Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little conflicted about how fires affect characters. The rules are fairly clear that a character only takes a wound (in this case a serious wound) if they end up staying in a room on fire (the wound is only inflicted after the Event Phase, after Intruder Attacks...hence they stayed in the room on fire.

I had a game where a quarter of the Nemesis was completely on fire. I'd think a character moving through multiple rooms on fire (from 1 to another for several rooms) would, well, be playing with fire. Wouldn't it make thematic sense that you are taking significantly more risk walking through fire than avoiding it?? (Which leads to interesting strategic decisions...)

Perhaps each time a character PASSES THROUGH a room on fire (but does not remain there) they must chance taking a light wound (???) perhaps tied to a die roll result. As well, if, while passing through a room on fire, they take the room action, this means they spent more time in the conflagration and that could modify upwards the wound chance die roll for each action taken???

...Possibly too complicatedmodest but to me it makes cohesive thematic sense.

EDIT: There is one additional item not completely covered by the rules. In the Fire section, it is explicitly stated that Fires do not affect characters in hibernation chambers. But what about in Escape Pods? If not affected, I'd add this to the Fire paragraph; if it does affect players in escape pods, then it should be stated there as well. (Note that a character in an escape pod must exit it if an Intruder enters that tile...is Fire similar to that experience, or not? (I think the rules need to pin that down.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
There is one additional item not completely covered by the rules. In the Fire section, it is explicitly stated that Fires do not affect characters in hibernation chambers. But what about in Escape Pods? If not affected, I'd add this to the Fire paragraph; if it does affect players in escape pods, then it should be stated there as well. (Note that a character in an escape pod must exit it if an Intruder enters that tile...is Fire similar to that experience, or not? (I think the rules need to pin that down.whistle

Evacuation hatches and Escape Pods are different places.
Players must exit pods and return to the hatch if an Intruder appears in the relative Pod evacuation hatch, but nothing covers the fire event so I assume it doesn't affect people inside pods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, good point Stefano. So I would simply assume fires purposely do not affect characters in escape pods...and it was meant that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico C.
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps different issue, but in my game, i drew the event ‘explosion in the engine room’, which adds a fire marker to all engine rooms.

Later i looked through the event deck, and fire can either destroy all item and spread, or add the damaged marker and spread... but RAW, the engines were never damaged. The damaged marker would have prevented us to check them or fix them, but as it was, we happily went our merry way with burning engines.

Is this normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ediwir wrote:
Perhaps different issue, but in my game, i drew the event ‘explosion in the engine room’, which adds a fire marker to all engine rooms.

Later i looked through the event deck, and fire can either destroy all item and spread, or add the damaged marker and spread... but RAW, the engines were never damaged. The damaged marker would have prevented us to check them or fix them, but as it was, we happily went our merry way with burning engines.

Is this normal?

Currently, yes, this is the correct way to play the game. The engine tokens themselves are the only thing which affect the ability of the Nemesis to safely return the earth. Fire only damages characters in those rooms, and malfunction tokens only prevent characters from checking or changing the engine status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.