This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploration ending rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
Hello there

I played my first solo game and I have a few questions.

Here's one : if I stick to the journal and to the FAQ, one can only end scavenging if the Unknown deck is depleted *or* by not resolving a card that shows "Or end exploration" at the bottom.

Right ?

Then, what do I do with this ?

Awaken Realms wrote:

celdom wrote:
I'm a little bit confused about how to end scavenging. Is it a push-your-luck system where you can stop drawing cards at any time? Do you have to empty the deck? I've seen a couple of cards which say 'end scavenging now'. Is that the only time you can end the phase early?

You can end it any time, or when all your exploration cards will run out

Hope this will help!

(Official rules thread! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patmanreturns wrote:
Hello there

I played my first solo game and I have a few questions.

Here's one : if I stick to the journal and to the FAQ, one can only end scavenging if the Unknown deck is depleted *or* by not resolving a card that shows "Or end exploration" at the bottom.

Right ?

Then, what do I do with this ?

Awaken Realms wrote:

celdom wrote:
I'm a little bit confused about how to end scavenging. Is it a push-your-luck system where you can stop drawing cards at any time? Do you have to empty the deck? I've seen a couple of cards which say 'end scavenging now'. Is that the only time you can end the phase early?

You can end it any time, or when all your exploration cards will run out

Hope this will help!

(Official rules thread! )

I believe your interpretation is the same as mine, IE you can't end exploration if you draw a reality impact card for instance. Although I do feel that most cards in the unknown deck have the "Or end exploration" at the bottom, so that would make it possible to end exploration almost anytime you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
Someone said somewhere is this forum that there are 16 exploration cards with this mention, out of 26.

So, I guess you could say it is possible to end exploration almost everytime I want.

But.

Awaken Realms said I can end it anytime.

Who should I trust ? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patmanreturns wrote:
Someone said somewhere is this forum that there are 16 exploration cards with this mention, out of 26.

So, I guess you could say it is possible to end exploration almost everytime I want.

But.

Wow, that is a lot less than I thought!
I imagine it will come down to thematic "correctness", if it makes sense that you could end exploration, you can end exploration. At least I think that's how I will play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
That's pretty elegant.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patmanreturns wrote:

But.

There've been conflicting answers from the two publishers on a few things. Nothing game breaking, but it is peculiar. I play you can only end when 'or end the scavenging' is at the bottom of the card or when the cards are all gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
There've been conflicting answers from the two publishers on a few things. Nothing game breaking, but it is peculiar. I play you can only end when 'or end the scavenging' is at the bottom of the card or when the cards are all gone.

Thank you.
Is there somewhere a list of all these discrepancies ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patmanreturns wrote:

But.

Maybe they meant, you can end it anytime you want before you draw the next card? If you draw a card you have to resolve it, and if you don't want to, in order for you to end this the card have to have "or end discovering" text. I think this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
This would give us three options :

You can end exploration after resolving an Exploration card (ie. complete with Residents encounter or script resolution, when appropriate).

OR

You can pick the next Exploration card AND end exploration instead of resolving it IF it bares the mention "Or end exploration".

OR

You have to wait until there is no Exploration cards left in the Unknown deck. Then exploration is over.

Does this make sense ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But if you can end the exploration whenever you want (option A -Patrick), what is the use of the "OR end exploration" sentence at the end of some of the cards? I mean, the OR is clear to me: resolve or end, not resolve AND end. If can end after resolving the card, why would I need that mention only on certain cards? My take is:

- when you draw a card without that last sentence, you have to resolve it and draw the next one. I feel it more thematic / challenging-risky to keep exploring without knowing that I can leave.

-If I draw a card with the "OR end exploration" I have to decide whether to resolve it + draw another card or finish without resolving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
Shu1984 wrote:
But if you can end the exploration whenever you want (option A -Patrick), what is the use of the "OR end exploration" sentence at the end of some of the cards? I mean, the OR is clear to me: resolve or end, not resolve AND end. If can end after resolving the card, why would I need that mention only on certain cards? My take is:

- when you draw a card without that last sentence, you have to resolve it and draw the next one. I feel it more thematic / challenging-risky to keep exploring without knowing that I can leave.

