Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the boat on this one - and no late pledge or anything now available.

For those that have or are playing it, do you think this game will ever be sold on ebay? If so, how long before people start selling it, and it be a game that if played and sold, will still be in good condition?

Or will it go for another round on kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffab wrote:
I missed the boat on this one - and no late pledge or anything now available.

For those that have or are playing it, do you think this game will ever be sold on ebay? If so, how long before people start selling it, and it be a game that if played and sold, will still be in good condition?

Or will it go for another round on kickstarter?

There are copies on the BGG marketplace right now. I would expect as the first wave is delivered there will be some people who find it's not for them and sell up. That's how I got my copy first time around.

Apparently there won't be another kickstarter, but who can predict the future for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already on the secondhand market, although there are few copies going for extortionate prices because of scarcity. Likely after the 2nd KS arrives (April?) there will be more copies at lower prices.

Good conditions -- as with any used game, it entirely depends on who you buy it from. Mine has light scuffmarks. Someone who sleeved the game might sell it in near-perfect conditions.

Another KS -- Serious Poulp said they won't. They might go back on their word for a 3rd reprint but I expect not in the next couple of years.

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Good conditions -- as with any used game, it entirely depends on who you buy it from. Mine has light scuffmarks. Someone who sleeved the game might sell it in near-perfect conditions.

Mine is completely sleeved, but even sleeving it scuffed the edges of more than a few cards. They're relatively lightweight (they have to be to be able to ship so many in one box at a realistic price). Unlike with many games, though, this doesn't really detract from the game (except for the blue cards) because you never see the backs until you're pulling a card out of the box when its number is up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think next year, sometime after the second wave more reasonable priced copies will become available on the secondhand market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy might make it out at some point, I'm pretty sick of it at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
I would think next year, sometime after the second wave more reasonable priced copies will become available on the secondhand market.

I wouldn't count on that. Demand also tends to rise upon delivery, due to the influx of new questions, comments, and reviews. For example, KDM and Gloomhaven had high aftermarket prices for their second printings, even with retail availability. I'd still expect to pay a hefty premium to obtain this on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a look at the BGG market. Quite a few of them are pledges for the recent addition KS which people have backed, and can no longer afford so are basically selling their pledges (I am being generous on my assumptions here). But at a premium...

So one copy (as an example) they have the KS base ($129) and 3 KS expansions ($49) which they are selling for $285

Happy to pay full rate, but not to pay much more than the KS value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffab wrote:
Had a look at the BGG market. Quite a few of them are pledges for the recent addition KS which people have backed, and can no longer afford so are basically selling their pledges (I am being generous on my assumptions here). But at a premium...

So one copy (as an example) they have the KS base ($129) and 3 KS expansions ($49) which they are selling for $285

Happy to pay full rate, but not to pay much more than the KS value.

Then you probably won't ever get this game.

Who cares if people bought it just to resell? It's better for you if people did that - at least that means you even have the option to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My advice for:

Buyers: Hold on until wave 1 receives their deliveries, a percentage of them will sell the game on ebay. In the meantime try to find a good deal or bargain the price. Many people have played it a couple of times and then they sell it for extra cash. Try to take advantage of their need for $.

Sellers: Try to keep prices up and don't hit each other. As long as wave 1 is not delivered yet, there is a monopoly for this game. They need the game so they will pay $$ to get it. Try to make some offers and discounts just before wave's 1 pieces go on sale (here or on ebay), since the price will likely go up afterwards (high supply, low prices).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
Try checking the 7th continent website, they said they'll have some extra copies to sell from there at some point, or wait a while, almost definitely after the second wave has been shipped for a while, and look for an unsleeved copy with some damage but no missing component, that's probably your best shot at a relatively cheap copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aftermarket Price Gouging
What are the chances I'll ever find someone selling this even just at MSRP instead of $250+?
After market speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacDouglass wrote:

The other thing you can try is writing a post here, on Reddit, on Google+ asking if anyone would like to sell their copy for a reasonable price. I would define reasonable as 10-15% above Face Value. That gives the seller a little profit and also doesn't feed the secondary / speculation market of price gougers. Many people would prefer to sell a game this way vs. putting it on Ebay for the highest bidder.

I got a copy of Gloomhaven from the 2nd KS sealed and in perfect condition for $120. This was a few months prior to the Retail release and copies were selling for more online... just found a guy who backed, but realized he wasn't enamored with the game anymore and just wanted to make a few bucks for the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
MacDouglass wrote:

The other thing you can try is writing a post here, on Reddit, on Google+ asking if anyone would like to sell their copy for a reasonable price. I would define reasonable as 10-15% above Face Value. That gives the seller a little profit and also doesn't feed the secondary / speculation market of price gougers. Many people would prefer to sell a game this way vs. putting it on Ebay for the highest bidder.

I got a copy of Gloomhaven from the 2nd KS sealed and in perfect condition for $120. This was a few months prior to the Retail release and copies were selling for more online... just found a guy who backed, but realized he wasn't enamored with the game anymore and just wanted to make a few bucks for the trouble.

Who are you to decide what is a reasonable markup?

Price gouging has a specific legal meaning, usually retricted to items necessary to survival.

