11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New boardgamer:advice on dungeon crawler, to much choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ro vaBen
msg tools
Hi all,

I am coming in for advice. In short, I love board games, but don't get to play very often and never played dungeon crawlers exept for heroquest once or twice about 15 years ago.
I am very interested in trying one but am completely overwhelmed by the offering. I've been reading, searching and watching reviews but there is just to much.
I would really like my wife to give it a try, because of this I have some specifications I want:
- a dungeon crawler
- visually appealing
- not to much micromanagement, just not to many choices, for example a simple way of leveling up, and simple way of using spells/equipment.
- easy to understand and intuitive rules without a 100 page rulebook.
- quick and fun gameplay, not much downtime
- no DM needed, so we can play together in coop.
- not a lot of set up time.
- playable with 2 persons.

In my mind heroquest was like this, but I might be wrong + heroquest needs a DM.

Hope anyone can help and give some advice.
Thanks!

Ro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this excellent thread out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-col...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation Board Game is perfect for a first, not too complicated, dungeon crawler. Any of the D&D Adventure System games would work but this latest version has much improved leveling and campaign rules. You can probably still find the premium version with painted minis if that's something that matters to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote for a bunch of the responses listed.

My votes:
-Mice & Mystics
-Any of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventures boardgames (Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, etc.)
-Descent 2.0 (this can be kind of set up heavy and is only Dungeon Master-less with the app)
-Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (No minis, but excellent dungeon crawler)

Dungeon crawlers are probably my favorite themes, so I'm following this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The recently released Stuffed Fables went over well with my partner who's easily annoyed by games that are too rules-heavy. Choices are streamlined a bit by the dice-based action selection, but it doesn't feel frustratingly restrictive.

Quote:
- a dungeon crawler

Check.

Quote:
- visually appealing

Subjective, but I definitely think so.

Quote:
- not to much micromanagement, just not to many choices, for example a simple way of leveling up, and simple way of using spells/equipment.

Equipment is simple. There's no levelling up.

Quote:
- easy to understand and intuitive rules without a 100 page rulebook.

The dice/action system might take a little getting used to, but the rulebook isn't very long or complicated.

Quote:
- quick and fun gameplay, not much downtime

We played two player, so there was very little downtime. There could be more in a four player game, but turns went by quickly once we understood our options.

Quote:
- no DM needed, so we can play together in coop.

Check.

Quote:
- not a lot of set up time.

Check. Shuffle some card decks, pick a character, open the storybook, and you're ready to go.

Quote:
- playable with 2 persons.

Check.

Oh, and since someone mentioned the Warhammer card game, I guess I'll also mention the excellent One Deck Dungeon. There are no minis or map, but it's got everything I love about dungeon crawlers, and now that I think about it, it seems to fit all your requirements, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ro vaBen
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everyone, great link to that thread!
I'll be looking into mice and mystics and the d&d adventure games.
Other games I have found that will maybe fit are dungeonquest and arcadia quest.
Descent with the app looks tempting with all the great reviews, but might be a bit big to start with.

Stuffed fables actually sounds great, maybe a bit to much for kids if I read the comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've only played the first of the seven stories included in Stuffed Fables, and while its theme is family friendly and very cute, it didn't feel childish. Our session was pretty easy, but it was the first scenario, so I hesitate to declare it'll stay that way for the whole campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly care for the D&D board games for the reasons of things you are looking for--easy set-up; not too difficult; etc. I think any of them would be a fine choice. I have Castle Ravenloft and while I don't love it, I think it might be the place to start. The quests/scenarios in there seem a bit more varied than those of the other games in this series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something you could also look into...

Legends of Andor

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia?

It has cute player miniatures (monsters are dice or tokens), simple rules, is fun to play (in my opinion). By default it's like a semi-competitive mode: it has only one winner, but the players don't fight directly against each other, but rather hinder each other by moving the monsters. It also has a hardcore and a fully coop mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.