freely deactivate skills/spells at the same time to make room.

Another option to make things cleaner is to just play the core game without the expansion. Personally, I think it'd be more interesting WITH the expansion, in spite of the hiccups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Sorry Stephen, I'm just confusing myself. So I was playing through it a bit the other night. I started at Valley Haven, so I read "Part One - Ready for Everything..." Do I not take the two supplies?

I then resolve an event node, so I read "Part Two - Memento". Should I ignore the actions there and not search for an item?

I then go to the Lone Titan (King of Spades). Do I read the story in the Valley of Death booklet and then do the actions as per the Area Booklet?

Sorry for being dim...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
Sorry Stephen, I'm just confusing myself. So I was playing through it a bit the other night. I started at Valley Haven, so I read "Part One - Ready for Everything..." Do I not take the two supplies?

I then resolve an event node, so I read "Part Two - Memento". Should I ignore the actions there and not search for an item?

I then go to the Lone Titan (King of Spades). Do I read the story in the Valley of Death booklet and then do the actions as per the Area Booklet?

Sorry for being dim...


Hey, no worries.

1. If you have room in your hand/stash, take the supplies. If you don't have room, and want the supplies, put two spells and/or skills into the deactivate pile (giving you room for two items) and then pick up the supplies.

Note: Just as a way of suggestion, when you are assigning your progress points and building your character, I'd recommend focusing on HP/EP, and hand/stash size at first. It's always an option to redistribute your progress points on a fresh progress tracker sheet.

2. Yes take the item, but follow the instructions I listed in the previous point.

3. You read the story, and if you want to, you can resolve the landmark actions afterward. Thematically it makes more sense if you don't, but it's up to you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.