You can't price gouge a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
Keep in mind shipping is extra, and even more for first wave (people who have it now). Also, Gloomhaven was 80$ KS, right? So 120$ is a 50% mark up making the equivalent for the base+curse expansions of 7th continent 267$, which they're selling for only a bit more, 285$. For a game that isn't going to retail.
Edit: I'm using Jo Blogs's example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafaella wrote:
Keep in mind shipping is extra, and even more for first wave (people who have it now). Also, Gloomhaven was 80$ KS, right? So 120$ is a 50% mark up making the equivalent for the base+curse expansions of 7th continent 267$, which they're selling for only a bit more, 285$. For a game that isn't going to retail.
Edit: I'm using Jo Blogs's example.

The 2nd Kickstarter (which is what I bought) cost $99 and did not include shipping. I don't know what US shipping ended up being, but I think The guy made $20 on the whole deal... which seemed reasonable to me.

Edit: Looking at the KS page, it says shipping was free to the US (where I got my copy).

darksurtur wrote:

Who are you to decide what is a reasonable markup?

Price gouging has a specific legal meaning, usually retricted to items necessary to survival.

You can't price gouge a board game.

As for the legal definition... sure, sure. Hit us up with semantics. I think most people know what you mean when you say "Price Gouging" even if that meaning is not supported by the dictionary.

As for deciding what is a reasonable markup, that's up to the buyer. I'm not saying there is a magic number, but there may be people in the BGG community who aren't interested in squeezing every dollar possible out of their used / never opened copy of 7th Continent... and you'll never know if you never ask. To wit, I asked and found a copy of Gloomhaven at a price I found reasonable that was well below the "going rate" at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, Gloomhaven had two kickstarters too. Didn't realize that. Still, I think most people will sell for as much as they can, and banking on being one of the few who can snag an extra-cheap copy seems unrealistic, especially for a well-received OOP game. Maybe it's gouging to sell for more, but buyers are those who set market price, especially with sites like Ebay being around. Try the SP website when the games show up there and maybe if they get enough of these threads they'll do yet another reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The game was a huge success, and purchased by a lot of people, and I'm as big a fan as anyone. I truly love it and it's definitely my top gaming experience of 2017.

That said... it's not for everyone. It plays best with just 1 or 2. It can take a LONG time to experience everything the game has to offer. It can be pretty difficult (but fair IMO), and wiping the board completely when you fail will be a turn off for some. As big as the game is, eventually, you will get to a point where some won't want to play more of it because there will be no more surprises or puzzles to solve.

I happen to love it, but also think it is a very specific type of game. In that way some people are going to be okay playing it, experiencing it, and moving on. Hopefully that means their copies will make their way into the hands of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
The game was a huge success, and purchased by a lot of people, and I'm as big a fan as anyone. I truly love it and it's definitely my top gaming experience of 2017.

That said... it's not for everyone. It plays best with just 1 or 2. It take a LONG time to experience everything the game has to offer. It can be pretty difficult (but fair IMO), and wiping the board completely when you fail will be a turn off for some. As big as the game is, eventually, you will get to a point where you won't want to play more of it because there will be no more surprises or puzzles to solve.

I happen to love it, but also think it is a very specific type of game. In that way some people are going to be okay playing it, experiencing it, and moving on. Hopefully that means their copies will make their way into the hands of others.

I think you are right.
I'm pretty sure I will love the experience but will never go through the whole game.
I kinda dislike games where, once you fail you start all over from scratch.
You send more of your time doing what you already did than discover new things.
It will be ok for some time but after a hile, it will get old.

If I remember correctly, there is one of the add-on/stretch goal that allows you to mitigate that and be almost unstoppable.
As little challenging as it seems to be, I think it will be the way I will play it because I'm the kind of gamer who likes to experience a journey, not the kind who likes to get better and better at solving puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
Given that more material is shipping in 8 months, it might be a long wait, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
baylock wrote:

If I remember correctly, there is one of the add-on/stretch goal that allows you to mitigate that and be almost unstoppable.

There's prodigy mode, making things easier, and an Immortal mode which who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafaella wrote:
baylock wrote:

There's prodigy mode, making things easier, and an Immortal mode which who knows?

In the mean time, a trivial way to decrease the difficulty without breaking the game is to start the with some number of the Advanced Skills in your starting deck. e.g. add 10 random cards from that deck (or 15 or 20 - the more you add, the easier the game becomes, barring, of course "insta-death" events).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Rafaella wrote:
baylock wrote:

In the mean time, a trivial way to decrease the difficulty without breaking the game is to start the with some number of the Advanced Skills in your starting deck. e.g. add 10 random cards from that deck (or 15 or 20 - the more you add, the easier the game becomes, barring, of course "insta-death" events).

That's by far the best option I'd say, other methods I've seen kinda break aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
Rafaella wrote:
baylock wrote:

I guess it depends on your definition of "break the game" I'm so stubborn I refuse to play "easy" mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C GX
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from their site:
"We should have some copies available on our future online store once the Kickstarter fulfilment has been completed. These should be available in April/May 2017 in limited quantities."

source: https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/faqs

So, check there April / May, maybe, you'll get lucky.

Edit : 2017 seems a typo as the french version mention 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.