Subject: Brute first level up POLL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi I'm at my first Brute level up. I'm spec'ing (him/it) as a front line damage dealer. I will be donating to sanctuary to receive 2x blessings.
Poll

As a first perk would you:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Remove -1s from deck, no hide armour.
23.7% 32
Buy hide armour, take "ignore negative item effects, add one +1 card"
71.9% 97
Other (please comment below)
4.4% 6
Voters 135
This poll is now closed.   135 answers
Poll created by SilverSam
Closes: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 am

I will follow what the majority suggest, so thank you kindly for your input!
SS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Lacny
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other - Don't follow the majority, choose whatever your heart (or gut) tells you, live up to your mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Get rid of his negatives. There is better armor out there than hide armor and it doesn't have negative effects. My Brute is L4 and his attack modifier deck is a beast.

For the rest of my party (Mindthief, Scoundrel, and Tinkerer), the first perk of removing negative scenario effects was a no-brainer...after asking the board. The folks on here give really good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AUevans78 wrote:
Get rid of his negatives. There is better armor out there than hide armor and it doesn't have negative effects. My Brute is L4 and his attack modifier deck is a beast.

For the rest of my party (Mindthief, Scoundrel, and Tinkerer), the first perk of removing negative scenario effects was a no-brainer...after asking the board. The folks on here give really good advice.

Yes i read that post which is what prompted this poll. Naturally i would have wanted to cycle the deck as quickly as possible, so to avail of blessing cards. With hide armour, there'd be an extra 3 cards in deck, which (with my very basic maths) for each draw means approx 1.2% reduced likelihood of drawing crit.. That doesn't sound like much, but it's cumulative for successive draws.

If Brute's card usage is maximised and (he/it) gets a full 14 turns, each with attacks, that's approx. 20% swing in likelihood of pulling at least 1 crit. However, when compared to the extra 2 (or 4, if long rest) health provided by hide armour, it becomes a tougher choice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AUevans78 wrote:
Get rid of his negatives. There is better armor out there than hide armor and it doesn't have negative effects.

what armor is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I lucked out and didn't have to make this decision... I happened to get my 3rd battle goal checkmark at the same time as hitting Level 2, so I got 2 perks at the same time. And I picked the two you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagi Springfield
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
AUevans78 wrote:
Get rid of his negatives. There is better armor out there than hide armor and it doesn't have negative effects.

what armor is that?

Chainmail will come down the pipe soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Without providing any specific spoilers, how may other desirable items are there for Brute that also add negative modifier cards to attack deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nagi21 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
AUevans78 wrote:

what armor is that?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Chainmail

[Item 23] will come down the pipe soon enough.

That armor has negative effects as well.
I did see some armor that provides some shielding without the -1 cards, but that comes a ways down the line (or maybe it was in a random side scenario), and it was consumed instead of just spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You want him on the front line, you'll want all the help mitigating damage as he can get. I'd go Hide Armor in that case, unless it is a Brute + Tinkerer or maybe a Brute + Cragheart two-character team, in which case you'd want to increase his damage output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lufkin
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I feel like removing negatives is initially more powerful (and makes future adds to the deck more powerful as well) than adding positives early. I'd remove two -1's and ignore -1s from items and buy the hide armor, if you have two perks to pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are literally the two options the OP is choosing between...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lufkin
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
Those are literally the two options the OP is choosing between...

I mis-read the second options as using two different perks. I didn't realize the option on the card was "remove negative items perks AND add a +1"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðbrandur Magnússon
msg tools
Wouldn't do donations unless you bring The loot 1 / Move 4 card to every mission, the Brute likes some expensive items and having proper items trumps Blessings any day when your deck is as thick as the Brute's.

Also I do recommend the kill effect rather then the other one
The move will be consistently useful throughout your career and the kill effect can easily prevent more damage then the damage immunity. The move + attack might seem useful but honestly, the Brute doesn't sport many bot actions worth this tactic, not to mention that other cards will be coming down the line that do the same exact thing, only better. Honestly the most useful element of Juggernaught for me has been that I can use it to shift ever so slowly around an active battle, pocketing a little loot as I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quite unique advice.

tsuruki23 wrote:
Wouldn't do donations unless you bring The loot 1 / Move 4 card to every mission, the Brute likes some expensive items and having proper items trumps Blessings any day when your deck is as thick as the Brute's.

There are 2 reasons for donating:
1.it's my first game and I'm intrigued to discover the contents of envelope for myself. It may not work out, but if I don't try then I'll never know.
2.the Brute has what seems to be a relatively straightforward personal quest and probably won't be around for long enough to benefit from higher level cards. Might as well be altruistic with any additional pennies.

tsuruki23 wrote:
Also I do recommend the kill effect rather then the other one ;)
The move will be consistently useful throughout your career and the kill effect can easily prevent more damage then the damage immunity. The move + attack might seem useful but honestly, the Brute doesn't sport many bot actions worth this tactic, not to mention that other cards will be coming down the line that do the same exact thing, only better. Honestly the most useful element of Juggernaught for me has been that I can use it to shift ever so slowly around an active battle, pocketing a little loot as I go.

Fatal Advance certainly looks the stronger card. However to choose to lose it (or any card) before 2nd rest = one less turn in game before exhaustion. In essence that makes it a glorified move card until end game?
However I accept that juggernaut will probably get superceded very quickly.

It's a tough decision which is its simplest form boils down to whether Brute will be DPS class or tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.