-If I draw a card with the "OR end exploration" I have to decide whether to resolve it + draw another card or finish without resolving it.

I dont think going on after a resolved exploration card is mandatory, this is the difference.

I agree with you on this point : resolve OR end (when stated on the card of course).

BUT.

Resolving does not imply "draw the next one".

For instance, you can already have enough findings to fill your backpacks.
Or maybe you've just met residents with an unfortunate outcome, are wounded, and would rather go back home then going on scavenging.

This is how I see this answer by Awaken Realms : that's enough for tonigh, let's go home (and do not draw the next card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
OK. Official FAQ has spoken

Official FAQ wrote:
Q: When can I end Scavenging?
S: Scavenging ends automatically once the Unknown
deck is exhausted (i.e. there are no more cards in it).
Additionally, you can end Scavenging voluntarily
if the bottom section of the currently resolved
Exploration card contains the following phrase: “Or
end exploration”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
... Additionally, you can end Scavenging voluntarily if the bottom section of the currently resolved Exploration card contains the following phrase: “Or
end exploration” ...

So, would this mean you could end the exploration before taking any actions with the specific card, or instead, if you wished - take the action on the card, and then end your exploration .. ?

It gives both options to end it?

..or do you have to "end exploration" without taking an action on the card?

I'm still not 100% sure blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Henry-Lucet
France
flag msg tools
I think the « Or » stands for the whole card.

Do what's written on the card OR end exploration.

If you to take the action on the card, then you have to draw a new one after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Lalongé
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
... Additionally, you can end Scavenging voluntarily if the bottom section of the currently resolved Exploration card contains the following phrase: “Or
end exploration” ...

So, would this mean you could end the exploration before taking any actions with the specific card, or instead, if you wished - take the action on the card, and then end your exploration .. ?

It gives both options to end it?

..or do you have to "end exploration" without taking an action on the card?

I'm still not 100% sure blush

Sorry, I’m also still not 100% sure about this official FAQ. Probably because English is not my first language. What is the exact meaning of “currently resolved”?
The actual unresolved new card OR the actual card just completed?

Which one is right?
I draw a card with “or end exploration”.

Option A
I either do the card or end exploration without doing the card. I go home. End of exploration
Option B
I MUST do the card. Once done, I now have the option to end exploration instead of drawing another card?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iman amir
Germany
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
The rule say :
When the Unknown deck is depleted . Exploration automatically ends .

If we have only 2 cards on unknown deck . and we want to look around the area .
We must return 2 cards to exploration deck and unknown deck depleted .
Now Do Exploration automatically ends ? or we can continue and look around the area ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hughes
United States
Milton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Iman,

It would be nice if you posted each question in only one thread. Most folks here, I'd think, pay attention to the rules forum and not merely to individual threads. We'll see your questions if you post them in one thread, not in two.

When you post the same question in two threads, there are a couple of bad effects. First, I see that both threads have a new question and check each of them, only to find I wasted my time with the second thread. I'll bet I'm not alone in this regard. Second, if some answers go in one thread and others in the other, we may be talking past one another. It's not a conversation if some posts on the topic are in one thread and others in the other.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iman amir
Germany
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
phiwum wrote:
Iman,

It would be nice if you posted each question in only one thread. Most folks here, I'd think, pay attention to the rules forum and not merely to individual threads. We'll see your questions if you post them in one thread, not in two.

When you post the same question in two threads, there are a couple of bad effects. First, I see that both threads have a new question and check each of them, only to find I wasted my time with the second thread. I'll bet I'm not alone in this regard. Second, if some answers go in one thread and others in the other, we may be talking past one another. It's not a conversation if some posts on the topic are in one thread and others in the other.

Just a thought.

Sure . Sorry
Sometimes the users answer late . for that I asked in another post to more users see my question . But always you helped me . thank you so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.